GDT: Game 7: Columbus at Minnesota|8:00pm EST FSO|

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Me too. Mason got scored on 3 times and the Jackets lost so cue the bile, but looking at it objectively, as in not as a traumatized Jackets fan and Mason without his reputation, he played a strong enough game. Not elite by any means, but some of the saves he made were elite. The issue of how the guys play in front of him remains, but maybe they'll shape up if he continues like this. By the way, I missed the Chicago game, but was he terrible in it? He didn't let many by that game, either. Hopefully he'll play differently with Bobs challenging him, I think Bobrovsky is the first legit challenger for the #1 spot he's had to face down.

I agree with the rest of your post, too, and we saw that classic act in the Red Wings game. sigh.

But with a run at home, as has been pointed out, this kind of play (except the first 3/4 of the second) will elevate the team to what I was hoping for, realistically

He was even better in the Chicago. Not one goal was soft or purely his fault.

One thing that is encouraging to me with Mason's play is that this was only his third game since the end of last year, so going forward he should have all of the rust off and should be hitting his stride.

IHeartZherdev*

Ice time tonight.

Derek Dorsett - 17:33

Artem Anisimov - 14:54

:help:

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Mason was the better goalie tonight...i think i just saw taht Minny had 11 chances from the high scoring zone tonight...we had 1...ONE...UNO...the defense let us down tonight...

Backstrom was giving up all kinds of rebounds tonight but his defense was there to clear each one...

Mason was the better goalie? After rewatching parts of the game, ok.

The defense let us down tonight? Nope. They accounted for half the goals. The offense maintained pressure in the offensive zone ONCE, maybe twice. Too much pressure on both the defense and the goalie - no matter who it is. But, we all KNEW this would happen.

IHeartZherdev*

Mason was the better goalie? After rewatching parts of the game, ok.

The defense let us down tonight? Nope. They accounted for half the goals. The offense maintained pressure in the offensive zone ONCE, maybe twice. Too much pressure on both the defense and the goalie - no matter who it is. But, we all KNEW this would happen.

Did you watch the game? Nikitin literally passed the puck to the Wild multiple times. Tyutin was a -2, was basically responsible for the goals, and towards the end of the game, took an extremely lazy penalty when he let a guy blow right by him, then gave the Wild a penalty shot, and then couldn't do anything let alone hold keep the puck in the offensive zone on the PP.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Did you watch the game? Nikitin literally passed the puck to the Wild multiple times. Tyutin was a -2, was basically responsible for the goals, and towards the end of the game, took an extremely lazy penalty when he let a guy blow right by him, then gave the Wild a penalty shot, and then couldn't do anything let alone hold keep the puck in the offensive zone on the PP.

Totally right, it was Tyutin, not Moore, who got blown around on the third goal. And it was Tyutin, not Wisniewski, who blocked the shot right to Gilbert's stick for the 2nd goal. And of course it was Tyutin (who turned the puck over on the side boards (it was Umberger) that lead to a softie five hole on Mason. All that on Tyutin.

We should really all get on board with who the whipping boy is. We all agreed (minus me) that last year it was Aaron Johnson, now we're all over the place. Which is it, Tyutin Brassard Umberger or Mason?

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Totally right, it was Tyutin, not Moore, who got blown around on the third goal. And it was Tyutin, not Wisniewski, who blocked the shot right to Gilbert's stick for the 2nd goal. And of course it was Tyutin (who turned the puck over on the side boards (it was Umberger) that lead to a softie five hole on Mason. All that on Tyutin.

We should really all get on board with who the whipping boy is. We all agreed (minus me) that last year it was Aaron Johnson, now we're all over the place. Which is it, Tyutin Brassard Umberger or Mason?

This is how I know that this team is not has bad as some would like to think. Some are just looking for someone to blame for everything, but no one (maybe RJ real soon) has been so bad that everyone latches on to them.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

Oh no, we're on the same page. It's Umberger. I still have faith he'll get his wheels back and turn it around.

IHeartZherdev*

Who leads the team in minus ratinng?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Time for real NHL players and a real NHL coach. And fans who expect real NHL hockey and aren't satisfied with "effort" as if these are a bunch of twelve years olds and not millionaire professionals.

How about fans who understand what a rebuild is, and having realistic expectations as such?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Who leads the team in minus ratinng?

who thinks plus/minus is the most overrated stat in hockey?

images

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
If Jam or Erixon is getting called up, hopefully they can add some much needed offense. Not sure if they'll get PP time but perhaps if they do, just maybe they can make it better.

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
This is how I know that this team is not has bad as some would like to think. Some are just looking for someone to blame for everything, but no one (maybe RJ real soon) has been so bad that everyone latches on to them.

Umby has been pretty bad. He was a minus nearly every time he touched the puck tonight. and last night he made maybe one play that an NHL forward should make. I honestly think it is because he is out of shape.

NotWendell

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Umby has been pretty bad. He was a minus nearly every time he touched the puck tonight. and last night he made maybe one play that an NHL forward should make. I honestly think it is because he is out of shape.

Remember what his reaction was this time last season when Arniel dared to suggest that?

bizzz*

Tyutin is officially the worst player in the NHL. He single handedly gifted this game to the Wild. He does his best every night to give the games away....every night he is -2, -3, and mostly those goals are due to his lazy play and turnovers.

There is no excuse to keep him and his contract on this team. Nikitn was great without him at the end of last season, and now Toots is ruining him. Trade him for a bag of pucks and bring up Erixon.

It's not fair to our goalies, who keep playing their tails off and keep getting hung out to try by this lazy, entitled clown who obviously could care less about winning.

Also - unless Todd Richards is under strict orders to tank, his refusal to play Anisimov on the PowerPlay (less than 30 seconds again tonight) while giving Brass and RJ and Letest plenty of PP minutes is a fireable offense. What a complete joke.

Time for real NHL players and a real NHL coach. And fans who expect real NHL hockey and aren't satisfied with "effort" as if these are a bunch of twelve years olds and not millionaire professionals.

Only mentally unhealthy person could write this.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Last night he made 2 key defensive plays right before they scored both goals.
First was getting the puck away from Jagr in the defensive zone which eventually lead to the rush that ended up in a goal. Second, think he disrupted Morrow as he was about to shoot it at a key scoring area. Moments later, they scored.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I missed tonight's game and can't tell a damn thing about the game from this GDT. So many posters I don't trust because of their established biases that they refuse to come off of.

IHeartZherdev*

How about fans who understand what a rebuild is, and having realistic expectations as such?

When did I say I expected wins?

I'm fine with a young guy like Moore, Johan, making mistakes and learning. I don't expect playoffs or a winning season.

What I do expect is our veterans, say, 29 year olds like Tyutin or RJ Umberger, with huge contracts, to not make lazy plays and rookie mistakes every period. Turnovers happen. I get that. But it is unacceptable for guys like that to just be awful night after night, and never be held accountable.

Could there be anything worse for our rebuild than having our high paid veterans setting this kind of example for our young guys?

What message are we sending to Anisimov, a new player hoping too have a big role here, who has been our biggest offensive threat, when we won't put him on the Powerplay and keep trotting out Brassard even after that unit goes 0-for-20?

Ceff Jarter

Registered Duster
Aug 6, 2012
Last night he made 2 key defensive plays right before they scored both goals.
First was getting the puck away from Jagr in the defensive zone which eventually lead to the rush that ended up in a goal. Second, think he disrupted Morrow as he was about to shoot it at a key scoring area. Moments later, they scored.

I was actually referring to the Jagr play and I don't recall him disrupting Morrow but you could be right. Even if he did make both of those plays last night I still don't like where he is trending.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Oh no, we're on the same page. It's Umberger. I still have faith he'll get his wheels back and turn it around.

I'd like to share this sentiment, but wow, he's been so disappointing so far. Spectacularly so, really. He just doesn't look right. Either he's literally 'lost it' or is hurt in some way, but he is not pulling his weight to this observer.

that said, there's hardly any one cause for what we're seeing here, but it seems to me that the major pieces are:

lack of solid forward play
bad passing out of the defensive zone
poor PP

IMO, nothing incurable is going on here. I think we're seeing what you see when you throw together a bunch of new guys with a little more than two weeks of ice time together. Let's face it, this is never going to be a pretty team to watch. I appreciate the work ethic, particularly in comparison to what I've seen over the years. If that makes someone question my fandom or hockey sense, they can **** off.

I was stuck with the Jeep today and didn't have XM, so I listened to the radio for the first time in awhile. One of the 97.1 guys actually made a point today that I wish some folks would take to heart.

This team isn't going to compete for a cup, and is not deserving of 12 years of pent up venom. The organization is at a turning point, and is going forward with a plan to build a contender. It's going to take some time, brick by brick, as it were and you can either choose to watch them grow and enjoy the change in culture and ability as these players grow, or you can be miserable and ***** at them like an abusive parent at a midget game.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I was actually referring to the Jagr play and I don't recall him disrupting Morrow but you could be right. Even if he did make both of those plays last night I still don't like where he is trending.
Might have not been on Morrow but he did something and the Stars announcer were praising him. But yes, even with those 2 plays, he's not performing the way we need him to.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
When did I say I expected wins?

I'm fine with a young guy like Moore, Johan, making mistakes and learning. I don't expect playoffs or a winning season.

What I do expect is our veterans, say, 29 year olds like Tyutin or RJ Umberger, with huge contracts, to not make lazy plays and rookie mistakes every period. Turnovers happen. I get that. But it is unacceptable for guys like that to just be awful night after night, and never be held accountable.

Could there be anything worse for our rebuild than having our high paid veterans setting this kind of example for our young guys?

What message are we sending to Anisimov, a new player hoping too have a big role here, who has been our biggest offensive threat, when we won't put him on the Powerplay and keep trotting out Brassard even after that unit goes 0-for-20?

Uhh the PP scored today and I'll argue Brassard wasn't a problem tonight. I might even say he was pretty good.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I'd like to share this sentiment, but wow, he's been so disappointing so far. Spectacularly so, really. He just doesn't look right. Either he's literally 'lost it' or is hurt in some way, but he is not pulling his weight to this observer.

that said, there's hardly any one cause for what we're seeing here, but it seems to me that the major pieces are:

lack of solid forward play
bad passing out of the defensive zone
poor PP

IMO, nothing incurable is going on here. I think we're seeing what you see when you throw together a bunch of new guys with a little more than two weeks of ice time together. Let's face it, this is never going to be a pretty team to watch. I appreciate the work ethic, particularly in comparison to what I've seen over the years. If that makes someone question my fandom or hockey sense, they can **** off.

I was stuck with the Jeep today and didn't have XM, so I listened to the radio for the first time in awhile. One of the 97.1 guys actually made a point today that I wish some folks would take to heart.

This team isn't going to compete for a cup, and is not deserving of 12 years of pent up venom. The organization is at a turning point, and is going forward with a plan to build a contender. It's going to take some time, brick by brick, as it were and you can either choose to watch them grow and enjoy the change in culture and ability as these players grow, or you can be miserable and ***** at them like an abusive parent at a midget game.

Wow that might be the best thing to come from The Fan in 20+ years. :handclap:

IHeartZherdev*

who thinks plus/minus is the most overrated stat in hockey?

images

From watching the games - he literally makes plays every single night that result in the puck being in the back of our own net.

As far as plus minus goes, obviously, not every single minus or plus is directly related to that player's actions. But, taken as a whole, it is telling.

Quality defensemen on good teams like Chara or Lidstrom are consistently double digit plus players every year. On bad teams, a quality d-man may be closer to even or a single digit minus player.

He was a -21 last year. He basically cancels out all of his point production with terrible defensive plays, which hurts the team. The worst part is the terrible plays he makes are preventable and correctable yet he is never held accountable and he is happy to make the same risky passes or bad plays night after night, year after year

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I missed tonight's game and can't tell a damn thing about the game from this GDT. So many posters I don't trust because of their established biases that they refuse to come off of.

I'll sum it up.

CBJ came out flying for first 10mins. Soft Goal MIN. All energy sucked out of CBJ until sometime in the second when they pulled to 2-1. Solid third period, coming back to tie it (PP goal!), then a defensive breakdown at the defensive blue line leads to a 2 on 1 break with a snipe to give MIN the lead. 2 failed PPs later, the game was over.

CBJ showed some character on the road, quick start, then being able to come back from 2-0 after going flat after the softie. Mason was actually fairly excellent, but allowed a soft one again when the team least needed it. (on MIN's second shot, no less).

IHeartZherdev*

Uhh the PP scored today and I'll argue Brassard wasn't a problem tonight. I might even say he was pretty good.

I hear that - although I do want more from a key offensive player than just "not being a problem." But I don't understand why tonight, or last game, Arty was given no PP time.

His last goal, he scored from in front of the net. He is big. He's perfect to camp in front of the net, and is more skilled than RJ when it comes to grabbing a rebound.

I'm not saying give Anisimov 4:00 of PP time and Brass none. Why can't they both get close to equal time, to showcase what they can do, and earn more time depending on their production?

I don't see what Brass has done to earn 3 and a half minutes PP while Arty gets 30 seconds, which by watching, is him usually coming over the boards while the puck is behind our net with like 20 seconds left in the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad