Game 7: Niemi vs Stalock

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
This article sums up my thoughts on the Sharks goaltending very well. As I said earlier, I think McLellan made a mistake starting Stalock in game 6.

http://www.thescore.com/news/491696

But why would Sutter go with Jones? Quick is a Conn Smythe winner and elite goalie. No matter how bad Quick was playing he still gives them the best chance to win. He has an extra gear.

Niemi is not an elite goalie. He is average. He is has been chased 4 times by the Kings in the playoffs in his career. His team won a Cup in spite of his play. A switch was warranted.

Dumb article.

Argument for Nemo is that he can get on a hot streak, he is out of this world. I don't know if Alex has that upside. In order for San Jose to make a long Cup run, they need a stellar goalie, so I go with Nemo. Even if Stalock plays well enough to win game 7, it is uncertain if he can lead the way past the Ducks, Central champ, etc.

I dont think Nemo has ever played out of this world in his career.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
That's why I said I was surprised you agreed with the article. Well that, and you know, your user name and all :laugh:

My main gripe with the article was not based in the battle between Niemi vs. Stalock. I just don't view that switch as being made under any sort of panic at all. There were a host of factors leading up to that game that I feel lead to the switch and more of them have to do with Stalock's play rather than Niemi's.

I know many fans probably agree with you, I'm just not one of them.

As I said I've been a big fan for a long time. I've been watching him play for years so I admit that I look at more then Stalock's 27 NHL starts when considering him as a goalie. I also look at more then Niemi's recent season and that's probably why my opinion on them might differ from others.

Edit: I should also add that if the last 2 games are any indication about tomorrow's, it will either be won or lost by the Sharks skaters, I don't think the goalie will be the difference in the game.

Last edited:

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Don't worry guys I am going to load up on Kings players for my fantasy draft tomorrow and the Sharks will be sure to win. I have had no luck these playoffs when it comes to picking my players. You are allowed 4 players max per team so I am going to be picking Quick, Williams, Kopitar, and Doughty. No way the Sharks lose now.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
My brother's a goalie and I've seen situations like this before.

yada yada pro athlete yada... it doesn't matter you've mentally messed with Niemi. Take the job away from him, when lets be real none of the losses were his fault and then throw him in the drivers seat of the bus for a must win game. That bus has one likely destination and that's of a cliff.

He's your guy, should've stuck with him like LA with Quick and reaped the rewards. Like I saw happen with my brother I'm sure is happening to Niemi now, the pressure he'll be under if he's the guy will be astronomical and the odds will be against him if he goes tomorrow.

It's happened to countless goalies in NHL history and another good comparison is MLB pitchers who have been screwed around. McLellan goofed up.

Niemi has been praised for his mental capabilities. If he has a problem taking a seat for a playoff game and then comes in for a must-win game and continues to let in soft goals like he has, that only confirms that they were right to bench him in the first place. There have been many instances where teams have been able to succeed swapping goalies from time to time in the playoffs. It's not some goalie death sentence. Most aren't worried about that in the first place. They want to win for the team, plain and simple. And often times, when things fall apart, it's because the team in front of the goalie simply wasn't good enough which is what's happening right now. The goalie change wasn't done to mess with Niemi's confidence and he should be smart enough to realize that. It was meant as a kick in the pants to the guys in front of him because a coach has limited options on how to spark the team when they're struggling.

19sharks19

Mar 16, 2006
T.O. to S.J. & back
Edit: I should also add that if the last 2 games are any indication about tomorrow's, it will either be won or lost by the Sharks skaters, I don't think the goalie will be the difference in the game.

This is a really solid point. 1 Goal in the last two PLAYOFF games = a major lack of effort and production and focus and shots and bodies in front of the opponents net etc etc.... and thus two losses.
EVERYTHING has to be the exact opposite of games 5 + 6.

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
WCF against San Jose.

He really didn't play out of this world.....he just played against the Sharks offense.

It's probably easier to compile the list of goaltenders who HAVEN'T had a phenomenal series against the Sharks postseason offense.

At some point, when EVERY goalie you face is historically awesome (and then goes back to being average or subpar in every other series) maybe it's not just about the goaltender.

Niemi had (has) several very obvious holes in his game, and one or two very solid strengths. Naturally, the Sharks in that 2010 WCF series fired a ton of shots right into his strongest strengths and made no real effort to adapt their game to try to take advantage of his weaknesses. Because they never do.

Every other team the Hawks faced that year adapted and was able to score on him. Now, every other team still lost because the Hawks offense simply had MORE firepower, and their defense did everything in their power (shot blocking, eliminating time and space in the slot) to limit the opposition's ability to take full advantage. But that's why the Sharks were the only team (seemingly EVER) who couldn't figure out how to score on Niemi, and why they were the only team that season to get swept rather than pushing it to at least 6 games.

aceman80

Sep 13, 2013
Nemo.
D plays better when they can rely on goalie,got sense in g6 that everyone was just waiting when LAK score.
McL created this monster,way to go Todd,again!!

HydroF

Mar 27, 2014
Vacaville
I still think Stalock gives the team the best chance at winning, but at this point I'm just pretty depressed with this team. I hope the Sharks can find a way to win this game. I have felt ill just thinking about hockey since the game 6 loss, a loss tonight would pretty much be the most depressing way possible to end this season....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad