GDT: Game #74 3/23 7 PM - Tampa Bay at BRUINS | NESN, TVAS (French), WBZ-FM 98.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
C7mpHXWX0AEFSgu.jpg:large

giRtows.jpg

dBQN38J.jpg

l4lzvP2.jpg

Hzl2Vca.jpg
GmkO3pm.jpg

960.jpg

Tonight's Officials

NHLHS_31.jpg
130p_furlatt.jpg

Referees Trevor Hanson (31), Eric Furlatt (27)
Linesmen Matt MacPherson (83), Steve Barton (59)

Ntl. Anthem Todd Angilly

WAYBACK MACHINE

THE PERFECT HOCKEY GAME

BOSTON vs TAMPA BAY, LIFETIME SERIES

The Bruins and Lightning are meeting for the 93rd time in their histories with the Bruins having a 59-23-9-1 record and a 308-236 scoring edge in those games.

The Bruins are 34-6-6-0 in their 46 home games of this lifetime series with a 170-104 scoring advantage in those contests.

The Bruins have won the 1st 3 games of this season’s series with a 4-3 shootout win in Tampa on 11/3, 4-1 victory in Boston on 11/27 & 4-3 victory in Tampa on 1/31 … They are 15-3-1 in their last 19 games overall vs. the Lightning & are 11-2-0 in their last 13 games vs. Tampa in Boston.

Fun Fact: The Lightning are 1 of 3 teams (PHI, OTT) that have never swept the Bruins in a season series.

TONIGHT’S GAME

The Bruins host the Lightning tonight in the 4th of 5 games between these teams and the 2nd of 3 this season at TD Garden … The Bruins are 38-28-6 thus far this season with a 19-15-0 mark on home ice … They are 16-8-1 vs. Atlantic Division opponents and are 24-17-6 vs. Eastern Conference teams this season.

They are concluding tonight their 14th of 16 sets of 3-games-in-4-nights this season … They are 7-6-1 in game 1s, 6-5-3 in game 2s and 5-6-2 in game 3s of those series so far.

They are wearing their 3rd uniform system for the 14th of 15 games this season … They are 6-6-1 in those games so far.

MILESTONES APPROACHING

Zdeno Chara is 2 points shy of his 600th NHL point.
Drew Stafford is 3 points short of his 400th NHL point.
Colin Miller is playing his 99th NHL game tonight.

INJURIES (144 total man-games lost)

Tim Schaller – Lower body injury suffered 3/8 vs DET; Has missed 6 games.

https://link.nhl.com/static/gamenotes/public/20162017/[email protected]?1490268952000

The Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning, who play each other at TD Garden on Thursday night, sustained losses Tuesday night that hurt their respective playoff chances.

And on Wednesday, while neither was on the ice, more bad news hit both teams.

Victories by the Toronto Maple Leafs and New York Islanders added to the woes of the teams that bring three-game losing streaks into Thursday's contest.

Toronto's victory at Columbus moved the feisty young Maple Leafs past the Bruins into third place in the Atlantic Division, still with a game in hand on Boston.

The Islanders' win over the rival New York Rangers moved them within two points of the Bruins in the battle for the last Eastern Conference wild card, also with a game in hand. Boston and the Islanders play in Brooklyn on Saturday night.

Tampa Bay remained five points out of the final wild-card spot.

The Lightning, sellers at the trade deadline, clawed their way back into the playoff picture with a four-game winning streak while prevailing in six of their first eight March contests. But they lost their last three -- all at home, allowing 15 goals in the three games, including a 5-3 setback to the Arizona Coyotes on Tuesday night.

Tampa Bay gave up three goals to the Coyotes in the third period.

"This ranks up there, though with how important the game was to us, a 3-2 lead at home going into the third in a must-win game for us," Lightning coach Jon Cooper said. "To give it up like we did, it's ... yeah ... it's frustrating to say the least."

Said defenseman Victor Hedman: "It's back to the drawing board. Just remember there's still a lot of games left. We obviously are disappointed in the result. We can't lay down. We can't fold. We just have to refocus."

The Bruins outplayed the Ottawa Senators on Tuesday but fell victim to great goaltending by Craig Anderson. They dipped to 5-5 in their last 10 games and are 12-6 in 18 contests under interim coach Bruce Cassidy.

Boston is trying to end two years of frustration that saw the Bruins barely miss the playoffs both seasons.

"Every year writes its own story," Cassidy said. "There's a lot of guys in that room that weren't here last year, including myself. So we'd like to write our own story.

"Clearly the last two games (Monday in Toronto, Tuesday at home) were important games for us and I thought we played very well. We had some break downs. I don't think I'm going to wake up tomorrow and see us eliminated, so we're going to go back to work on Thursday against Tampa."

The Bruins have won all three games against the Lightning this season, one in a shootout. Tuukka Rask won all three games in the Boston goal and is 12-5-1 with a 2.60 goals against average, .904 save percentage and three shutouts lifetime against Tampa Bay.

Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy played only one game against the Bruins in his young career. Back on Nov. 3, he stopped 28 of 31 shots before losing a 10-round shootout to the Bruins and Rask, who improved to 6-0 to start the season.

Boston winger Jimmy Hayes, who scored the shootout winner, has only two goals in 54 games this season.

Last edited:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nice GDT, I`ll be streaming this one as it doesn`t appear to be on one of the multitude of channels I have

BsEuphoria

The Future
Sep 21, 2013
All games are critical for this team this time of the year, but this game might be the straw that breaks the camels back for this team if they can't find a way to win. They need to taste victory again before the Isles game.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Must win that's for sure,if they loose four in a row at this stage of the season they don't deserve to make playoffs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Game 7 in 2011 was one of the best hockey games I have ever watched. The fact that the Bruins won only added to the experience.

Both goaltenders played out of their minds the entire game. And it came down to one goal by Nathan Horton in the third period. The officiating was superb- they put their whistles away and let the boys play. And play they did....

:)

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
Game 7 in 2011 was one of the best hockey games I have ever watched. The fact that the Bruins won only added to the experience.

Both goaltenders played out of their minds the entire game. And it came down to one goal by Nathan Horton in the third period. The officiating was superb- they put their whistles away and let the boys play. And play they did....

I was there with Camfan.. it was so surreal and once they scored, the whole place was freaking out.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

I called it the perfect hockey game - wide open and not a single penalty was called and it ended 1-0 for the good guys. There may never have been a better Game 7 in the entire history of the NHL.

The refs that night were Dan O'Halloran & Stephen Walkom. :handclap:

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I called it the perfect hockey game - wide open and not a single penalty was called and it ended 1-0 for the good guys. There may never have been a better Game 7 in the entire history of the NHL.

I always cite this game when the "MOAR GOALZZZZ!!" millennials start their "Here's how to make the game better" horse ****.

My other favorite thing about this game is to ask Habs complaining about the refs handing it to the Bruins, "Show me one play that was a blatant penalty?". Crickets after that. And it is always Habs fans, Tampa fans know what a great game it was.

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada

Thanks Fenway, great work!

I was going to mention this (in bold). This is the same ref officiating the Bs game in Toronto last Monday... how can it be?

Also saw D. Moore in that vid.

Never was I so happy of a Bs win and at the same time so sad for the other team losing (especially M. St-Louis).

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Thanks Fenway, great work!

I was going to mention this (in bold). This is the same ref officiating the Bs game in Toronto last Monday... how can it be?

Also saw D. Moore in that vid.

Never was I so happy of a Bs win and at the same time so sad for the other team losing (especially M. St-Louis).

I remember him crying and it was very sad. Stamkos playing after his nose getting hit by the puck too....two guys that I really like.

Let's Go Bruins!!! Get the win!!! :handclap::handclap::handclap:

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
Any idea on who is playin left wing with Krejci and Pasta? I would give Cehlarik another chance or maybe even Debrusk. Beleskey is clearly still hurt and rusty

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
So suppose Hayes will be back in.Not like there are any other options,obviously Bruins brass have given up on Cehlarik,he's still in Providence.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Any idea on who is playin left wing with Krejci and Pasta? I would give Cehlarik another chance or maybe even Debrusk. Beleskey is clearly still hurt and rusty

Haven't herd of any call ups.I think this is it for the lineup,other than Jimmy .

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Win and I have a lot of hope.

Lose and I lose all hope.

Pretty big game mentally I think. Not that they aren't all big games from here on out anyway.

Yep. This isn't a "must-win" yet, but mentally, I'd say it is. We've absolutely blown it 2 going on 3 years in a row. They have to snap out of it early this year... If 3 losses in a row is early.

Win tonight and against NYI and we're over the hump, I think. They've already put themselves in a pretty big hole but with a little help from other teams, and some wins on our end, we'll be fine. Hopefully NJ will beat the Leafs tonight. Isles have the Penguins tomorrow, and then travel to Boston to play the 2nd of their back-to-back games... Schedule is in our favor with that one.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Is Schaller ready to go yet?

I'd love to see a forward line-up devoid of Belesky, Hayes, Nash and Acciari. Those 4 have combined for all of 9 goals and 15 assists in over 189 man games, which is terrible production, just awful.

And this game is a must-win. Lose this one and the next in regulation, and Boston's goose is pretty much cooked.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Haven't used the kids magic 8 ball in years

Bruins tonight :handclap:

TMac21

Save us Sweeney
May 21, 2003
Home record has been good under Cassidy, let's add to it tonight, Go B's!

gvkmedia

20th Captain in franchise history.
Mar 2, 2002
Oshawa.
www.hollandbloorview.ca
First it was Monday, Toronto and Tuesday, Ottawa - have to win games. Secure our spot. Now the pressure is turned up another couple of notches. The squeeze is getting tighter. The air is thin.

The memories of the last 2 years debacles are creeping into the mindset of those involved (especially us fans!!). This cannot happen again - can it? Oh yes it can.

But wait - there is hope! That hope is taking 2 points tonight and 2 more on Saturday! All the pressure will then be lifted to manageable levels! Breathing will become easier. Life itself will be simpler. This is what I want. This is what should happen.

In the words of the great imaginary explorer, Jean-Luc Picard.... make it so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad