GDT: GAME 74 | Senators @ Wild | We're Going Streaking Edition | Tue Apr 2 2024, 8PM | TSN5, RDS2

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah must have been, don't remember how long he was on the ice but I think it was the end of his shift. Just remembered the word in english, he "whiffed" on the puck

I got laughed at badly before the season saying that Montreal's rebuild was now tracking better. That's what happens when you hire competent people.

Just another one of my "silly" comments that eventually don't look silly at all.
Year 3 of their rebuild and they’re battling for where we are. Just because ours isn’t going great doesn’t mean their’s is.

You saw the games against them? We skated circles around them.

Both of our rebuilds likely end up in the exact same place. Decent teams that don’t win a cup

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
Yeah must have been, don't remember how long he was on the ice but I think it was the end of his shift. Just remembered the word in english, he "whiffed" on the puck

I got laughed at badly before the season saying that Montreal's rebuild was now tracking better. That's what happens when you hire competent people.

Just another one of my "silly" comments that eventually don't look silly at all.
Still think they’re a few years away from the playoffs IMO but its sad we’re below them when our roster is much better, hopefully we get there before them but I have to say my confidence in this team is at an all time low. Meaningless wins at the end of a season when there is no pressure dont hype me up anymore after a few years

Reactions: Xspyrit

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Seems a bit early to be tapping yourself on the back, they are awful outside of goaltending this year, had they gotten the kind of tending we had all year they'd be battling it out with Chi and SJ for Celebrini

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I really hope Staois does something with goaltending in the summer. Simply can't go into next year with Korpisalo as our 1A

We need to get rid of both goalies. A sub .900 season should almost be an automatic "see ya later" with an organization demanding success.

What's the most you can get for cap relief when you send someone down? 1.25M?

Waive korpi, sign a free agent for 1.25 because litterally any NHL goalie should be better than that.

Somehow dump forsbergs contract and sign or trade for a goalie.

They have both been almost the two single worst regular playing goalies this year. Practically any 2 NHL goalies would be better. Get 2 journeyman below average goaltenders. Waive korpi. Dump forsberg or buy him out.

That should make us go from 30-32nd in goaltending to 25-30 in goaltending.

We might get a handful more wins with that, which might be enough to play meaningful games next year.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Maybe we'll actually be a good team next...

Ah f*** it

After the period Batherson said something about "hopefully we can carry this play over to next year" and then the team proceeded to lose the game.

Lol

That's the problem. We're worried we'll get more of this next year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Year 3 of their rebuild and they’re battling for where we are. Just because ours isn’t going great doesn’t mean their’s is.

You saw the games against them? We skated circles around them.

Both of our rebuilds likely end up in the exact same place. Decent teams that don’t win a cup

Yeah but we basically have nothing outside of the NHL. We are actually close to our peak (I know lol) unless Staios start pulling off some miracles

Slafkovsky just turned 20 y/o and is beasting already. Suzuki is reaching a level that I didn't know was possible, he's having a better season that Stutzle... Caufield has an off-year but he'll be back with 35+ goals seasons. Guhle, Newhook, Dach, Montembault/Primeau already on the team

They have Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Kapanen, Fowler, Engstrom, etc outside of the NHL. On top of their picks, they have the Jets 1st this year but they have the Flames first next season that could turn out to be good

Seems a bit early to be tapping yourself on the back, they are awful outside of goaltending this year, had they gotten the kind of tending we had all year they'd be battling it out with Chi and SJ for Celebrini

It's not about the useless "tapping myself on the back" but more about people needing to learn to not laugh at and flame others who might have some insight.

Last edited:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah but we basically have nothing outside of the NHL. We are actually close to our peak (I know lol) unless Staios start pulling off some miracles

Slafkovsky just turned 20 y/o and is beasting already. Suzuki is reaching a level that I didn't know was possible, he's having a better season that Stutzle... Caufield has an off-year but he'll be back with 35+ goals seasons. Guhle, Newhook, Dach, Montembault/Primeau already on the team

They have Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux, Roy, Beck, Mesar, Kapanen, Fowler, Engstrom, etc outside of the NHL. On top of their picks, they have the Jets 1st this year but they have the Flames first next season that could turn out to be good

It's not about the useless "tapping myself on the back" but more about people needing to learn to not laugh at and flame others who might have some insight.
Eh, they look weak and soft when we play them, with none of those guys beasting at all.

As someone who doesn’t care about the Habs until we play them, I’ll have see them impress me in a game against them before I start buying what you’re selling.

In the mean time, they are hated rivals so don’t expect many people in here to be supportive of your “The habs are better than us” narrative. Just saying… it’s a Sens board, and most in here are passionate fans, the leafs and habs suck when it comes down to it… nice and simple. ;)

As for prospects, until they do something in the NHL they don’t move the needle much, just a bunch of names.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Learned based on what? You making a claim that they are the real deal far too early? They haven't proven anything, they are terrible this year and have a handful of prospects that may or may not turn out.

Leave the "I told you so"s until they actually accomplish something worth talking about.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021

So now you're Learning people? Unreal. Your self-citation is ridiculous. It'd be funny if it didn't take up pages of every thread, you where close to correct even sometimes and you didn't take shots at other posters. There is words for that...narcimissed?....as?????. Can you Learn me those words please?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Eh, they look weak and soft when we play them, with none of those guys beasting at all.

As someone who doesn’t care about the Habs until we play them, I’ll have see them impress me in a game against them before I start buying what you’re selling.

In the mean time, they are hated rivals so don’t expect many people in here to be supportive of your “The habs are better than us” narrative. Just saying… it’s a Sens board, and most in here are passionate fans, the leafs and habs suck when it comes down to it… nice and simple. ;)

As for prospects, until they do something in the NHL they don’t move the needle much, just a bunch of names.

The games against us are like 5% of their season. Means nothing.

Hated rival? We haven't had an important game or hate filled game against them in years. I don't feel we have much of a rivalry with anyone. It's kind of hard to build rivalries when you always suck and miss the playoffs.

The fact we have no prospects ready to improve this team drastically while being 26th in the league is frightening. It should be a much bigger concern of yours. I don't know why anyone would brush this off.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
After the period Batherson said something about "hopefully we can carry this play over to next year" and then the team proceeded to lose the game.

Lol

That's the problem. We're worried we'll get more of this next year.
We're now conditioned to expect it, which sucks as a fan. If we ever come out of the gate 10-0, we'll all be wondering when we start the 20 game losing streak.

Reactions: jbeck5

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We played pretty well last night but had a few costly defensive breakdowns. The end result (a loss) is better for our draft position, so this game helps our cause.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The games against us are like 5% of their season. Means nothing.
They've sucked the other 95% too,
Hated rival? We haven't had an important game or hate filled game against them in years. I don't feel we have much of a rivalry with anyone. It's kind of hard to build rivalries when you always suck and miss the playoffs.

The fact we have no prospects ready to improve this team drastically while being 26th in the league is frightening. It should be a much bigger concern of yours. I don't know why anyone would brush this off.
We have our key spots mostly locked up with quality young players, the fact is that we are really only looking for a top 4 RHD, goaltending and depth pieces.

We'll add a top 10 pick this year along with the Bruins 1st, we very well could trade Chychrun or Chabot if we secure a Top 4 RHD via free agency, which could very quickly turn around our prospect pool with minimal impact to the roster.

There's work to be done but it's not all doom and gloom, our issue isn't a lack of prospects, it's being locked into our current goalies, and some balancing of the roster, resolve that and hire a permanent coach and we'll be fine.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We might end up still having Korpisalo if the Staois comments are any indication. So, maybe the goaltender change is having a different backup versus Forsberg? A coach that can get them to play better team D is something that could have a positive impact and could be a key aspect especially given how things might play out on other fronts. We’ll have to see how this unfolds.

Reactions: LiseL

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

And wanted to add, they have a 89.93 SV% which is 16th in the league, so statistically they are getting average goaltending

It's more us that has gotten some of the worst goaltending in the league and should be above them easily in the standings but the point is our rebuild is supposed to be 4 years ahead.

A significant difference is they brought in competent people right away and kept/brought some vets like Monahan, Savard and Matheson for example. They have way less talent on the NHL ice as of now but they play with more fire and are tied with us in the standings despite us being done rebuilding, as our ex GM would say.

Yeah but this is only their 3rd season rebuilding... They were in the SCF in 2021 (we were in the ECF in 2017), they fell apart in 2021-22 (we did in 2017-18). This season is equivalent to our 2019-20 season in terms of length... so unless they don't progress in the next 4 seasons...

Suzuki and Slafkovský are looking pretty damn good. There's always immeasurable hype in Montreal but Guhle is getting a lot of that too and several others.

I'm not selling anything, I don't want them to be better than us but as soon as Gorton, Hughes, MSL, Lecavalier, Machabée, etc were in place, I have seen their rebuild trend in the right direction. I kept saying for 10+ years that as long as Trevor Timmins is still in charge we don't have to worry about the Habs, but they moved on from him as well

You're right that nobody is going to support a "The habs are better than us" narrative but it is also not what I am saying. I am saying that their rebuild (which started 4 seasons later than us) has been TRENDING better, which is a very real worry since we might have to compete vs them in the future if we ever become more competitive.

Note that despite some thinking I am some kid of "hater", I was saying on the MAIN BOARDS that the Sens had the best future in the NHL after that 2020 draft which I also called "one of the best in NHL history". The problem is it really went downhill from there with what I call Dorion MESSmanagement

Regarding the Leafs I am not very worried about them because their window is now and many of their players are 30+ (Tavares is 33). Matthews, Marner and Nylander are 26, 26 and 27 so they will keep them competitive but they'll still have to do some really good moves to keep that team competitive.

Finally, you're right about the prospects but Batherson, Stone, Sanderson, Greig, Pinto were all prospects at some point too but many still knew they were going to be good at the NHL level... Habs have several of these guys who will too. For example, Lane Hutson is an elite talent, the only hope is he doesn't become a Quinn Hughes type but a lesser version.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Learned based on what? You making a claim that they are the real deal far too early? They haven't proven anything, they are terrible this year and have a handful of prospects that may or may not turn out.

Leave the "I told you so"s until they actually accomplish something worth talking about.

Fair but it's more the way that "opinion" was received and flamed by some that was annoying. From what I have observed/analyzed, their rebuild has been trending a lot better for 2 years now. I mean, they probably got more from their Chariot, Toffoli, Lehkonen, Kulak firesale than we did for all ours (minus Karlsson) and they also did get two first round picks in the Monahan moves.

The "I told you so" is not about me being right or not, it's more about don't mock/flame opinions that might end up not that silly after all. My point for a while was that our rebuild was not trending well and look at the threads made this season like "this rebuild is a massive failure". I (and some others) just had that opinion earlier than some.

So now you're Learning people? Unreal. Your self-citation is ridiculous. It'd be funny if it didn't take up pages of every thread, you where close to correct even sometimes and you didn't take shots at other posters. There is words for that...narcimissed?....as?????. Can you Learn me those words please?

Not sure what "learning people" means but first, as we get older, if you are not willing to learn from others or teach others, something is missing. I try to learn from others every single day, even from the poor and the homeless. We all have things to learn from each others.

That being said, I did not even say that I was making them learn or something, I said people need to learn to not laugh/flame others for voicing out an opinion that might end up insightful. But really, this is internet, it used to shock me but not really anymore. Even now, I should learn that it is stupid to even try to talk about it and save me the time.

Difference from before is I don't want to get into these pissing matches anymore so I'll let you flame me as much as you want and hope it makes you have a better day.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Picks and prospects are great. Not all of them will make it. Some will be very average to below average NHLers. Thats life.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
They've sucked the other 95% too,

We have our key spots mostly locked up with quality young players, the fact is that we are really only looking for a top 4 RHD, goaltending and depth pieces.

We'll add a top 10 pick this year along with the Bruins 1st, we very well could trade Chychrun or Chabot if we secure a Top 4 RHD via free agency, which could very quickly turn around our prospect pool with minimal impact to the roster.

There's work to be done but it's not all doom and gloom, our issue isn't a lack of prospects, it's being locked into our current goalies, and some balancing of the roster, resolve that and hire a permanent coach and we'll be fine.

The upcoming draft is crucial for us, as Staios work in the offseason. The margin for error is thin, we still have a lot of potential, fingers crossed. Need Staios and company to turn things around

Picks and prospects are great. Not all of them will make it. Some will be very average to below average NHLers. Thats life.

For sure but they fixed their Trevor Timmins issue and drafting could become good going forward... Let's hope it doesn't turn out the case because their trading has been phenomenal under new management and they have the potential to sign good UFAs if they are a team on the rise.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The upcoming draft is crucial for us, as Staios work in the offseason. The margin for error is thin, we still have a lot of potential, fingers crossed. Need Staios and company to turn things around

For sure but they fixed their Trevor Timmins issue and drafting could become good going forward... Let's hope it doesn't turn out the case because their trading has been phenomenal under new management and they have the potential to sign good UFAs if they are a team on the rise.
We’re getting another draft this year and next. End of the day an nhl roster only holds so many players. I don’t see them becoming a powerhouse anytime soon. They don’t have a single player or prospect better than stu or Sanderson at the moment.

B

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Yeah but this is only their 3rd season rebuilding... They were in the SCF in 2021 (we were in the ECF in 2017), they fell apart in 2021-22 (we did in 2017-18). This season is equivalent to our 2019-20 season in terms of length... so unless they don't progress in the next 4 seasons...

Suzuki and Slafkovský are looking pretty damn good. There's always immeasurable hype in Montreal but Guhle is getting a lot of that too and several others.
Habs rebuild is definitely going well, but Slaf is such an underwhelming 1OA. Suzuki is a gem, but I'd be surprised to see Slaf hit 20g next year. Prospects having a hot streak in garbage time isn't too impressive unless they're putting up insane numbers.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Habs rebuild is definitely going well, but Slaf is such an underwhelming 1OA. Suzuki is a gem, but I'd be surprised to see Slaf hit 20g next year. Prospects having a hot streak in garbage time isn't too impressive unless they're putting up insane numbers.
Slaf has improved so much.. over this year.. His game is growing. I think he's going to be a really valuable player.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Slaf has improved so much.. over this year.. His game is growing. I think he's going to be a really valuable player.
No doubt he'll be good, and they have a lot of depth on the backend in their pool, but I'm not really sold on them yet. They've go a long way to go imo and while their pool has good depth I don't see anything that takes them to another level.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Habs did something the Sens never did once in the entirety of their 7 year rebuild, and that's trade for a young cost controlled player with upside in Newhook, or solid vet signed like Matheson, and that's for a small price. He's a ~50 point guy this year, signed for a small price for the next few years, and looks quite good in a top 6 role at 22, and Matheson is a very solid top 4 D signed for another 4 years (when acquired) at 4.8.

Not once did the Sens add a young guy like that to come up with the team. Duclair could be considered, but he was let go.

Not once did the Sens trade their plethora of picks for a young player with term or RFA years. It's honestly quite absurd for an 8 year rebuild.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad