GDT: Game 71: Columbus @ Philadelphia | 7 PM EST

Dec 25, 2020
Hill Country
My humble but accurate prediction is that CBJ ice hockey team will beat the losers from the city I love to hate. So many times I have wished we would give Philadelphia to Delaware instead of having it as our problem.

Convincing victory , 5-2

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You do realize that this is 100% intentional?

Manny apparently feels Elvis still needs to be broken in as an NHL starter.

Yes, hence the incompetent comment.

Elvis has appeared in 17 of the team's last 19 games.

And the backup has appeared in just four games and is not under contract for next season. Just wasting away games to see if he might be worth a contract extension for him as a veteran 3rd goalie type.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

And the backup has appeared in just four games and is not under contract for next season. Just wasting away games to see if he might be worth a contract extension for him as a veteran 3rd goalie type.

If Berube starts the next four games in a row and wins all four or loses all four, it adds very little predictability to what he'll do next year on top of his long ten years as a pro. You've got hundreds of games as a pro, what he does the rest of the year doesn't tell us anything more.

Reactions: MAHJ71

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
If they thought enough of Berube to sign him as a 3rd goalie this year, they really don't need to look at him to see if he fills the role, he already is filling it. Not sure what more we need to see of Berube. My guess is he will play Thursday, but I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis goes then also.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Everybody already knows what Berube brings. He’s no spring chicken.

If you’re outraged over starting Elvis so much because of his injuries or his recent back injury, I get it. If it’s over JF Berube and his future, I don’t get it.

Reactions: Fred Glover

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
i get wanting to play Elvis, but I don’t think its simply to expose him to a full NHL schedule; rather I think it’s because they want to see Elvis play to further assess if he’s truly the #1 goalie as Jarmo continues to retool this roster.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I want to see Jet get a game. Can he and Tarasov handle everything in Cleveland or do we need a Berube? I think we are overworking Elvis. They are doing it intentionally like they have a well thought out plan. Or like they are idiots.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
i get wanting to play Elvis, but I don’t think its simply to expose him to a full NHL schedule; rather I think it’s because they want to see Elvis play to further assess if he’s truly the #1 goalie as Jarmo continues to retool this roster.
Held off on an Elvis jersey for this very reason.

Can't be buying anymore jerseys based off just my heart Moe...

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Held off on an Elvis jersey for this very reason.

Can't be buying anymore jerseys based off just my heart Moe...
Totally understand. I’ve got two folignos in my closet (one avsigned one I got at a charity auction and one that was a Christmas gift). Have a blank one Ready for Bjorkstrand but I’m afraid it’ll get him traded if I add it. :laugh::laugh:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If jarmo gave him that contract without firmly believing in him to be a starter then he deserves a severe talking to from ownership. That’s reckless.

Reactions: Monstershockey

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think their stated reason - to give Elvis more starter experience - is a very valid and plausible reason.

We're married to Elvis either way so I don't think this is about evaluation.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Elvis is 10th in the league in games played. If Elvis wants to be a top goalie in the league, this is the kind of workload he should have. He's going to be 28 real soon. This is the level he needs to be at. Vasilevsky, Hellebuyck, Sarros, Jarry, all have more games, and are about the same age. This guys job is to be a goalie. It is what he trains for. If this is too much for him, then they wasted their money. He should have came over earlier and played in the AHL. Who knows, maybe he could have pushed Bob out sooner for all we know, I'm sure he could have taken McElhinny's job, and he would be in his sixth season or so, instead of just his third. At his age, there shouldn't be any question marks. He should be established by now. All this talk of overworking him is ridiculous.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
I have no problem playing Elvis
if he is the number one he should play
Elvis and the team would look so much better with competent defensive play

Reactions: LJ7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad