Post-Game Talk: GAME 74 - Tampa Bay 3 BRUINS 1

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Brad does so many little things on and off the ice that make the team better. I have never seen a player (and I have been watching for many years) that works as hard as Brad does. The guy plays with so much heart.

I fear that people are expecting Maroon to bring more to the games than he can or will.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see him as any kind of savior.
I think you can relax, anyone thinking he is the savior needs to turn in their Bruin fan card.

He will be an impact for what he brings have no doubt but this team without legit centers is only going as far as the goaltending takes them.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I think you can relax, anyone thinking he is the savior needs to turn in their Bruin fan card.

He will be an impact for what he brings have no doubt but this team without legit centers is only going as far as the goaltending takes them.
After reading some posts here, I think some feel he will have more of an impact than is possible.

IMO, (bottom line), the Bs have too few top-level players. We have Pasta and Brad for forwards. I think the Bs have some very good 3d and 4th liners. IMO one very good center would make a difference but where do we get him? We were so spoiled at having Bergy (and DK).

The season was far better than I thought it would be. If they get past the first round, I will be happy.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Brad does so many little things on and off the ice that make the team better. I have never seen a player (and I have been watching for many years) that works as hard as Brad does. The guy plays with so much heart.

I fear that people are expecting Maroon to bring more to the games than he can or will.

I hope I am wrong, but I don't see him as any kind of savior.
I think a lot will depend on Maroon's physical condition after surgery. Wouldn't be wise for Maroon to jump right into scraps if he isn't 100% healthy. Wouldn't be around long. Marchy should never really have to scrap anymore. First he is a small player that is at a disadvantage against bigger opponents. 2nd he is one of the few skilled forwards you need on the ice. After all he has done for the Bruins his teammates should go through a wall for him. I think Sweeny painted himself into a corner. He tried at the deadline to make the team more competitive and grittier but a lack of assets held him back.

Reactions: Gordoff and TCB

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
If Marchand is playing hurt (and I totally buy that he is), he needs to sit and heal up for the playoffs. Understandable that he’s a competitor and doesn’t want to, but it’s the coaching staff’s job to make and implement the tough decisions. A healthy, rested 63 is much more valuable than an injured, tired, snake bitten one heading into the the games that count.

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
If Marchand is playing hurt (and I totally buy that he is), he needs to sit and heal up for the playoffs. Understandable that he’s a competitor and doesn’t want to, but it’s the coaching staff’s job to make and implement the tough decisions. A healthy, rested 63 is much more valuable than an injured, tired, snake bitten one heading into the the games that count.
I totally agree.

I know that he has been sitting out some practices but if he is hurt, he needs a break. Brad is such an important player for the Bs

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
If Marchy is playing hurt he will only be worse in the play offs. Even if they make a decision to rest players as a lot of teams do for the last couple games it won't help. Playoffs are brutal. If an opposing coach thinks Marchy is playing injured he will have his players focus on him. Take him and Pasta out of the equation and the Bruins are in trouble.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
My opinion, they could have taken this one if they didnt over pass so many times when they had a good scoring opportunity.
It is what it is.
Too unselfish, I think. It might also be a lack of confidence in themselves.
If a GM wants a team with sandpaper and grit he has to draft that type of player. Sweeny acquired Maroon recently through trade because he sees a need for some truculence. We will see how that ship sails when he is inserted into the line up. In today's NHL you need skill and grit. There has to be players on the bench that opposing teams are aware of if they take liberties with your skilled players.
The Bruins definitely need to find an R.A. (Registered Asshole) this offseason. A bona fide enforcer would absolutely do this team a world of good. Only a center is needed more.
Marchand’s biggest sin is that he’s trying to do too much. Easy for me to say, but he needs to relax a little. He’s wound tighter than a clock spring. I think if he just clears his head a little, the goals and points will come. And as we all said last night, he needs a rest.
IMO, (bottom line), the Bs have too few top-level players.
Yes.
We have Pasta and Brad for forwards. I think the Bs have some very good 3d and 4th liners. IMO one very good center would make a difference but where do we get him? We were so spoiled at having Bergy (and DK).
Elias Lindholm is the best FA center available this summer. The Bruins would be negligent if they did not make a serious pitch to him. That’s really their best option because the odds of getting a 1C in this year’s draft that will start on opening night are minuscule at best. I would even try to get Pierre Luc Dubois, in addition to Lindholm. I know all the stories about PLD, and much of his rep is well earned, but he’d be a great 2C on this team (with Lindholm at 1C) and he would give the asshole quotient on this team a boost the moment he walks in the door. He’s an asshole who can play, and that’s fine with me.
The season was far better than I thought it would be. If they get past the first round, I will be happy.
1000%.

Last edited:

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Sadly, the Bruins just don't have the offensive depth needed for the playoffs. And sitting one of their better offensive defenseman (Lohrei) doesn't help.

On a positive not, this year's squad reminds me a lot of the 2010 Bruins, a team that had zero expectations going into the playoffs, and yet, nearly made it to the Conference Finals.
Marchand , Coyle, and Debrusk are cold.
The B's cannot afford anyone to be cold, especially top 6, in order to win.
Debrusk is frustrating. He usually does okay in the playoffs, so hope the switch is turned on this year as well.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)

cmon Charlie what the hell was this

It’s infuriating it really is.
Only caught the 3rd but it wasn’t pretty. No idea what they were trying to do the last 2 or 3 minutes. Looked liked they thought there were up 2-1 lol. Smh.

My opinion, they could have taken this one if they didnt over pass so many times when they had a good scoring opportunity.
It is what it is.
I still think that no one on the team other than Pasta has any confidence in their shot, any confidence that they can actually score off of it. Hence they’re always passing in order to get the goalie moving and out of position so that there’s a half-empty net. But it’s so in their heads that they don’t just give up open looks they give up on empty nets as well. Infuriating.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I still think that no one on the team other than Pasta has any confidence in their shot, any confidence that they can actually score off of it. Hence they’re always passing in order to get the goalie moving and out of position so that there’s a half-empty net. But it’s so in their heads that they don’t just give up open looks they give up on empty nets as well. Infuriating.
I wish I could “like” this more than once, because I think you’re absolutely right.

Reactions: Gordoff and BTO

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
After reading some posts here, I think some feel he will have more of an impact than is possible.

IMO, (bottom line), the Bs have too few top-level players. We have Pasta and Brad for forwards. I think the Bs have some very good 3d and 4th liners. IMO one very good center would make a difference but where do we get him? We were so spoiled at having Bergy (and DK).

What if the Bruins get past the 1st round, and then blow a 3-0 series lead in the second? Will you still be happy? :)

Instead of breaking up the Wotherspoon-Peake combo (who were very good the previous game vs Florida), by inserting Carlo with Wotherspoon, why just give Carlo the night off?

Reactions: Gordoff

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
What if the Bruins get past the 1st round, and then blow a 3-0 series lead in the second? Will you still be happy? :)
It would of course be disappointing.

My #1 on my life's bucket list is to see the Bs win the cup at the Garden (with me there). They need to hurry as I am OLD. I saw St Louis and Chicago skating on Bs ice with the cup.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Injuries have been such a big part of their recent playoff runs I would hope they learned from last season to not chase records or stats, and just make sure their key players are as rested and healthy as possible even if that means they drop in the standings.
I mean, did pushing for home ice really help?

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
Injuries have been such a big part of their recent playoff runs I would hope they learned from last season to not chase records or stats, and just make sure their key players are as rested and healthy as possible even if that means they drop in the standings.
I mean, did pushing for home ice really help?
Well, they had game 7 in the bag before the choke job. I know what you're saying, but still it helped in the sense that the crowd was great (unlike the one in game 7 of SCF in 2019), and the Bruins were able to storm back from a 2-0 deficit to take the lead. How did not having home ice advantage in game 7 vs Carolina go in 2022? I never thought during the entire game that the Bruins had a legit shot to win that one. At least in last year's game 7, I had some hope for a few minutes, before the Panthers ripped my heart out.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Didn’t hate the game. They just didn’t have the legs to get across the proverbial finish line. Seemed like whenever they could put a shift or three together, Tampa just stayed the course until Boston hit a wall. It didn’t feel like a lack of effort

The decision making could have been better, as they passed 10x too many when they should have made a play toward the net.

Pastrnak isn’t Kutcherov, and I’m ok with that. I just wish a few other guys would sack up and chip in a bit more to lessen the load on Pastrnak. It can’t be Heinen. Love the guy, but if Heinen is your next threat after Pasta then we have problems. At some point the top 6 guys gotta contribute like top 6 guys. Or at least be a threat

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
If Marchy is playing hurt he will only be worse in the play offs. Even if they make a decision to rest players as a lot of teams do for the last couple games he it won't help. Playoffs are brutal. If an opposing coach thinks Marchy is playing injured he will have his players focus on him. Take him and Pasta out of the equation and the Bruins are in trouble.
That's already happening, just look at the game against the Rangers, and last night's game. They know all they have to do is take time and space away from Pasta and Marchand, then let the others try to beat you.

gerrycheeversmask

Feb 18, 2021
Behind Enemy Lines
It would of course be disappointing.

My #1 on my life's bucket list is to see the Bs win the cup at the Garden (with me there). They need to hurry as I am OLD. I saw St Louis and Chicago skating on Bs ice with the cup.
Holy hell, that must suck. Hopefully, one day you're dream comes true and the Bruins win the cup at the Garden with you in attendance. Game 7 Triple OT. Matt Poitras with the winner!!!

Didn’t hate the game. They just didn’t have the legs to get across the proverbial finish line. Seemed like whenever they could put a shift or three together, Tampa just stayed the course until Boston hit a wall. It didn’t feel like a lack of effort

The decision making could have been better, as they passed 10x too many when they should have made a play toward the net.

Pastrnak isn’t Kutcherov, and I’m ok with that. I just wish a few other guys would sack up and chip in a bit more to lessen the load on Pastrnak. It can’t be Heinen. Love the guy, but if Heinen is your next threat after Pasta then we have problems. At some point the top 6 guys gotta contribute like top 6 guys. Or at least be a threat
I'm really happy for Heinen that he's in the Top 6, but I feel bad for Pasta who has to play with him on the same line.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Biggest issue tonight was how easily Tampa sped through the neutral zone.

Fighting after a clean hit can backfire, especially when you don't have that role player on your team. Tampa and the building were alive after that faux display of toughness.

I'm a big JVR fan, but can see him being the odd man out in the playoffs.

Those who could watch the game on NESN were fortunate. Pang and Botterill yapped the entire game, and the majority of the time about things that have nothing to do with the game.
These are words you don't hear every day! :biglaugh:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Holy hell, that must suck. Hopefully, one day you're dream comes true and the Bruins win the cup at the Garden with you in attendance. Game 7 Triple OT. Matt Poitras with the winner!!!

I'm really happy for Heinen that he's in the Top 6, but I feel bad for Pasta who has to play with him on the same line.
Heinen has been quite good too! No knock on Heinen. I just know that when Marchand/Coyle/Zacha/Debrusk are playing well, Pastrnak is a little more free to do his thing. There are definitely games where Pastrnak literally carries the entire offensive load, but against stronger teams with very structured and disciplined Centermen, Pasta usually can't do it alone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad