GDT: Game 75: Avalanche vs Golden Knights | 1 PM MT | March 24, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
Hell of a game two win without the puck luck. Flower was great but three posts, and a ton of scoring chances while leading this game should never have gotten to the coin flip.

Side note: Does anyone else feel like they are grooming Rycroft to take over for McNabb more and more lately? Then Liles will cover all the intermissions with Keefe.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Kerfoot had a great game

He did, I'll eat crow on saying he needed a healthy scratch during the LA game. Best he's looked in a long time. He faded as the game went on, but his talent came through several times.

Other thoughts:

- Landy was just genuinely awesome all night. Some won't give him credit because he didn't put the puck home on his two great chances, but he was the #1 reason tonight, IMO, that the top line looked threatening. He was everywhere, and he was really using his size and strength well.

- Soderberg is so important...the guy just does everything well. Love to pick up Stastny in the off-season, him and Soda as the 2/3 centre's would give this team some really nice depth. Soderberg's line is consistently the second best on the Avs, they get some great zone pressure in. Nieto has really impressed me all season. No real talent, but he works hard and knows where to be.

- I think MacK's looked off for a bit. He's fumbling the puck uncharacteristically, and sometimes seems a little casual to me actually. That especially comes through to me on the powerplay when he's on the halfway, he's lost it several times now in the past couple games when he over stickhandles. I don't want to say he's almost a little arrogant with the puck, but that's sometimes how it looks to me. Hopefully he can refocus and get that edge back.

- Z was awesome in his own end all game, best Avs defender IMO. As long as he keeps his feet moving he's done an excellent job of learning how to rub the opposing forward out of the play. Girard is struggling, EJ still looks like a guy returning from injury. His timing just looks a little off to me as well.

- Really wish the Avs' forwards were a little more aggressive at challenging the points and along the wall. Vegas was able to generate a lot of chances by passing back to the blueline and then tossing it at the net or beginning a cycle. I get that it's how Bednar wants them to play, but I have to think they could be a little more aggressive. Once the other team gets the puck back to the point their D almost always have time, which immediately allows them to set up a cycle if they want to rather than 50/50 pucks along the wall.

- Also wish the Avs would just shoot more. I notice a lot of times they're cutting in from the wing and they either carry it behind the net or just stop up. Wish they'd just throw it on goal.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
He did, I'll eat crow on saying he needed a healthy scratch during the LA game. Best he's looked in a long time. He faded as the game went on, but his talent came through several times.

Other thoughts:

- Landy was just genuinely awesome all night. Some won't give him credit because he didn't put the puck home on his two great chances, but he was the #1 reason tonight, IMO, that the top line looked threatening. He was everywhere, and he was really using his size and strength well.

- Soderberg is so important...the guy just does everything well. Love to pick up Stastny in the off-season, him and Soda as the 2/3 centre's would give this team some really nice depth. Soderberg's line is consistently the second best on the Avs, they get some great zone pressure in. Nieto has really impressed me all season.

- I think MacK's looked off for a bit. He's fumbling the puck uncharacteristically, and sometimes seems a little casual to me actually. Hopefully he can refocus and get that edge back.

- Z was awesome in his own end all game, best Avs defender IMO. As long as he keeps his feet moving he's done an excellent job of learning how to rub the opposing forward out of the play. Girard is struggling, EJ still looks like a guy returning from injury. His timing just looks a little off to me as well.

- Really wish the Avs' forwards were a little more aggressive at challenging the points and along the wall. Vegas was able to generate a lot of chances by passing back to the blueline and then tossing it at the net or beginning a cycle. I get that it's how Bednar wants them to play, but I have to think they could be a little more aggressive. Once the other team gets the puck back to the point their D almost always have time, which immediately allows them to set up a cycle if they want to rather than 50/50 pucks along the wall.

- Also wish the Avs would just shoot more. I notice a lot of times they're cutting in from the wing and they either carry it behind the net or just stop up. Wish they'd just throw it on goal.

Awesome write up mate. I wish you'd get a job for Avs and write on the official site or something.

Reactions: BrickAHL

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
giphy.gif

EJ <3

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
MacKinnon is also going to have to get used to this treatment. The "gang up on him" mentality seems to work, especially when it's a team that can skate like Vegas.

Defensemen are going to have to realize that they need to jump up in the rush when he has the puck and teams defend him like that. Can't be 3-on-5 every time.

Reactions: McMetal

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Vegas are a really, REALLY strong team (top 4 odd in the entire NHL) and super consistent. That should give us confidence tonight to go on with it. Still hoping for a top 5-6 in the entire NHL here this season. Like to go 5-1-1 to finish the season - 101 points would be cool. I think our team is amazing. I'll forgive the game against LA as an anomoly, because we are better than that (and every team is allowed a night off ocassionally).

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It's easy to use the gang treatment when there's so little offensive depth. Once we add more scorers on the team I bet we don't see it as often.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
My biggest takeaway from this game was the fact that the Avs are getting experience playing in big games. They are the youngest team in the league, and no one thought they would be where they are right now. This experience is invaluable. Best case scenario we place 1WC and play Vegas, but regardless of that, these games are huge for us. Great to see.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I mean if we buried our chances Mackinnon would have still had a couple points. He didn't play his best game or anything but I don't think it's something to be too concerned about

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I didn't even notice Alt, which is a good thing for a player like him.

Also wonder why MacKinnon didn't go out for the 2nd star of the game,maybe he didn't know?

Reactions: BrickAHL

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Overall, not a ton to complain about however, there are a few things that stand out to me:

Toninato TOI: 4:21
Siemens TOI: 3:42

I think Toninato can handle a few more minutes, especially in a true 4th line role. If Wilson ever gets healthy you can stick him with Toninato and Bourque and tell them to just wreak havoc on the forecheck and hit everything.

I think this is the end for Siemens. That low of TOI, coach doesn't trust you at all. He'll certainly be out next game.

MacKinnon, Soderberg, Landeskog, and Rantanen all played 23+ minutes tonight. They have to be exhausted. You can alleviate that with the addition of a true 4th line.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Overall, not a ton to complain about however, there are a few things that stand out to me:

Toninato TOI: 4:21
Siemens TOI: 3:42

I think Toninato can handle a few more minutes, especially in a true 4th line role. If Wilson ever gets healthy you can stick him with Toninato and Bourque and tell them to just wreak havoc on the forecheck and hit everything.

I think this is the end for Siemens. That low of TOI, coach doesn't trust you at all. He'll certainly be out next game.

Especially with how steady Alt looked.

Girard-EJ
Z-Barrie
Nemeth-Alt

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Hell of a game two win without the puck luck. Flower was great but three posts, and a ton of scoring chances while leading this game should never have gotten to the coin flip.

Side note: Does anyone else feel like they are grooming Rycroft to take over for McNabb more and more lately? Then Liles will cover all the intermissions with Keefe.

Yes.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

I could see that, McNabb has been doing this forever, maybe he's thinking he's done

Reactions: Lemonlimey

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Looks like I missed a hell of a game. f*** yeah for the win!

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Ok now that the adrenaline has worn down ...some thoughts.

1. Varly was amazing today. Solid throughout and you cant blame him for that goal that was seriously a great shot.
2. Landeskog came with that immigrant mentality today. Man was he good. He turned his compete lvl to 9000. Very impressed with his game.
3. Mackinnon is overhandling pucks again. Not liking that trend. Vegas has some fast guys and they did a very good job on him today. Damn is Nate Schmidt a good dman.
4. Alt was surprisingly solid. A solid showing indeed and easily should play ahead of Warsofsky.
5. Didnt even pick up on the fact that Andrighetto and Wilson werent playing until the second period. Says it all.
6. If we make the playoffs I dont know if I want to play Vegas lol last week I was dead set on it but after today....
7. Kerfoot and Compher were solid today. Really liked both of their games today.
8. Toninato should be playing more. He's responsible out there and the way the games are being played right now I rather have him in the trenches than Sven.
9. Como annoyed me more than usual today.
10. Soderberg loves afternoon games. He was a horse today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad