Post-Game Talk: Game 7 vs SEA - 3 stars

CWilson

Jul 11, 2023
I don’t get all the standing in front of the net in OT, and Seattle players just cycling the puck as we stood there and watched with amazement. I just don’t get that.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
I don’t get all the standing in front of the net in OT, and Seattle players just cycling the puck as we stood there and watched with amazement. I just don’t get that.
Coaching killed 3-on-3 OT. The first few months or so of the new OT format resulted in some very exciting games. Now, I think I'd get more excitement from watching paint dry.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Total BS. Hope that one sits with the fellas til Thursday and they take their anger out on the Jets.

Did like the response in the third after getting hosed in the second. Wish we could get Razor off being snake bit here and potted that post shot late.
Lalonde, had a chat with the refs and they admitted they screwed up on the stick throw. It was shortly afterward that Seattle made it 3-1.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Coaching killed 3-on-3 OT. The first few months or so of the new OT format resulted in some very exciting games. Now, I think I'd get more excitement from watching paint dry.

Agreed. Same as shootout. I think they really should implement a no backwards passing to some extent or a shot clock. Would make teams need to attemp a shot or you lose possession and need to exit the zone like an offside.

I remember a overtime game maybe last year we played Winnipeg and they had zero shots and had the puck for over 4 minutes or at least that's how it felt.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Agreed. Same as shootout. I think they really should implement a no backwards passing to some extent or a shot clock. Would make teams need to attemp a shot or you lose possession and need to exit the zone like an offside.

I remember a overtime game maybe last year we played Winnipeg and they had zero shots and had the puck for over 4 minutes or at least that's how it felt.
I remember that game you speak of, and it was utterly disgusting the way a game was better at putting me to sleep than mixing alcohol and pain killers.

• Haha
Reactions: GordieHowYaDoin

GordieHowYaDoin

Nov 9, 2022
Detroit/Nash
Total BS. Hope that one sits with the fellas til Thursday and they take their anger out on the Jets.

Did like the response in the third after getting hosed in the second. Wish we could get Razor off being snake bit here and potted that post shot late.
That dinger off the post is still ringing in my ears. Would've been an awesome moment for him and a nice confidence boost.

Air Budd Dwyer

Feb 11, 2012
Detroit
Larkin
Ghost
Seider

I likes Copp’s game overall but his stick was where offense went to die tonight. Threw a couple chest passes to the d-men tonight. There was one powerplay late in the game where he gave Seattle the puck twice without being pressured in about a 7 second span. Just brutal lol.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
They were tired while the Seattle had fresh players on the ice. They could not get a change.
Lalonde, had a chat with the refs and they admitted they screwed up on the stick throw. It was shortly afterward that Seattle made it 3-1.

And they they miss a very obvious tripping penalty on Seider.
We had this one on pocket, the refs gave it to Seattle.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
1. Larkin
2. Gostisbehere
3. Veleno

Scapegoat: F them refs, but I'll go with Raymond. Maybe if he worked on his cardio more in the offseason instead of trying to become a bodybuilder, he would have had enough energy to get up and cover his man on the game winning goal

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
1 - Larkin
2 - Veleno
3 - Ghost

Spacegoat - Husso. The 2nd and 3rd goals need to be stopped by NHL goalies. He is a pretty good positional goalie, but his glove is pretty bad and blocker is not great either.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'd just like to point out that the player some people have nominated for spacegoat is a forward with 5 points in 7 games.

He hit the post so hard last night in what would've been the GWG it's probably dented. He's also part of the reason why the top line has been clicking. He's not been putting the puck in the net but he's not a passenger.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'd just like to point out that the player some people have nominated for spacegoat is a forward with 5 points in 7 games.

He hit the post so hard last night in what would've been the GWG it's probably dented. He's also part of the reason why the top line has been clicking. He's not been putting the puck in the net but he's not a passenger.

We're talking about the game, not the season. Copp is tied for 4th on the team with 3 goals and PKs well, but that didn't stop some of us for voting for him. Husso is 3-1-1, but this is a game he could have won, so I can see the case for him as well.

Anyways, I think Lalonde needs to shuffle the forwards a bit, aside from the top line and PP1 there wasn't much going last night.

• Wow
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
We're talking about the game, not the season. Copp is tied for 4th on the team with 3 goals and PKs well, but that didn't stop some of us for voting for him. Husso is 3-1-1, but this is a game he could have won, so I can see the case for him as well.

Anyways, I think Lalonde needs to shuffle the forwards a bit, aside from the top line and PP1 there wasn't much going last night.
Maybe I didn't present the strongest argument in my post but I just don't see what Raymond did that was so terrible last night to warrant spacegoat. He's snakebit right now but he's playing well.

I don't think he deserves it either but I can honestly see more of an argument for Copp in that while he was great on the PK was handling the puck like it was a grenade on the PPs.

Watching the game if forced to choose I'd pick several guys before Raymond is all I'm saying.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
1. Gost
2. Larkin
3. Seider

Spacegoat: Walman
Not a bad choice tbh, although I have a feeling some people would never choose him for spacegoat - along with some other players.

He wasn't terrible or anything but he had a lot of mistakes last night. He wasn't particularly dangerous offensively, made some blunders on PP2, got out of position too many times (the one where he had to back track and make the awesome 1 handed intercept of the pass was him getting out of position and then racing back and making a great play), and lastly he threw the puck to a Kraken player in front of the net and almost allowed a goal there.

He wasn't bad by any means, he was extremely Jekyll and Hyde last night, but at the end of the day none of his Hyde moments ended in anything bad.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Maybe I didn't present the strongest argument in my post but I just don't see what Raymond did that was so terrible last night to warrant spacegoat. He's snakebit right now but he's playing well.

I don't think he deserves it either but I can honestly see more of an argument for Copp in that while he was great on the PK was handling the puck like it was a grenade on the PPs.

Watching the game if forced to choose I'd pick several guys before Raymond is all I'm saying.

There are worse players than Ray for sure. However, the expectations are lower for those players. Nobody expects anything out of the 4th line, but a first line winger has to put up some points, same with second line and PP2.

Pretty much everyone made mistakes in that game, and the Wings almost managed to outscore their mistakes. Aside from DBoss, DCat, Joey and Ghost, anyone could be a spacegoat. Those 4 outscored their mistakes.

Edit: To make a better case.... remember when Mantha was spacegoated a lot? Not because he was the worst player on the team, but because the fans expected a lot more.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Not a bad choice tbh, although I have a feeling some people would never choose him for spacegoat - along with some other players.

He wasn't terrible or anything but he had a lot of mistakes last night. He wasn't particularly dangerous offensively, made some blunders on PP2, got out of position too many times (the one where he had to back track and make the awesome 1 handed intercept of the pass was him getting out of position and then racing back and making a great play), and lastly he threw the puck to a Kraken player in front of the net and almost allowed a goal there.

He wasn't bad by any means, he was extremely Jekyll and Hyde last night, but at the end of the day none of his Hyde moments ended in anything bad.
I love 90% of Walman's game but I hate his shot choice. His wind up is so long that it often gets blocked or he ends up wide. At the same time its so hard the rebound almost always ends up out of the zone or going the other way in an odd man rush. For every goal he leads to or gets there have 3 good chances against us. I feel like he needs to stick to one timers or go watch Lidstrom and even Seider footage for shot choice. This has happened quite a few times already this season. It's starting to give me Schneider flashbacks.

Reactions: Ezekial

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I love 90% of Walman's game but I hate his shot choice. His wind up is so long that it often gets blocked or he ends up wide. At the same time its so hard the rebound almost always ends up out of the zone or going the other way in an odd man rush. For every goal he leads to or gets there have 3 good chances against us. I feel like he needs to stick to one timers or go watch Lidstrom and even Seider footage for shot choice. This has happened quite a few times already this season. It's starting to give me Schneider flashbacks.
Yep I've seen it from Petry Seider Walman Maatta this year a soft ass floater or bad shot selection hits a guy and sends the opposition the other way. It happens to every team sure, but it seems to have been a big weakness in our game in the first 7, those type of plays ending in fast breaks and goals in our net. Even the 2nd goal last night was kind of like that, Seider moves in and tries to do a quick shot to get it back toward the net, blocked, puck goes the other way and Schwartz just blows it by Husso.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Spacegoats are going to hurt feelings, that's just the way it goes. I am not going to rip on Walman or anything, I simply thought he had a rough game. 1 out of 82 and possibly more this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad