Game 7: Niemi vs Stalock

JonathanK81

Aug 3, 2005
The OC
Niemi, because as everyone has said before, he's been there before. Plus I'm not gonna lie, I still like Niemi. I don't think he's as bad as people think he's been this series.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
Stalock made some saves in that game (especially the one or two off the high blocker) that Niemi wouldn't have. That being said, I actually think Niemi wouldn't have given up the goal that Stalock did getting pushed into the net.

Ultimately I lean more towards Stalock, but.....idk.

Niemi really hasn't been bad in this series. But I think Stalock's skill set gives the Sharks the best chance to win.

lsx

Oct 19, 2010
Sonoma County, CA
Stalock made some saves in that game (especially the one or two off the high blocker) that Niemi wouldn't have. That being said, I actually think Niemi wouldn't have given up the goal that Stalock did getting pushed into the net.

Niemi really hasn't been bad in this series. But I think Stalock's skill set gives the Sharks the best chance to win.

This.

Niemi was not at fault for the loses, and I said as much in those GDT's...but Stalock came through huge in this game up until that second goal, it's arguable that niemi wouldn't have let that in - he has a tendency to fall back on the ice in that situation which would have covered the puck. Regardless, the third goal was nearly unstoppable as well which is when I turned it off. Stalock played a hell of a game, he really helped the breakout as well...I think that if the team in front of him can actually put pucks behind quick, that Stalock is the best option.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

Good points. :handclap:

noexult

Oct 24, 2011
Oslo
I would definately go with Niemi, Stalock did ok, Niemi got rest and is hopefully sharpened for game 7. Niemi will steal this one ;) Have to have some hope...I also hope the defensive work will be better than it's been as of late, through the entire game...

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Niemi. Like we played Lu in game 7 vs hawks in 2011. Go with your guy, I can see him stealing the game.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Niemi, and he should have started game 6 as well but I'm in the minority around here.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
All I see with Niemi is "that's one he wishes he could have back".

All i see with stalock is nice save, crap he had no chance on that one. Ignoring the fact that he was the reason he had no chance on that one. 2 of 2 goals i seen from last night were from stalock kicking the puck from a rebound right onto kings sticks.

dwood16

Sep 28, 2009
L.A.
spencerjacob.bandcamp.com
Who are our goalie experts these boards? I'd like to hear their opinions on who they think is better at reading the play. Seems to me, this is the only area that Nemo may be better than Stalock in. Then I'd like an opinion on to whether they think Niemi would've stopped any of the goals the Kings scored last night.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Being "mentally strong" when nonsense goals are allowed doesn't work in tight 1 goal games, chap. I can absolutely blame the Sharks for game 5. I would say that game 5 cost them this series if they lose it. If we are truly going to focus our anger as fans, we should do it with game 5.

Any playoff series isn't won on the PP. You win it in ES. Try looking up the ES numbers on all recent Stanley cup champions.

Mental fortitude is exactly what is needed in those situation. It's not a physical issue at all. You don't let bad calls affect you mentally as it cannot affect you physically.

Game 7 will be more about mental fortitude, or how much the Sharks have hunger to win.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who are our goalie experts these boards? I'd like to hear their opinions on who they think is better at reading the play. Seems to me, this is the only area that Nemo may be better than Stalock in. Then I'd like an opinion on to whether they think Niemi would've stopped any of the goals the Kings scored last night.

I would hope that Niemi is better at reading the plays than Stalock considering Stalock's lack of experience in games at this level. A lot of that reading/anticipation stuff comes with playing time.

As for the goals, I doubt Niemi stops any of them. People may argue the 2nd goal he would've stopped but he's had leaking puck issues this season which is out of character for him and he hasn't really fixed it.

Either way, the goalie is not the concern for this team if they want to win game 7. They cleaned up a lot of their sloppiness from games 4 and 5 in terms of puck play but they couldn't finish or create much in the offensive end especially on the power play. If they were more aggressive and scored on that 5 on 3, this series is probably over. They will get chances on the power play in game 7 and they need to take advantage of it. There are five guys that need to show up that haven't been the past few games and that's Jumbo, Burns, Couture, Pavs, and Boyle. Hertl has been there. Marleau sucked in game 5 but came back better and got chances and did his job in game 6. Hertl's showing flashes. Nieto is showing flashes but without those big boys pulling their weight, they don't have a chance regardless of the guys that have been showing up and regardless of the goaltending.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Niemi was the starting goalie for this series because of his experience and aside from a few bright spots in game 3, he hasn't played well. He had his chance and he blew it. His confidence is lost and the team played much better in front of Stalock last night than they did in game 5 in front of Niemi. I know that's not Niemi's fault but it is what it is. Also, last night Stalock's ability to aid in jump starting the breakout while simultaneously nullifying the Kings fore check proved to give the offense the jump they didn't have in game 5. If your main argument in favor of Niemi is experience, then i'm sorry but that's just stupid. Niemi is not the Niemi of last year and he has shown regression since the playoffs have started.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad