GDT: Game 70: Sharks vs Blackhawks, biggest game of the year. 7:30pm NBCSCA

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'd be excited to have meaningful Sharks hockey soon, but I just don't want to see management take shortcuts to get there. Because if this rebuild were to top out at just a fringe playoff contender--and then another rebuild were to have to then take place--I'd be awfully disappointed. But that just means I don't want Grier trading away picks/prospects for short-term fixes. So far, he seems to be showing he has the right temperament to handle this very trying and painful part of the rebuild.

As for the Hertl trade, I agree that Grier was always interested in such a move. I just would be a bit surprised if he expected someone to come in for Hertl now, with so many years to go on that contract, and especially after Hertl had to have another knee surgery. So yeah, I think he jumped at it once the return got to where he wanted it.

The more time that has passed since the deal, the better I feel about it. Part of that is the return, and part of it is Hertl not having played. I'll mostly ignore Vegas, so that will help going forward, but I imagine the disgust is going to linger a lot longer for you since you can't do that.
Yeah, I'm not interested in shortcuts either and I'm especially not interested in trading picks/prospects unless it's for someone along the lines of the Cutter/Drysdale trade or trying to pry Jiricek from CBJ.

I'm also surprised about Hertl's value and teams wanting him. His value for us as a team where we won't be good until he's old and washed isn't obviously the same as his value for a team that is good and doesn't care about the consequences down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad