GDT: Game 75: Avalanche vs Golden Knights | 1 PM MT | March 24, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Super important game for Landeskog, really strong effort and a super important penalty goal. I bet his self confidence got a huge boost which is really, really important for the Avs.

This is the Landy I love (I've missed him sometimes) and he really showed his capacity in this game. Hopefully he will be able to show this kind of intensity and work effort on a more regular basis. This was good old Landy Viking mode.

Fleury had a really strong game for Vegas, impressive, a fun season for him.

Edit: I forgot Varly, many of us owe him an excuse.

Reactions: BrickAHL

member 116861

Ok now that the adrenaline has worn down ...some thoughts.

1. Varly was amazing today. Solid throughout and you cant blame him for that goal that was seriously a great shot.
2. Landeskog came with that immigrant mentality today. Man was he good. He turned his compete lvl to 9000. Very impressed with his game.
3. Mackinnon is overhandling pucks again. Not liking that trend. Vegas has some fast guys and they did a very good job on him today. Damn is Nate Schmidt a good dman.
4. Alt was surprisingly solid. A solid showing indeed and easily should play ahead of Warsofsky.
5. Didnt even pick up on the fact that Andrighetto and Wilson werent playing until the second period. Says it all.
6. If we make the playoffs I dont know if I want to play Vegas lol last week I was dead set on it but after today....
7. Kerfoot and Compher were solid today. Really liked both of their games today.
8. Toninato should be playing more. He's responsible out there and the way the games are being played right now I rather have him in the trenches than Sven.
9. Como annoyed me more than usual today.
10. Soderberg loves afternoon games. He was a horse today.

Agree 100 percent with everything especially the Comeau part, he played extra dumb today and not just because of that breakaway/empty net thing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I still prefer Vegas. For as hard as we played today, Vegas played just as hard. For some reason this felt like more than just another game to them.

Also, I still want to know how tf so many Vegas fans showed up today. Like, I know there are a ton of transplants in Denver but Vegas? Vegas?!?!?! Every home game of theirs, the fans are 50/50 split lol.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Especially with how steady Alt looked.

Girard-EJ
Z-Barrie
Nemeth-Alt
I dont think the team trusts Girard enough. That’s a lot to ask from a 19 year old as well. I think he’s trying to do too much at time, and it’s hurting him. He’s fine in the third pairing role where they can shelter him.

Also, definitely don’t pencil in Alt after one game. I thought he struggled in the third when the pace picked up more. What I find more interesting is that the team has more or less given up on Lindholm. He’s completely healthy and they won’t play him. He took warm ups the other day too.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
What I find more interesting is that the team has more or less given up on Lindholm. He’s completely healthy and they won’t play him. He took warm ups the other day too.

Yeah..

Warsofsky
Siemens
Alt
Lindholm

We will see, the coaches don't know, we don't know but Alt looked ok today. They need to step up and compete.

Nemeth obviously less icetime last games since EJ is back but one major reason to this is probably also less PK in general for the Avs. Not a big difference on his 5 on 5 time I think (?).

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Landy was unbelievably strong on the boards tonight. I can't remember a game where he made more of a difference on the boards.

Reactions: 21

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
On Alt, did McNabb say in pre-game or early in the game that he is a big part of the future? I thought he is a pending UFA after the season. The statement struck me as odd.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah..

Warsofsky
Siemens
Alt
Lindholm

We will see, the coaches don't know, we don't know but Alt looked ok today. They need to step up and compete.

Nemeth obviously less icetime last games since EJ is back but one major reason to this is probably also less PK in general for the Avs. Not a big difference on his 5 on 5 time I think (?).
If you look at tonight's game, Alt was much better than anyone on that list. Obviously they didn't play but his play was better than their best games in recent memory.

Reactions: 21

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Siemens came out of the gate pretty strong his first few fames and has come back down to earth. Give it a few games with Alt.

There’s no way Alt is a big part of the future. Took them a month to even trust putting him in a game. Plus I think he’s pretty old.

Reactions: cgf and McMetal

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
If you look at tonight's game, Alt was much better than anyone on that list. Obviously they didn't play but his play was better than their best games in recent memory.

Hopefully you are right, would be really important for the Avs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't want to say a lot of negative things here because we should all enjoy the win in a very entertaining game, but there were some. Landeskog was a complete horse, but his offencive skills today show why I don't see him as a 1st liner for the future. Siemens lack of puck skills are becoming more apparent every game and is causing more turnovers. He's still a warrior who could become the Colorado Eagles captain one day, but we gotta find a replacement for him in the future. I agree with TMV that Girard is doing too much, but not sure I agree that Avs don't trust him. I think Avs just want him to play his game learn from his mistakes, he hasn't looked bad to me by any means the past week or so. He's more likely to have offs games than go full Lindholm.

Didn't see it posted, but Bednar talked about some injuries....

- Andrighetto: Lower body - DTD - No timetable for return.
- Wilson: Lower body - DTD - No timetable for return.
- Bernier: Infection - DTD - No timetable for return (sounded like it could be a week based on our Bednar phrased it).

Sounds like they both have some nagging injuries (perhaps are groin pulls or hips IMO) which keep coming back.

I'd hate to lose McNabb.
I have my complaints about McNab, but I even admit he's quite good when he's around the benches. I like him much less when he's up the booth not wanting to call players out as I mentioned in the last GDT.

Haynes though had another train wreck of a game. His "OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH".....(five seconds of silence)......"What happened Peter?" was big time cringe worthy during the Soderberg/Perron collision. It sucks because I really want to cheer for the guy; he seems like a great person and family man, but the dude just sucks at his job plain and simple (except when it's against Detroit, I admire a good troll job).

Reactions: UncleRisto

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I didn’t mean the Avs don’t trust Girard, just not enough to put him up full time with EJ. That’s a lot this time of year. Next year I wouldn’t be surprised to see it to start.

I thought Haynes was going to have a stroke in OT.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Comeau managed to put his stick under the puck when he was swiping at it, which I didn't think would be possible in that situation.

Reactions: BrickAHL

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
For the record everyone. I apologize to Mark Alt & all you guys. I was completely wrong about him. He kept up amazingly well. His tape to tape passes were fantastic, and his defensive ability was great.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I though he was garbage and should be behind Siemens and Lindholm on the depth chart, swapping him with Warsofsky when required depending on the average height of the opposition

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I still prefer Vegas. For as hard as we played today, Vegas played just as hard. For some reason this felt like more than just another game to them.

Also, I still want to know how tf so many Vegas fans showed up today. Like, I know there are a ton of transplants in Denver but Vegas? Vegas?!?!?! Every home game of theirs, the fans are 50/50 split lol.
I'm sure it was.
1. With a win today they would have clinched a PO spot.
2. I'm sure they wanted to send a message to the Avs that they will be a very tough opponent if we play them in the first round.

Great game today. Really felt like a PO game. I'm not happy that it went to OT as we need all the ROWs we can get against LA and the Blues.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

They're a brand new team, too. Like, have that many people moved from LV to Denver SINCE OCTOBER? You'd think if they moved years ago they would have adopted the Avs. Either that, or they're traveling, which is a kind of short trip but still weird for an expansion franchise to have that kind of loyalty regardless of their unexpected season.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
They're a brand new team, too. Like, have that many people moved from LV to Denver SINCE OCTOBER? You'd think if they moved years ago they would have adopted the Avs. Either that, or they're traveling, which is a kind of short trip but still weird for an expansion franchise to have that kind of loyalty regardless of their unexpected season.
The novelty is key to bandwagon fans who like seven teams whenever they're doing well.

Arcade Fire

Trash human being.
Apr 17, 2014
The Suburbs
Thought Alt played well in the first period but wasn't solid in the next two as he kept having problems getting the puck out of our zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad