GDT: Game 71: Columbus @ Philadelphia | 7 PM EST

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I've gone back and forth on the Elvis workload thing, with my current approach being to keep playing him.

What people need to remember with regard to Berube, is that he has a full history beyond the four strong games he played for us this season. The truth is, he's probably not a high-end priority at G3, which is not to say they wouldn't bring him back given familiarity and professional courtesy and provided he's also interested in returning to the organization.

The organization signed Jet to a deal right, he's not just a Cleveland-specific contract? So I'd say the org is clear where it stands at 1C and 4C with the in-between solidly in play this offseason (with the possibility that those two slots are filled with the guys who currently occupy them).

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

The head coach apparently wants to start Elvis 18 straight games to end the regular season. What does that accomplish?

-Elvis's 5 year, $27m extension ($5.4m AAV) kicks in *next year.* They've already committed to him as the #1 goalie, financially (you could argue with a rising cap, he could still be paid appropriately in a 1A/1B situation where he's the 1A).
-Elvis has played in 110 NHL regular season games, starting 101 of them. How much more do they need to see before assessing whether or not the contract they already gave him was a good idea?
-The team isn't making the playoffs. I'm not saying Elvis is injury prone (yet), but he does seem to get injured after periods of prolonged usage. I'd say 18 straight to end a season where there are no playoffs would qualify as overusage.
-Berube has played four games in front of this D. Maybe he's worth bringing back next year, especially if the team moves on from Korpi. Maybe he's not. But I'd argue four games isn't a large enough sample size to make an informed decision on it.
-If not Berube, let Greaves come up and get his cup of coffee.

I would love to hear the logic of starting Elvis 18 straight times to end this season, with appearances in 28 of the last 30 (if he does actually start the final 11 games).

The decision comes from the same team that addressed it's top line C position in the off season by moving several forwards to Center, by signing a 4th line C and drafting 2 centers.
Meaning they had no solution (Jenner did work out) and just throw random stuff against a wall and see what sticks.
Bottom line the team (at least this year) wasn't serious about winning. I suppose in their eyes they see it as development but who knows.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Their plan isn't for assessing Elvis, it is to break him in as a starter, i.e. to get him used to it.

I don't know if Elvis is any more likely to be injured after regular starts or irregular starts, but I seem to remember him getting injured in rotation with Korpi. Perhaps someone can identify a pattern there, I don't really care enough to look into it. This is one of those things where Manny is in charge and I don't have the knowledge base about goalies to delve into it.

Elvis turns 28 in a week and has over 100 games of NHL experience in the last three seasons (could have been more, but for covid). What the hell is this "breaking in" you speak of? Nonsensical.

The logic is that he gets paid to play goalie, and if he is ok to play, they are going to play him. Fine with me. If he gets hurt, so be it. You can sit him out the rest of the year, wrap him in bubble wrap for the off season, and he could start his first game next year and blow out his knee. Watching his playing time and giving him off days guarantees nothing as far as injuries go.
This seems rather tenuous if the plan is to compete for the playoffs next year (I don't think they'll be playoff-competitive next year, but surely the FO and coaches probably do). Some injuries last longer than a few months.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Elvis turns 28 in a week and has over 100 games of NHL experience in the last three seasons (could have been more, but for covid). What the hell is this "breaking in" you speak of? Nonsensical.
He just set his regular season career high in games played and hasn't even hit 50 games yet! That's what I'm talking about.

And playing him in back to backs is helpful experience. You do know why people value experiencing things, right?

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I'd be fine with him playing all the time if he didn't just have a back issue flare up. Backs are tricky things in skaters, ask Jenner and Texier, but maybe they aren't so bad for goalies? Playing him into the ground now just seems like risking a long term injury or issue and for no real gain this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad