Post-Game Talk: GAME #73 - Canucks def. Blackhawks - 3-2 (OT) (Edler, Granlund, Horvat)

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'd just like to add that unless you're expecting every non-playoff team to win 0 games in the last month and a half, this whole "darn canucks and their late season wins always ruining draft position!" is mostly just weird confirmation bias aside from maybe the end of last season, and even then we were only winning around half our games in March/April.

In March of 2016 we went 4-12 including a 9 game losing streak that bumped us from the 8-10 range to the bottom 5. In March and April 2017 we won 4 of the final 20 games. Lost 4 of our last 6 in 2014.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
the last two games brisebois and sautner are looking good in the sense you don't always notice they are playing. obviously edler is carrying the matchup load for them, but sautner is now handling decent minutes.

if they can keep it up to the end of the season i think perhaps pouliot may have played his last game as a canuck.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Biega - don't see where he isn't an every day NHL player. Has to be in consideration for next year. Great bang for the buck. Got to be happy he isn't a UFA next season b/c he might cost you some.

Virtanen - complete passenger. Weak along the boards and again guessing on what to do. Repeat he has to be a real consideration for a trade the next time he goes through a good patch. Him and Goldobin have to be the in the biggest disappointment category.

Gaudette - struggling. Effort is there but he his skill level and skating remain very rough. Gets thrashing and chasing way too much.

Demko - not bad but you can see the nervousness. Trying real hard to prevent rebounds but can see his timing on shots is not always right. Looks a little like he did when he came back from a long absence in Utica. Needs the playing time to get mentally stable. One thing you like is the amount of goal he can cover up.

Sautner - continues to look decent. Last stretch has suggests there is more depth in the system than maybe supposed

Brisebois - have been saying all year in Comet commentaries that I think Brisebois has the most potential of the d-men in Utica and I think he is looking like there may be something here. Needs to gain some more muscle and pick up his skating some (although it's not far off). Sautner at 24 is probably better now but at 21 Brisebois has lot more potential to improve. But he can't plateau at the present level and must gain the strength and wheels to play with more assertiveness. Have to think Poo is not a consideration moving ahead.

Granlund - played well. Had some jump in his skating and worked decently both ways.

Broadly agree but some additions on the following players.

Biega - is an NHL Dman, but gets in a bit of trouble when he gets overmatched. Not someone I would want out there for over 20mins per night regularly, but I agree, he would have had a few offers as a UFA if GMs were paying attention.

Virtanen - has these games, but he also has other games where he really does tilt the direction of play even when he is not scoring. That combo of speed and size is something that no one else in this lineup can bring with the exception of Horvat, And frankly it's something this team could do with more of.

Gaudette - I agree he's struggling a bit, but then I haven't seen much from him in the NHL or AHL this year to suggest he can be more than an average 3rd line centre. He's improved defensively and is slowly gaining Green's trust, but he's not showing high end vision or skill and the play is too often dying on his stick. It is his first year as a pro though, so I expect to see some improvement over the next couple of years, and frankly, him turning into an average third line centre is still a win. But I believe in having strong centre depth to be a contender so I am hoping to see more.

Demko - I thought he looked pretty good, with some smooth post to post work to make saves. But I suppose my expectations for him are pretty low considering how little he's played this year.

Sautner, Breisbois - I agree, and am hoping Sautner makes it as the 4th LHD to open the season next year with Breisbois and Juolevi the first call ups while still on the ELCs. Sautner has shown well and deserves at least a shot, while Breibois is certainly showing some potential. Frustratingly management and coaches don't play young players enough, even if they are not quite ready the experience helps them immensely. That is how you successfully bleed young talent so that eventually they can make the squad with the coaches confidence.

Granlund - Yeah, games like this are great, but if only he was either a bit faster or more physically engaged, he would be more consistently useful. He's the definition of a tweener for me.

Reactions: EastEnderVan

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Pettersson is snake bitten. Plays well but only picks up single assits. I want multipoint games dammit

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Probably an unpopular opinion but I don't think Demko was that great tonight. I kept hearing phenomenal and amazing on the radio, now I'm watching and I think he was basically competent.

His timing is still way off, but this time he didn't make any egregious mistakes. Clarke won't be happy with the lack of stick discipline on the one goal.

Anyhow, I still think he will be an excellent goalie for us and this is an important step in his development - really his first actual start where he was consistent and not just playing on adrenaline.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The tank is dead. Goalies are playing well, Boeser playing for a contract, EP40 for the calder, Horvat even gassed wont quit, young D trying to prove themselves for jobs. Lets just enjoy our 25-28th place finish with the right players improving and pray to the hockey gods draft day
25-28? 19-24.

Reactions: VintageBure

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Biega - don't see where he isn't an every day NHL player. Has to be in consideration for next year. Great bang for the buck. Got to be happy he isn't a UFA next season b/c he might cost you some.

In an ideal world Tanev/UFA/Stecher as the RHD and I don't know how we fit Biega and Schenn onto the NHL roster, I think one has to get waived next year unless we are carrying two RHD at 7-8.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Even when it's evident that the Canucks aren't going to make the playoffs, I still find it weird when people go "ugh, we're ruining our lottery chances". Like even Vancouver sports media guys (well, the Botchford types at least). Guys, even the single worst team in the league has a 57% chance of not picking top 3. That's what you get for 31st place. Really, just let the math on that sink in. You're disappointing yourselves at wins that change our needle by single percentiles. How can you, as a fan, bring that displeasure upon yourself? Especially when the math is just so stacked against you? I could never, logically or emotionally, justify that. It's really just so completely irrelevant where you finish if you're not the worst of the worst. Literally single percentiles...just enjoy the hockey now, and hope we get lucky later. It really does make for a more enjoyable experience. I'm happy we won tonight.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Even when it's evident that the Canucks aren't going to make the playoffs, I still find it weird when people go "ugh, we're ruining our lottery chances". Like even Vancouver sports media guys (well, the Botchford types at least). Guys, even the single worst team in the league has a 57% chance of not picking top 3. That's what you get for 31st place. Really, just let the math on that sink in. You're disappointing yourselves at wins that change our needle by single percentiles. How can you, as a fan, bring that displeasure upon yourself? Especially when the math is just so stacked against you? I could never, logically or emotionally, justify that. It's really just so completely irrelevant where you finish if you're not the worst of the worst. Literally single percentiles...just enjoy the hockey now, and hope we get lucky later. It really does make for a more enjoyable experience. I'm happy we won tonight.

It's not just the lottery. Finishing lower guarantees you pick higher in every round. Picking early in the second gives you a great shot at grabbing a slider.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
it's interesting for someone who brags about how much hockey he watches to not know that draisaitl has spent about 61% of his icetime (around 56% at 5v5) playing next to mcdavid and not actually in the 2c role.

upload_2019-3-19_1-23-59.png

upload_2019-3-19_1-24-6.png

:teach:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver

This. A hundred times I've commented with something like this, and that many times I've been shouted down. The odds of being dead last versus being 15th aren't significantly different. Plus most last over all teams are incredibly lucky to not pick 4th. We aren't out tanking ottawa or a few other choice bad teams, so a top five pick means we win the lottery. That's what it is is a lottery, having 10000000 tickets doesn't better your odds signifcantly enough to guarantee anything in 649, and if we can't be worst or second worst overall to take a top 5 or 6 pick, were still relying on someone going way off board or some one dropping like a stone to get a significant asset if we don't win the lottery. Mucking up a humiliating series of losses isn't worth 1 percent better odds to me.

Good win, please keep it up Canucks, even if we are all but statistically eliminated from the playoffs.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
the last two games brisebois and sautner are looking good in the sense you don't always notice they are playing. obviously edler is carrying the matchup load for them, but sautner is now handling decent minutes.

if they can keep it up to the end of the season i think perhaps pouliot may have played his last game as a canuck.

We can just only hope. There a lot of guys I hope we’re seeing the last of... most of them are pipe dreams, but at the very least Pouliot and Granlund should be gonzo.

Reactions: Luckylarry

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
We can just only hope. There a lot of guys I hope we’re seeing the last of... most of them are pipe dreams, but at the very least Pouliot and Granlund should be gonzo.

granlund i think is useful enough as a utility guy to get offered a buriable one way deal with a warning he may be in the ahl. i don't think we will qualify him though, so he will be a ufa.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This. A hundred times I've commented with something like this, and that many times I've been shouted down. The odds of being dead last versus being 15th aren't significantly different. Plus most last over all teams are incredibly lucky to not pick 4th. We aren't out tanking ottawa or a few other choice bad teams, so a top five pick means we win the lottery. That's what it is is a lottery, having 10000000 tickets doesn't better your odds signifcantly enough to guarantee anything in 649, and if we can't be worst or second worst overall to take a top 5 or 6 pick, were still relying on someone going way off board or some one dropping like a stone to get a significant asset if we don't win the lottery. Mucking up a humiliating series of losses isn't worth 1 percent better odds to me.

Good win, please keep it up Canucks, even if we are all but statistically eliminated from the playoffs.
Players will keep playing. Not in them to think about tanking.

That’s all the fans.

Who have the Canucks besten on this 7/8 point stretch? Rangers whom they have basically the same point total as. Blew a 2 goal lead and lost in OT to a NJ team that is only a few points back. Both were coin flip games.

Dallas is fighting to secure a playoff spot and try to land the 3rd spot in the central. Chicago which got Vancouver on the back end of a road trip with travel where they didn’t get into their hotel until 2am. Hawks are fighting for their playoff lives can only manage to tie it late on a Canuck mistake. Those teams should be taking advantage of their opportunity but let a point slide past them.

Reactions: Cogburn

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
granlund i think is useful enough as a utility guy to get offered a buriable one way deal with a warning he may be in the ahl. i don't think we will qualify him though, so he will be a ufa.
You actually think they'll just let him walk? After basically playing him top 6 minutes for 3 years, they're going to walk away? I don't see it.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Players will keep playing. Not in them to think about tanking.

That’s all the fans.

Who have the Canucks besten on this 7/8 point stretch? Rangers whom they have basically the same point total as. Blew a 2 goal lead and lost in OT to a NJ team that is only a few points back. Both were coin flip games.

Dallas is fighting to secure a playoff spot and try to land the 3rd spot in the central. Chicago which got Vancouver on the back end of a road trip with travel where they didn’t get into their hotel until 2am. Hawks are fighting for their playoff lives can only manage to tie it late on a Canuck mistake. Those teams should be taking advantage of their opportunity but let a point slide past them.

Players are going to play.

And yes, these are not Knights, Jets, Predators and Lightning teams, so we should be competing with them, and guess what, we have a little point streak happening. Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Edler and both goalies have done a great job for us. Now if Virtanen can get a little kick in the but...

Why not root for the team down the stretch? We aren't making the playoffs anyways, and a few wins will help our internal development.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

As you said, Granlund is a good utility player. I think it's pretty much certain he gets qualified and is back, barring a trade of some sort.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Players are going to play.

And yes, these are not Knights, Jets, Predators and Lightning teams, so we should be competing with them, and guess what, we have a little point streak happening. Pettersson, Horvat, Boeser, Edler and both goalies have done a great job for us. Now if Virtanen can get a little kick in the but...

Why not root for the team down the stretch? We aren't making the playoffs anyways, and a few wins will help our internal development.
The last two drafts we got really lucky that the teams picking ahead of us were stupid, and we drafted five and seven. We are looking at drafting outsidethe top 10. The likelihood we get another Petey or Quinn Hughes level of player drafting that low is extremely poor.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
The last two drafts we got really lucky that the teams picking ahead of us were stupid, and we drafted five and seven. We are looking at drafting outsidethe top 10. The likelihood we get another Petey or Quinn Hughes level of player drafting that low is extremely poor.

The odds are pretty poor anyway. I'd argue as poor as winning 1-3 in the lottery, since we can't get bottom or second bottom place to guarantee a top five pick, which as you say is not likely to yield a Hughes or Pettersson anyway.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Granlund as a "good" utility player who should be brought back is propagating a myth with no basis in fact. There is hardly anyone on this roster who should be a shoe-in to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad