GDT: Game #72: Blue Jackets vs Coyotes - 7:00pm (AZ) - Scripps - The Josh Doan Era Begins Edition

RedBeard

Aug 16, 2005
Phoenix
What a game, memorable to say the least. Hearing Nash talk about Keller and Crouse being with Shane during his last year as a player made me think about that roster. Man, I was excited about that young core. Makes me appreciate having GMBA here to shepherd along the new young core.

screenshot-2024-03-27-at-12-08-28-am-png.842160
Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.08.53 AM.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.08.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.08.28 AM.png
    787.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.08.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 12.08.28 AM.png
    787.1 KB · Views: 6

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Durzi looks great, does he always play with this much confidence?

I'm a big fan. Hopefully they sign him long term.

Nash has been calling Doan a "big body" all night and now he said Josh is 6'3 and over 200 lbs. I don't believe those stats for a second.

He definitely looks tall, maybe 6''3", but 200 seems a stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matias Maccete

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'm a big fan. Hopefully they sign him long term.

He definitely looks tall, maybe 6''3", but 200 seems a stretch.
In the family picture above he looks the same height as dad, who is listed as 6'1.

In this pic from last summer he looks similar height to Spicy Dyl, who is listed as 6'2.

So I guess I could believe 6'2, which is almost 6'3.

Attachments

• F0ZqsAGakAArrdE.jpg_large.jpg
    F0ZqsAGakAArrdE.jpg_large.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 2

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Just saw the recap.
Great Game overall. And Doan was really well positioned most of the time. I hope he plays full time next season.
Guenther also plays really well. Great shot and provides a lot of offense.

But what I like the most is how well Bjugstad plays right now. Since his child was born He has been on fire. I hope this continues into the next season.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Woke up today very happy. What a night. What a game. It will be hard for Doan to ay like that every night, he battled the entire times and was constantly in the dirty areas. But we just saw what he can bring and it's something we desperately need. He out Booned Boone Jenner!

Was it just me or did it feel like he was playing center at times?

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
that was the loudest the arena has been this season !
Well, it rivaled the comeback against the Avs earlier anyway, but yeah seemed like it to me also, at least it did last night.

Veggie giving up playing angles and Dermott facing the wrong way kind of left a sour taste to end the period there but that was the most fun period I’ve felt in this building in awhile. Crowd still buzzing in intermission.
Letting him walk in with zero pressure soured me.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Woke up today very happy. What a night. What a game. It will be hard for Doan to ay like that every night, he battled the entire times and was constantly in the dirty areas. But we just saw what he can bring and it's something we desperately need. He out Booned Boone Jenner!

Was it just me or did it feel like he was playing center at times?
I had that thought. About him looking like a center and recalling he played center at ASU. Had the thought that he seemed like a nice stand-in option for Hayton on that Keller & Schmaltz line. But that’s a lot of stacked responsibility for the youngster.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Just saw the recap.
Great Game overall. And Doan was really well positioned most of the time. I hope he plays full time next season.
Guenther also plays really well. Great shot and provides a lot of offense.

But what I like the most is how well Bjugstad plays right now. Since his child was born He has been on fire. I hope this continues into the next season.
Last year at training camp Doan and Geekie were one of the better players. I think most took that with a grain of salt since it was pre-season. I think Doan will be a shoe in to start with the Coyote's next year if he doesn't pull a Guenther at training camp, which leads me to wonder how far is Geekie from the NHL and could he maybe surprise us all next year?

But you gotta pay for fubo, yeah?
Yeah, $97/month.

Reactions: Edenjung

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
The thing about last night is that it shows why those of us die-hards stick with this team even though we are annually buried in a giant avalanche of the worst ghost pepper diarrhea by the rest of the NHL community.

Because if you give us even one truly good moment, like last night, with a kid who is one of us, like Josh Doan, you see what could happen if we could finally get the arena situation solved to go along with our (finally!) solid hockey ops department, our (finally!) promising prospect pipeline, our (finally!) competent scouting apparatus, and (finally!) non-grifting actual-money-having owner...

...well, if we ever get all that settled, the rest of the league had better watch the f*** out, because we're going to be ROLLING.

BigJCaRoach

I howl
Sponsor
Oct 5, 2005
The Desert
The thing about last night is that it shows why those of us die-hards stick with this team even though we are annually buried in a giant avalanche of the worst ghost pepper diarrhea by the rest of the NHL community.

Because if you give us even one truly good moment, like last night, with a kid who is one of us, like Josh Doan, you see what could happen if we could finally get the arena situation solved to go along with our (finally!) solid hockey ops department, our (finally!) promising prospect pipeline, our (finally!) competent scouting apparatus, and (finally!) non-grifting actual-money-having owner...

...well, if we ever get all that settled, the rest of the league had better watch the f*** out, because we're going to be ROLLING.
A-effen-men

Reactions: Prarievarg and rt

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Received and filled my NHL survey yesterday. My answer to three words that describe being a Coyote fan were - Pain, Suffering and Disrespect and I wondered how many years previously I had possibly answered with the same exact words. Last night erased all that, if only for the time being, it was such an important night for the franchise and it's fans.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It occurs to me too that one of the reasons last night was such a huge deal was that Josh Doan is OURS.

For the whole existence of this franchise's tenure in Arizona, we have almost never had anything that's been OURS. The franchise itself was "stolen" from Winnipeg. The players, coaches, staff, etc. were mostly Canadian transplants. Even Shane Doan, who is in the conversation for the most memorable Arizona pro athlete of all time, is an import from Alberta. Hell, we're even playing in a borrowed arena right now. Everything we have had for almost the entirety of the team's existence here (a Dave Spina cup of coffee notwithstanding) has been borrowed - including time.

But not Josh Doan. Josh Doan is OURS. He's an Arizona kid. He was a Coyotes fan before he became a Coyote. He trained in the Arizona system, rose up through the Arizona ranks. And when he got to the big club, he immediately delivered.

I don't think you can discount the effect that having something that belongs only to us could have on this state's fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad