GDT: Game 71: Seattle Kraken(39-24-7) @ Nashville Predators(35-26-8) - 5:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 p.m. ET

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
After going on the road in Dallas and finding a way to win 4-3 in OT the Kraken are at their next stop in the central division and will be playing game one, of two, against the Nashville Predators.

This mini series will be very important to the Kraken's playoff hopes as the Predators are one of two teams(together with Calgary) that are chasing them for a playoff spot.

Unlike the Kraken the Preds have sold a couple off a couple of players at the deadline but are still playing well enough to be in the conversation for the playoffs.

Where?
Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN
bridgestone-arena-lisa-wooten.jpg

When?
05:00 p.m. PT / 8:00 pm. ET / 1:00 a.m. CET

How to watch?
ROOT-NW, BSSO
------------------------------------------------------------------

3 Keys to the game

1) Defense, Defense, Defense

Just like with Dallas, the Kraken need to work on their defensive system and try to keep things manageable for their goalie.
Given that D'Accord seems to be in net again, it would be good to help him out and make it a easy as possible for him in this one.

2) Get to the net
To no surprise the Kraken haven't been able to keep up their shooting percentages of the first half of the season and scoring has gotten a bit tougher on them with teams playing for a playoff berth.
In order to fix this the team needs to find ways to get to the net, take away the eyes of the opponents goalie(especially a guy like Oettinger) and create goals that way as well.

3) Power play/special teams overall
The Kraken have done a better job on the penalty kill but there's still a lot to be improved upon.
On Tuesday they held Dallas to 1 for 4 on the power play, which is a solid effort.

Offensively though, the power play has become a struggle for the team and especially in key moments they just can't seem to get that important goal or at least the needed boost for their performance.
Completely changing things during a season won't happen, but maybe they could try and at least tweak a couple of things here.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i

Top Scorers:
Vince Dunn: 13(G) - 44(A) ---> 57 points
Jared McCann: 34(G) - 22(A) ---> 56 points
Jordan Eberle: 16(G) - 38(A) ---> 54 points

Work Load:
Adam Larsson: 23:52 TOI/Game
Vince Dunn: 23:45 TOI/Game
Jamie Oleksiak: 19:16 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Martin Jones: 24-12-3 / .887(SV%) / 3.07 GAA
Philipp Grubauer: 13-12-4 / .892(SV%) / 3.02 GAA
Joey D'Accord: 2-0-0 / .884(SV%) / 3.94 GAA
giphy.gif

i

Top Scorers:
Roman Josi: 18(G) - 41(A) ---> 58 points
Matt Duchene: 21(G) - 33(A) ---> 54 points
Filip Forsberg: 19(G) - 23(A) ---> 42 points

Work Load:
Roman Josi: 25:10 TOI/Game
Tyson Barrie: 21:40 TOI/Game
Ryan McDonagh: 21:09 TOI/Game

Netminders:
Juuse Saros: 27-19-7 / .917(SV%) / 2.76 GAA
Kevin Lankinen: 8-6-1 / .917(SV%) / 2.70 GAA
Yaroslav Askarov: 0-1-0 / .886(SV%) / 4.15 GAA
------------------------------------------------

This should be a very interesting one.

We're in the final stretch of the season with twelve games remaining and those next two against the Preds are going to be really important for the Kraken.
If they're able to at least split both games(this one and on Saturday) they'd be in a really good spot to make the playoffs.

The Preds, on the other hand, are in need of winning those games but are also not under any pressure to make the playoffs, given that they're GM just sold off pieces at the TDL and basically told everyone that this is not their year.

It will be really interesting to see how this one goes with the veterans of the Preds certainly eager to prove their GM wrong.

Let's hope the good guys are ready for this one and as always....
giphy.gif

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Huge effin game. A split over the next two isn't the end of the world but 2 wins puts us in a great position and some breathing space. 2 losses would be a disaster.

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
net front presence is the biggest key in this one imo. They have very little high end talent left on that roster but they play hard and go for the dirty greasy goals in the tough areas. Rebound control and clearing the front are vital. Otherwise use our speed and we should be fine.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
Looks like Josi will not play, nor Forsberg, so that is a big help. I like resting Grub. IF we make the playoffs, we will need him fresh.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Looks like Josi will not play, nor Forsberg, so that is a big help. I like resting Grub. IF we make the playoffs, we will need him fresh.
The only "name" guy left standing in Duchene. It's Duchene, Saros, a couple other guys, and an army of AHL callups.

topcatone

Jun 6, 2016
The only "name" guy left standing in Duchene. It's Duchene, Saros, a couple other guys, and an army of AHL callups.
Yea...the danger is, all the young ones have something to prove and would love to be on the team next year!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'd take a split for the Kraken if it was offered right now. That would continue the status quo and knock two more games off the schedule. I'd be quite happy with that.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
How are Nashville fans feeling? Are they still hoping for play offs or are they in zero expectation but hope the team f*** around and find themselves in it type mentality?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Not sure if it's just my stream or the arena is dead quiet but I feel I can hear the players talk more than normal. Love the trash talking

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Held them to three shots. Didn't feel like that kind of period sometimes.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Serious question because I don't know the answer: when we are wheelin', how many teams in the league are actually faster than us?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Serious question because I don't know the answer: when we are wheelin', how many teams in the league are actually faster than us?
Dallas maybe?

Can you imagine how good we could be if more than the 4th line was clicking right now (they are carrying us). If another line clicks then it could be exciting, probably won't be till Burakovsky comes back.

Reactions: Kevinsane

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
The young Predators (this lineup) is faster than what they put out there most of the season. We got to move the puck a little quicker.

We just need to make smart plays and dump the puck instead of holding it for too long. Too many turnovers.
Part of that is Saros. Dumping the puck is an automatic turnover so far.

Reactions: brewski420

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
The young Predators (this lineup) is faster than what they put out there most of the season. We got to move the puck a little quicker.

Part of that is Saros. Dumping the puck is an automatic turnover so far.
Agree. Need to try to dump to the corners trying to keep it away from Saros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad