GDT: Game 71: Columbus @ Philadelphia | 7 PM EST

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hope all these games dont lead to some unneccesary injury for Elvis. Not like hes behind some defense that makes his job easy

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Nice game by Elvis facing a ton of shots. 4th line kudos as well. Congrats to Meyer getting his first goal and assist.
Three Stars:
Elvis
Meyer
Danforth

Reactions: majormajor

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Typical Columbus win - the goalie standing on his head and bottom-6 taking care of the rest.

Seriously though, Elvis finally putting together a string of good games, very good again tonight.

Reactions: Speedy Sanderson

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Laine is either tired or disinterested.
I saw only the end of the first person + others. He was tragical in the first but he improved in others. Of course one didn't play like he scored so often. Btw this line played little time in 5:5. More precisely, at least.
I very liked Danforth -- Kuraly -- Bjorkstrand line. Similar like Meyer.
My stars:
Elvis
Danforth
Bjorkstrand

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
If Berube starts the next four games in a row and wins all four or loses all four, it adds very little predictability to what he'll do next year on top of his long ten years as a pro. You've got hundreds of games as a pro, what he does the rest of the year doesn't tell us anything more.

If they thought enough of Berube to sign him as a 3rd goalie this year, they really don't need to look at him to see if he fills the role, he already is filling it. Not sure what more we need to see of Berube. My guess is he will play Thursday, but I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis goes then also.

Everybody already knows what Berube brings. He’s no spring chicken.

If you’re outraged over starting Elvis so much because of his injuries or his recent back injury, I get it. If it’s over JF Berube and his future, I don’t get it.

i get wanting to play Elvis, but I don’t think its simply to expose him to a full NHL schedule; rather I think it’s because they want to see Elvis play to further assess if he’s truly the #1 goalie as Jarmo continues to retool this roster.

The head coach apparently wants to start Elvis 18 straight games to end the regular season. What does that accomplish?

-Elvis's 5 year, $27m extension ($5.4m AAV) kicks in *next year.* They've already committed to him as the #1 goalie, financially (you could argue with a rising cap, he could still be paid appropriately in a 1A/1B situation where he's the 1A).
-Elvis has played in 110 NHL regular season games, starting 101 of them. How much more do they need to see before assessing whether or not the contract they already gave him was a good idea?
-The team isn't making the playoffs. I'm not saying Elvis is injury prone (yet), but he does seem to get injured after periods of prolonged usage. I'd say 18 straight to end a season where there are no playoffs would qualify as overusage.
-Berube has played four games in front of this D. Maybe he's worth bringing back next year, especially if the team moves on from Korpi. Maybe he's not. But I'd argue four games isn't a large enough sample size to make an informed decision on it.
-If not Berube, let Greaves come up and get his cup of coffee.

I would love to hear the logic of starting Elvis 18 straight times to end this season, with appearances in 28 of the last 30 (if he does actually start the final 11 games).

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

The head coach apparently wants to start Elvis 18 straight games to end the regular season. What does that accomplish?

-Elvis's 5 year, $27m extension ($5.4m AAV) kicks in *next year.* They've already committed to him as the #1 goalie, financially (you could argue with a rising cap, he could still be paid appropriately in a 1A/1B situation where he's the 1A).
-Elvis has played in 110 NHL regular season games, starting 101 of them. How much more do they need to see before assessing whether or not the contract they already gave him was a good idea?
-The team isn't making the playoffs. I'm not saying Elvis is injury prone (yet), but he does seem to get injured after periods of prolonged usage. I'd say 18 straight to end a season where there are no playoffs would qualify as overusage.
-Berube has played four games in front of this D. Maybe he's worth bringing back next year, especially if the team moves on from Korpi. Maybe he's not. But I'd argue four games isn't a large enough sample size to make an informed decision on it.

I would love to hear the logic of starting Elvis 18 straight times to end this season, with appearances in 28 of the last 30 (if he does actually start the final 11 games).

I don’t necessarily agree with that work load, and maybe Larsen will back off of that, but I really do not care about “looking at” Berube. He’s been around forever and is the same guy. At best he’s an organizational 3rd goalie. That’s what he’s almost always been.

We’ll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: NotTooWideArena

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Their plan isn't for assessing Elvis, it is to break him in as a starter, i.e. to get him used to it.

I don't know if Elvis is any more likely to be injured after regular starts or irregular starts, but I seem to remember him getting injured in rotation with Korpi. Perhaps someone can identify a pattern there, I don't really care enough to look into it. This is one of those things where Manny is in charge and I don't have the knowledge base about goalies to delve into it.

Reactions: Monstershockey

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

The logic is that he gets paid to play goalie, and if he is ok to play, they are going to play him. Fine with me. If he gets hurt, so be it. You can sit him out the rest of the year, wrap him in bubble wrap for the off season, and he could start his first game next year and blow out his knee. Watching his playing time and giving him off days guarantees nothing as far as injuries go.

As far as Berube goes, if they want him in the system next year, they will offer him a contract. If he wants to be here, he'll take it. If both go in a different direction, thats fine too. Berube is a known quantity.

Reactions: LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad