Post-Game Talk: Game 75 - B's lose shootout but bank 6 of 8 points on trip and head home - Winnipeg 5 BRUINS 4 F/SO

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Winnipeg fan here....

Was hoping to get any news on Gryz. Terrible hit by Morrisey. Before the game I was saying to some buddies that we don;t need anyone on either side going down in a seemingly nothing game for either team. Morrisey made a bad decision and it was not good. Just wanted to come on and see if I could get any news on Gryz.

Just heard Morrisey will get nothing for the hit. I am shocked. I figured because of the way it was handled by the refs and Morrisey's clean history, he might get a couple of games. Not good for the game as we would no doubt be crying for a suspension as well if the shoe was on the other foot.

Know this though Bruins fans....Morrisey is one of the most intelligent young players we have and more importantly a very nice young man. He is not a goon and made a very poor decision. Please try not to paint him with the goon brush. He likely will never ever do this again in his career. He's that kind a guy.

Anyway, hope Gryz is ok and I really am hoping the Bruins make it to the finals. You are my pick in the East. I hope we can win our first playoff game(s) and if luck and the stars line up....maybe we will see you at the final dance.

Good Luck !
Good to hear from real fans. There are quite a few on the main boards who do not share the sentiment, even going as far as saying Josh deserves no blame on the play.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I thought these two plays were pretty different after watching the hit on Kulikov.

With Hertl, he was where he was supposed to be, coming in on the forecheck. He didn't leave his feet or launch, just finishing his check when Kulikov (literally) turns at the last second.

With this hit, Morrissey is out of position, comes in from the tops of the circles, and makes what appears to be a retaliatory hit, and launches into it.

Edit: the other difference was that Hertl was tossed in the 1st, costing him a game even without the suspension. Morrissey was allowed to keep playing, which surprised me.

I didn't see the other hit but I think I pretty much agree with you on this hit . Two things are for sure facts Grz did turn suddenly and Morrissey did launch in to him . Like him or hate him the only not bias opinion I saw before the ruling came out was Button and he said he expected a suspension as did I.

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
I'd love it if the B's won the cup this year and the league went on an eternal lockout afterwards. What a complete mess the NHL is becoming by the day. It's just way too aggravating knowing that incompetent f***ing morons control the outcomes of games and the voices of the NHL don't do a thing about it. This is a special kind of incompetence that is almost unfathomable. This league just keeps proving that they aren't concerned at all about player safety. I hope they get sued out the wazoo by all the players who've had the quality of their lives severely worsened by the Matt Cookes of the league, while the league has sat back for years and haven't done a f***ing thing to prevent any of it.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I’m rather peeved that DOPS refuses to protect Bruins players.

I remember Marchand getting suspended a few seasons ago-the hit wasn’t bad (and if I remember no injury) but the reason was because of what was happening on the ice that set it up.

I swear Marchand gets suspended for breathing but other teams can do whatever they want.

Now I’m really worried about playoffs-refs will let other teams do whatever they want and we may be limping into the playoffs.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I'd love it if the B's won the cup this year and the league went on an eternal lockout afterwards. What a complete mess the NHL is becoming by the day. It's just way too aggravating knowing that incompetent ****ing morons control the outcomes of games and the voices of the NHL don't do a thing about it. This is a special kind of incompetence that is almost unfathomable. This league just keeps proving that they aren't concerned at all about player safety. I hope they get sued out the wazoo by all the players who've had the quality of their lives severely worsened by the Matt Cookes of the league, while the league has sat back for years and haven't done a ****ing thing to prevent any of it.
See, the problem isn't the Cookes or Marchands or Torres. They deliver bad hits, but only a handful each through their careers. The problem is that there are bad and questionable hits every night in the NHL, and the DOPSS (The extra S is for Sometimess)((that extra S is a typo)) will not suspend those plays, even doing mental gymnastics to blame the victim most times. So the everyday players don't know where the line is, constantly cross it, maybe get punished this time, or not, or see their own player get hit with a bad one, and see no punishment, and think that's okay and continue to cross the line. That leads to more bad hits, more injuries and more frustrations from fans and players alike.

Last edited:

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
See, the problem isn't the Cookes or Marchands or Torres. They deliver bad hits, but only a handful each through their careers. The problem is that their are bad and questionable hits every night in the NHL, and the DOPSS (The extra S is for Sometimess)((that extra S is a typo)) will not suspend those plays, even doing mental gymnastics to blame the victim most times. So the everyday players don't know where the line is, constantly cross it, maybe get punished this time, or not, or see their own player get hit with a bad one, and see no punishment, and think that's okay and continue to cross the line. That leads to more bad hits, more injuries and more frustrations from fans and players alike.

Good points, I agree. You also see players let up on good hits because like you said, there is no definitive line anymore. Some players will take liberties regardless. Tom Wilson comes to mind. But ultimately the inconsistency with the decision-making of the DoPS is the biggest problem. When a player essentially has their career taken away from them and there are no reprocussions for the dirty hit that caused this, players feel the same applies to them and players start recklessly throwing their weight around. There is a huge bias against the Bruins when it come to the DoPS, it's very hard not to notice. But league-wide, it's still terribly crooked. I won't be spending a cent or second of my life on the NHL if it keeps getting worse (which it is right on track to doing so).

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I didn’t think a suspension was needed. Perhaps a match penalty. Gruzlkycklz turned really late.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If the game wasn't tied, I would have put money on the boys going after those guys and getting into fights.

But they couldn't do much when points were on the line, sadly. Though you had Kevan hit someone cleanly and get called for a penalty so that's moot.

Last night officiating was embarrassing. And DoPs is an inconsistent joke.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I guess Morrissey charging all the way across the ice & leaving his feet to plant someone's head into the boards was acceptable, then? Hi, Mr. Parros!

Don’t put words in my mouf. I’m taking the whole from behind piece of it totally out of the equation because Gryz turned. If you wanna argue that Morissey has the responsibility cuz he went so high then ok.

A match penalty probably would’ve been better but i won’t split hairs.

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
Don’t put words in my mouf. I’m taking the whole from behind piece of it totally out of the equation because Gryz turned. If you wanna argue that Morissey has the responsibility cuz he went so high then ok.

A match penalty probably would’ve been better but i won’t split hairs.

Not my intention to put words in your mouth. I'd just love some consistency. Bergeron "turned" in '07 and Randy Jones got two games. This hit on Grzelcyk should've warranted more than a 5-minute major. Perhaps much more. Imagine if that was Crosby that Morrissey hit? He'd be banned for life.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Not my intention to put words in your mouth. I'd just love some consistency. Bergeron "turned" in '07 and Randy Jones got two games. This hit on Grzelcyk should've warranted more than a 5-minute major. Perhaps much more. Imagine if that was Crosby that Morrissey hit? He'd be banned for life.

The inconsistencies are maddening. For penalties, suspensions, goals, incidental interference etc. We can certainly agree on that

Upperdeckjet

Dec 14, 2011
Hey guys, I'm a Jets fan and as far as the hit goes, I know Josh and I am able to justify ( in my own mind) that the 5 minute penalty was sufficient. He is not a dirty player.

Yeah , Marchand is a dirty bugger, but I would take him on my team anytime.

That Donato kid though, Wow, you have a good one there. I replayed that goal over and over, it was a beauty.

My good buddy was a Bruins fan forever and passed away last year. We argued like crazy. I wish.....

Be loyal to your team!

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
I guess Morrissey charging all the way across the ice & leaving his feet to plant someone's head into the boards was acceptable, then? Hi, Mr. Parros!

No kidding, the look of Morrissey's face standing behind the bench as the ice cleared at the end of the second period said it all to me - he knew he was guilty and going to have to answer for his hit. To not even toss a few games his way for skating as far as he did (pre-meditated intent) and leaving his feet should of warranted a few games at the very least - what a joke.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad