GDT: Game 70: Blues @ Coyotes - FSAZ - 6PM

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Don't know how that's 5 and a game. If anything it was Sanfords fault for turning into the boards right before the hit. 2 min penalty max. I hate officiating in the NHL.

Refs just followed the rulebook. Boarding + injury = automatic 5' plus game misconduct. Can't give 2'.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Don't know how that's 5 and a game. If anything it was Sanfords fault for turning into the boards right before the hit. 2 min penalty max. I hate officiating in the NHL.

Tony D is already hated by refs. He has a target on his back.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Tony D is already hated by refs. He has a target on his back.

You know what...that may be true. I thought that the last suspension was really weak.
This one is different though. I think the refs had two options:

a.) say that Sanford turned and it's all his mistake
b.) give DeAngelo the 5+misconduct

I don't think they had too many options. Of course option a was entirely possible but as there was blood it would have been tough to explain to Yeo.

Last edited:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What a miserable performance by the team. They couldn't control the puck and they didn't win more than a couple of board battles.

From the stands, it appeared that DeAngelo slid into the guy. He wasn't moving his legs and certainly wasn't skating. He did make contact, I think, with the guy's head. I didn't have the benefit of a replay to really see what happened. If I am right, he shouldn't be suspended.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if it it's worth it to keep DeAngelo. As talented as he is, he's more trouble than he's worth.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Huh, in the one replay I saw at the game the 5 on DeAngelo looked like a good call. I'll look at it again.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
nice.... gdt only reached 32 posts

And there was plenty to complain about, so we can't use the "you guys only post to complain" excuses...

The GDT's are dying for the same reason attendance is dying. We just don't care anymore.

RangerGuru

May 14, 2013
Thanks to all who had advice and such about the game. Matched the atmosphere at the game - everyone is so friendly! I'm used to the WSH PIT NJ PIT type atmosphere: rowdy, loud, in your face type stuff. Enjoyed the game immensely and even though you guys lost, had a good time. Good luck the rest of the year and beyond!

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Thanks to all who had advice and such about the game. Matched the atmosphere at the game - everyone is so friendly! I'm used to the WSH PIT NJ PIT type atmosphere: rowdy, loud, in your face type stuff. Enjoyed the game immensely and even though you guys lost, had a good time. Good luck the rest of the year and beyond!

I went to Devils v Red Wings at The Rock a few years back. There was a kid in a Rangers jersey with a horrible home cut mohawk. The section I was in was ribbing this kid the entire first two periods. After the second he actually moved over to the next section to escape the ridicule but was spotted by his hecklers and the verbal thrashing continued. I love east coast hockey crowds.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You know what...that may be true. I thought that the last suspension was really weak.
This one is different though. I think the refs had two options:

a.) say that Sanford turned and it's all his mistake
b.) give DeAngelo the 5+misconduct

I don't think they had too many options. Of course option a was entirely possible but as there was blood it would have been tough to explain to Yeo.

It was a tough call, and a weak one at that, but the refs had no choice because of the injury on the play.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What a miserable performance by the team. They couldn't control the puck and they didn't win more than a couple of board battles.

From the stands, it appeared that DeAngelo slid into the guy. He wasn't moving his legs and certainly wasn't skating. He did make contact, I think, with the guy's head. I didn't have the benefit of a replay to really see what happened. If I am right, he shouldn't be suspended.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if it it's worth it to keep DeAngelo. As talented as he is, he's more trouble than he's worth.

Let's give the Blues a bit of credit. They are fighting for a playoff spot and are a very talented team. Our puck possession has been lacking all year, but I hope with additional talent next year we will be better. As far as DeAngelo goes, he is definitely worth keeping as that injury was kind of a fluke and the refs had no other choice but to call it that way.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
And there was plenty to complain about, so we can't use the "you guys only post to complain" excuses...

The GDT's are dying for the same reason attendance is dying. We just don't care anymore.

Then why post? As far as not caring, speak for yourself. I'm sure plenty of people care.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)

I have thought the same. I can't see it ever getting better now. Maybe he is one of the guys we offer in a package for Duchsene if we go that route.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
In the arena watching him alive he must be a coach's nightmare, on almost every play he is looking for the chance to jump in offensively rather than picking his spot a few times a game. I like him but can't imagine what his D partner is thinking all night??If someone could teach him to plan ahead better he could be a really effective 2nd pairing guy.
I have thought the same. I can't see it ever getting better now. Maybe he is one of the guys we offer in a package for Duchsene if we go that route.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

In the arena watching him alive he must be a coach's nightmare, on almost every play he is looking for the chance to jump in offensively rather than picking his spot a few times a game. I like him but can't imagine what his D partner is thinking all night??If someone could teach him to plan ahead better he could be a really effective 2nd pairing guy.

You guys are giving up on DeAngelo way too early. His earlier suspensions were his immaturity showing, but last night it was a fluke play. What else could he have done on that play?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
You guys are giving up on DeAngelo way too early. His earlier suspensions were his immaturity showing, but last night it was a fluke play. What else could he have done on that play?

I've been watching a GIF of the hit. There's a shift and ducking of the head by Sanford directly before DeAngelo makes contact (already going in for the hit at this point). Looks a lot worse than it was. He has a salty history that may work out against him but I agree with your comment.

Tweet below from Cristiano Simonetta has the GIF.

https://twitter.com/CMS_74_/status/843270469822418946?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad