GDT: Game #7 Kings @ Sharks - 7:30 PM PDT CSN-CA KFOX

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Sharks still top the pacific. We have injury excuses kind of. What about the rest of the teams?

It's a long season. Deboer should be looking for extra points however he can get em.

Maybe time to split up the joes?

Marleau-jumbo-goldobin
Nieto-pavs-ward
Wingels-hertl-goodrow
Brown-tierney-carpenter?

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Sharks still top the pacific. We have injury excuses kind of. What about the rest of the teams?

It's a long season. Deboer should be looking for extra points however he can get em.

Maybe time to split up the joes?

Marleau-jumbo-goldobin
Nieto-pavs-ward
Wingels-hertl-goodrow
Brown-tierney-carpenter?

I think it is time. It's not panic time, they just have to find a way to generate offense. They had good looks last night, just no finish.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
The D revert to backing in at the blue line so easily when they try to play safe, but do not keep their gaps small enough to prevent their opponents from getting through their stickchecks with a deke/pass or in this game just shielded the puck and plowed through the stick check, argh it annoys me to no end seeing that.

This drove me absolutely crazy as well, and I hope DeBoer attempts to nip this horrible habit (which has been going on for a while) in the bud. That's probably where we miss Martin the most, as he is great at pressuring forwards at the blueline and preventing clean entries.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Martin makes Burns better and puts Dillon in a matchup situation that is best-suited for his abilities. I think that's every bit as crucial as Couture's loss especially since our blue line isn't as deep in general as the forwards are. I think if the forwards besides Couture were healthy, they could sustain but not with Karlsson, Donskoi, and Smith all out and they have to ice Brown, Lerg, and Haley who all do not belong in an NHL lineup. Goodrow doesn't either but he's at least an acceptable 14th guy and he's playing on the 3rd line most nights at this point.

Exactly, but the other dimension is Marleau. Prior to the injuries, he was leading the Sharks goal production significantly. Now he's cooled off completely and sporting a +/- of -4. Marleau has to step it up, and certainly when needed to fill in the gaps as what's currently required. He needs to earn his $6m salary.

---

That first goal of the Kings was very good and obviously a scripted play and well-rehearsed. It looks like the NHL version of football's hail-mary pass.

It was predicated on winning the face-off (Tierney lost the FO here). While the King got control of the puck behind the FO circle, another King blocked a Shark while all the other Kings made a fast break for the Sharks zone the moment the FO was won, thus overloading the boards on Burns' side. The King with the puck made a lob pass in the air to the Sharks' blue line

Burns did not read the play. Dillion missed the play initially, but Tierney caught it and hustled after the Kings but was too late. The two other Sharks were caught completely off guard.

Burns should have hooked or tripped the King who scored (Carter?), and taken the penalty.

I thought that throwing blocks and screens on players without the puck is against the rules, which is what that one King did to allow his teammate to execute the lob pass.

Gutsy move to have three of your players exited your defensive zone while the puck is still there, and rather deep as it was close to the icing line. It likely shows what the Kings think of the Burns-Dillon pairing which is about the same as some here (well, count me in that as I don't believe that pairing is good either).

----

Finally, what's up with Martin Jones? His form in the net is not the same lately and it appears to have degraded. He was always square to the shooter and in great position to block the net, and repositioning was minimal effort on his part.

Last edited:

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
Not worried at all. The underlying stats looked fairly strong against the Rangers and the Sharks had their chances against an excellent Kings squad. In my opinion, the Sharks out-chanced the Kings and lost the bounce battle. 18 shots in the first is not a team not trying. Oh well.

They are really missing two top-6 forwards, as Donskoi was looking good, and a top-4 D. The Sharks are also playing legit contenders with full rosters. These loses aren't to Arizona and Edmonton. They'll be fine.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Donskoi is as much as a top 6 forward as karlsson was. And as seto was and as was galiardi. He isn't just like the others weren't. He just sadly is the best available option.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I'm glad Ward was on the top line by the end of the game

I've been saying since he was signed that it was inevitable he'd be the forechecker for the Joes, and I still think he's our best option for that role

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
So is Thornton showing any symptoms after the game? I was kind of worried that they rushed him back even though he was displaying some pretty significant red flags on the ice after the initial hit.

I mean sure losing the game sucks but that hit and Thornton's subsequent health is what scares me the most.

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
So is Thornton showing any symptoms after the game? I was kind of worried that they rushed him back even though he was displaying some pretty significant red flags on the ice after the initial hit.

I mean sure losing the game sucks but that hit and Thornton's subsequent health is what scares me the most.

He practiced the day after as normal. Claimed it was a skate issue (with a grin).

I'm sure we'll have many Maude Flanders types freaking out over this, but I will trust Joe to know his body. This isn't some 4th liner or rookie fighting for a spot in the lineup.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Neither are the doctors who cleared him? Okay.

Players are not above lying to get cleared. There are some symptoms that they can hide if they choose when it comes to concussions. And even the doctors that clear him are not foolproof even when players are honest when it comes to concussions.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Players are not above lying to get cleared. There are some symptoms that they can hide if they choose when it comes to concussions. And even the doctors that clear him are not foolproof even when players are honest when it comes to concussions.

Nowadays, no there are not.

I understand that the underlying numbers are good. But this is a team that frequently falls short despite great underlying numbers.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Nowadays, no there are not.

I understand that the underlying numbers are good. But this is a team that frequently falls short despite great underlying numbers.

NFL players go on record quite often as to playing despite their concussions. Jamaal Charles for example. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/22/jamaal-charles-i-didnt-want-to-go-through-the-concussion-protocol/

Not to mention how Boyle's concussion was still affecting him months after the fact and we all knew it and he talked about it in depth later on. As seen here:http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_24936760/

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
NFL players go on record quite often as to playing despite their concussions. Jamaal Charles for example. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/10/22/jamaal-charles-i-didnt-want-to-go-through-the-concussion-protocol/

Not to mention how Boyle's concussion was still affecting him months after the fact and we all knew it and he talked about it in depth later on. As seen here:http://www.mercurynews.com/sharks/ci_24936760/

Yes, but those are more instances of negligence and doctors only being able to do so much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad