GDT: Game 73: Philly @ Washington | 4/12/22 | 7:00p

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Three straight Ws against quality teams which means the Caps lose this one to a stinker of a team. Orlov not skating, and I guess our optimism about Lavi seeing McMichael's value over Eller was misplaced. No Kempny though, so not all bad.

Last edited:

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Three straight Ws against quality teams which means the Caps lose this one to a stinker of a team. Orlov not skating, and I guess our optimism about Lavi seeing McMichael's value over Eller was misplaced. No Kempny though, so not all bad.

Seems CMM fate is sealed this season..will only play if there is an injury...or Caps are down 3-0 in the 1st series

Last edited:

Jun 15, 2007
How can anyone defend Lavi's lineup decisions?

CMM is a better player than Eller right now.

We do not have 12 forwards better than CMM.

Also that Johansson-Backstrom-Oshie second line will be putrid.

Reactions: Misery74

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Eller had a legitimately good game against Boston so I get not taking him out of the lineup. And I’d rather not put McMichael back on wing unless necessary. However Eller does need to be on a short leash because his body of work this season has been poor.

I wouldn’t risk playing Orlov tonight if there is a greater than 0 chance of aggravating an injury. He’s one of their most important players. Let him be healthy for the playoffs.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Orlov had regular shifts all game, wondering if it's more maintenance vs. real injury
NHL Stats

maybe we'll be seeing more "maintenance" days to give some of the guys a little break since we are now entering a crazy busy stretch to end the season.
We were the walking wounded headed into the BOS series last year

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
How can anyone defend Lavi's lineup decisions?

CMM is a better player than Eller right now.

We do not have 12 forwards better than CMM.

Also that Johansson-Backstrom-Oshie second line will be putrid.
Look at the lines. Lavi is masking how bad Eller has been by putting him with Mantha and Wilson. I’d rather see CMM skate with those guys.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
from another perspective Lavi has been trying to find a combo that potentially has all 4 lines creating offense
Mo-Eller-Willy is just the next iteration to see if something works

love how fans dismiss Lavi's last 3 games of line combos that generated W's
Lavi values veterans over youth. Experience rather than speed. When we play an elite team in the postseason, with speed, this will be to his own detriment.

Going into a series against a FLA or CAR, this is a recipe for disaster.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
That 2nd line looks like an "if we have to" grouping.

As in "we'll roll this line only if we have to".

MASH unit plus Mojo. Probably lowest ES ice time of the bunch by game's end.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Looks like the starting goalie job is up for grabs again. I guess it worked in 2018.

Also, I really liked Mantha-Eller-Wilson last game. Not happy McMicheal is sitting, but that line did earn another shot.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Well the second one of the goalies look like they will solidify the spot they fall on their face. Wouldn’t be surprised if bad Sammy shows up tonight

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
arrested-development-dead-dove.gif

Looking at the lineup and seeing CMM as a scratch today.

Tbf if Eller has found his form in time for the playoffs then that's not a bad outcome. Time will tell.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Both Sammy and VV are head cases. Each performs his best when the pressure is taken off them by a series of poor performances. And neither can perform effectively when they are called upon to assume the burden of being "the guy." And this translates into how they play in games - they seem to play better after giving up a couple of softies, because they've basically gone ahead and gotten the failure out of way. And Sammy's swimming and over-playing and acting like the net is bigger than it is have plenty of mental components to it. Wonder if the Caps have done anything to address their mental issues.

Reactions: PlushMinus

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
So this idea that Sammy plays tonight because he always plays well against the Flyers and therefore is expected to do so again is a prime example of a set-up for failure for the guy, because he has not been able to handle expectations of success. Would be nice to see him break that pattern tonight

Reactions: Corby78

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
What gets interesting is if Eller follows up Sunday’s game with a dud tonight. He was noticeably good and deserved his goal on Sunday, and you hope that like others this is the start of him finding his form. If Sunday’s game was just a dead cat bounce it’ll be interesting to see how Lavi handles it.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
What gets interesting is if Eller follows up Sunday’s game with a dud tonight. He was noticeably good and deserved his goal on Sunday, and you hope that like others this is the start of him finding his form. If Sunday’s game was just a dead cat bounce it’ll be interesting to see how Lavi handles it.

I'm going to like any post which uses the phrase "dead cat bounce".

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Eller had a legitimately good game against Boston so I get not taking him out of the lineup. And I’d rather not put McMichael back on wing unless necessary. However Eller does need to be on a short leash because his body of work this season has been poor.

I wouldn’t risk playing Orlov tonight if there is a greater than 0 chance of aggravating an injury. He’s one of their most important players. Let him be healthy for the playoffs.
Eller has played like ass for awhile now while CMM has played well fairly consistently. So...still not seeing it.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Lavi values veterans over youth. Experience rather than speed. When we play an elite team in the postseason, with speed, this will be to his own detriment.

Going into a series against a FLA or CAR, this is a recipe for disaster.
He tried McHags at 3C and moved Eller to 4LW and that was much better than 3LW... except for McMic earning the McHags nomer not being able to finish

Time will tell how they get used in the Post-season, McMic brings some speed and O-awareness, but not really a whole lot more; he ain't strong physically or in the corners, isn't being used on PK/PP, doesn't throw a big hit, and can't finish for the life of him

If McMic gets more games at 3C coming up, he's going to need to produce
actual stats (and I hope he does b/c then it would make it a tough decision for Lavi)
x/fancy stats don't win games

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Eller has played like ass for awhile now while CMM has played well fairly consistently. So...still not seeing it.
CMM has been consistent since being moved to center, but he was not that great at wing. Which is a shame since I'd prefer him over Mojo.

And even with his recent consistency he still produces very little and doesn't provide much elsewhere.

It feels like McMichael hasn't really taken his spot on the team, rather we have a few struggling forwards who are losing their spots.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
from another perspective Lavi has been trying to find a combo that potentially has all 4 lines creating offense
Mo-Eller-Willy is just the next iteration to see if something works

love how fans dismiss Lavi's last 3 games of line combos that generated W's
You’re right....they just don’t want to hear it when a young player is in the mix.

Reactions: Calicaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
CMM has been consistent since being moved to center, but he was not that great at wing. Which is a shame since I'd prefer him over Mojo.

And even with his recent consistency he still produces very little and doesn't provide much elsewhere.

It feels like McMichael hasn't really taken his spot on the team, rather we have a few struggling forwards who are losing their spots.
Great point, if the fillin in spot is at wing, CMM is seemingly nowhere near as dangerous……

Reactions: um

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
While McMichael’s finishing leaves much to be desired, his consistent presence in the o-zone is quite important. It eases defensive pressure and leaves the team in a better position for the next unit that comes out if, for example, he earns an offensive zone faceoff by firing a shot into the goalie’s logo.

There’s no harm letting Eller try to regain some of his 2018 form this game and next. But if he puts up a poor or even mediocre game and McMichael still isn’t back in the lineup, that’s when I’ll be a little peeved. If Backstrom or Eller are ineffective in the postseason and McMichael still isn’t inserted into the lineup, I’ll be similarly peeved.

Also please selectively rest John Carlson down the stretch. He needs to be healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad