GDT: Game 71 | Senators @ Kings | Road Swing Pt 3: Royal Flush | Wed March 11th 10:30PM | RDS, TSN5

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
What y'all think of coronavirus?

giphy.gif

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I just had a horrible thought. If the rest of the NHL season is cancelled I suspect the draft lottery will be conducted the same way it was done after the strike. All 30 teams would have a shot at the number one pick. All teams could potentially pick anywhere from #1 to #30. I would assume that we'd still have three picks but who knows?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I just had a horrible thought. If the rest of the NHL season is cancelled I suspect the draft lottery will be conducted the same way it was done after the strike. All 30 teams would have a shot at the number one pick. All teams could potentially pick anywhere from #1 to #30. I would assume that we'd still have three picks but who knows?

Stahp.

Melgene Eunyk

Mar 29, 2015
I can't see them cancelling the season - especially with only 12 games remaining. Suspending the season seems more plausible. I could potentially see them playing out the remainder of the regular season (with empty arenas, if need be), with playoffs postponed until the threat is quelled.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

Actually the only reason it was done that way back in 2005 was due to the entire 2004-2005 season being cancelled. There was no way to determine the draft order when no games had been played.

We are 10 games off the end of the season at this point and enough games have been played to establish which teams should be picking in the top 10, top 20 and the rest. It would be unfair to give every team equal odds simply because the season was 70 games instead of 82.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Afte
Actually the only reason it was done that way back in 2005 was due to the entire 2004-2005 season being cancelled. There was no way to determine the draft order when no games had been played.

We are 10 games off the end of the season at this point and enough games have been played to establish which teams should be picking in the top 10, top 20 and the rest. It would be unfair to give every team equal odds simply because the season was 70 games instead of 82.
After the strike they could have based the draft on the standings for the last year games were played which would have been better for the weaker teams. They chose not to. The stronger teams will argue that, having been denied the opportunity to compete for the Stanley Cup, they should not be penalized at draft time for having a good partial season.

As Melgene Eunyk has suggested they may just suspend the season and pick it up later. In this scenario our tank won't have been in vain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad