GDT: Game 75: Avalanche vs Golden Knights | 1 PM MT | March 24, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Vegas defensemen are shockingly good. Only two games but Mackinnons been shutout both times.

That's fine, because it opens the ice up for other forwards. I'm hard on Bednar, but he moved Mack with other line-mates tonight. Perfect chess move.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Wow was that a hockey game! It's been a while since I fist pumped that hard after a win. That will be an outstanding playoff series if it happens.

What a game by Landy, and what a clutch way to finish. He's been playing outstanding lately. Missed a couple chances earlier, and made up for it with a massive game winner in the SO. He has got that shot on lock, and it really seems like when it's a huge moment, his ability to find the net on that move gets to near perfect. As if there was ever any doubt why he wears the C.

Varly again with a clutch game silencing those who think he doesn't perform well in clutch moments. If this team makes the playoffs, it will be primarily on the back of MacKinnon's clutch goals, and Varly's clutch saves down the stretch. They have both been by far the biggest reason for this team's success lately.

Pretty sure Varly talked to Bednar about how to shoot on Fleury. He's done that for a few years now. He used to talk to Duchene all the time before he shot in the SO. Hilarious that Bednar couldn't watch, and was literally looking the other way. I have a feeling Varly was telling him to go with Landy last because Fleury might fall for his go to move.

The last two games were very interesting in terms of evaluating where the Avs are at.

The LA game, they came out confident, and were playing well, but then just got knocked on their ass. Both figuratively, and literally. Like a tough fighter that comes out confident, but runs into another tough SOB and gets a dose of reality.

The Vegas game they came out equally confident, and just matched the speed and play of Vegas. Showing they're much better suited for that style of play.

Both games were intense playoff atmospheres. Both games the Avs looked confident, and had some jump.

The LA game was bruising, physical hockey, from a bruising physical team, and they seemed to take the will from the Avs a bit, as they got away from their game, which just compounded their mistakes.

The Vegas game was a match of speed, and the Avs hung in there against a very dangerous, and equally confident opponent. They kept playing their game, and even in a very tight game of inches, it worked stylistically against a team like Vegas.

Two very interesting matchups for the Avs.

These games, and probably the playoffs if they make it, will tell Joe Sakic what their strengths and weaknesses are. Can the fast, highly skilled approach Bedanar is implementing, work against the bigger clubs in the playoffs, or will they get pushed out of playoff series, and need to get bigger up front to compete?

That will be for after the season to think about though. This year, they are just riding this wave of new found confidence in their game, and playing smart, hard hockey at it's best. Great to see this team finally get their mojo back. Love the way they've been playing these last few weeks.

Last edited:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For what it is worth, my two cents on the game....

1. I'm not sure I exactly remember the last time I saw such an entertaining AVs game. So much suspense, so many scoring chances by both teams. Such great goal-tending. So much defense-optional play. Kinda reminded me of some of those high-scoring games we used to have against the Blackhawks. Except the goalies were both stone walls in this one.

2. Alt had a good first outing. Yes, he tapered off in the 2nd and especially 3rd period, but the first was really good. He made a lot of good breakout passes. He hasn't played a lot lately, not at all since the trade dead-line so I was expecting a lot more rust. Don't get me wrong, he's not a world beater or anything, but I was still impressed. It would be kinda cool if he and Siemens could both become solid 6-7 guys for us next season.

3. I'm still wondering if that whole conversation between Varly and Bednar after OT was Varly telling the coach to allow the Knights to shoot first. That's something Patrick Roy would do. A cocky goalie feeling "it" knows that if he stops the first shot, it takes the pressure off the shooters. He (Varly) was absolutely incredible tonight.

4. Soderberg really is such an under-rated part of this team. As much as I love him, I'd love to add Pauly Walnuts this summer. Have Stastny center a more traditional second line and get second PP unit minutes. Soderberg gets the third/shutdown line and primary PK minutes. I'm not willing to wait another year for a 2nd line center to magically develop. Allow the kids to develop on the wing in a scoring role much like MacKinnon did in his rookie year.

5. Not really an AVs thing, but those asking about McNab stepping down and Rycroft taking over, I think it's only a matter of time. But....it won't improve much. Haynes is the weakest link with the AVs media group. I liked him at first because he was better than his predecessor...but seriously we're talking about being better than Doug f***ing MacLeod here. Such faint praise shouldn't be enough to keep you in a job this long. I know this stuff is subjective but I find both his incompetence at keeping the focus of the talk about the game in hand and his 14 year old screaming girl personality when he does decide to deliver play by play, drives me to swap to the other teams broadcast much more than I would like to.

6. Really looking forward to Monday night. Would love to see another strong AVs game to help build momentum in this final push.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I feel like Nemeth has gotten progressively worse over the course of the season. He's not a huge liability by any means, but he's getting beat to the puck almost every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad