GDT: Game 7- Blues @ Vancouver

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
We're going to have games like this, this season. It's what it is. And that's OK.

I feel really bad for Binny because he deserves a lot better. This group is really helpless when they come up against a team willing to fight back.

Reactions: Thallis

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
better team definitely won

blues still have more points than expected on the trip so it could be worse

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
Anyone that still states or thinks that Binnington is a major problem with this decline should be forced to watch this game on loop 5 times consecutively, and then be asked “Would you rather change your answer, or watch this game one more time?”

It should have been 4-0 by the end of the 1st.

Reactions: GoldenSeal and mk80

DoubleK81

It's always something with these pricks.
Sep 10, 2010
PETRO SUCKS
Anyone that still states or thinks that Binnington is a major problem with this decline should be forced to watch this game on loop 5 times consecutively, and then be asked “Would you rather change your answer, or watch this game one more time?”

It should have been 4-0 by the end of the 1st.
ALl the talking heads and analysts will think Binnington is trash becasue all they look at is numbers

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
Is anyone on this forum willing to admit that a goalie has a unique ability to either instill calmness into his teammates or panic? Pronger quote, anyone?

Whether or not 50 is playing well I have the opinion that his teammates arent very confident with him in net. I cant say Im confident either. He was lucky to not give up 4 in the first as the posters above eluded to -- but he was also sliding out of his net and scrambling on desperation plays too often and Van just missed the net or shot the puck into him. He plays small and cannot stay upright on his edges and in the crease.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Is anyone on this forum willing to admit that a goalie has a unique ability to either instill calmness into his teammates or panic? Pronger quote, anyone?

Whether or not 50 is playing well I have the opinion that his teammates arent very confident with him in net. I cant say Im confident either. He was lucky to not give up 4 in the first as the posters above eluded to -- but he was also sliding out of his net and scrambling on desperation plays too often and Van just missed the net or shot the puck into him. He plays small and cannot stay upright on his edges and in the crease.
No, not even close.

We’ve seen what Binnington can do at his best so there’s no reason not to trust him.

But for argument’s sake, let’s just go along with it and assume he’s untrustworthy.

Have the Blues looked any different when any of Hofer, Greiss and Husso have been in the net? If you can answer yes to that question then you would have a point. However, nobody can say yes to that question, because that hasn’t happened. The team looks the same no matter what. You cannot blame the goalie for everyone else’s shitty performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: mk80

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

IT doesnt matter who plays behind this garbage team If team doesnt help him he'll get destroyed.

How many breakaway goals Blues allowed this game?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
From what I've seen here, I'm glad I forgot there was a game tonight (or more accurately, i forgot today was Friday). Usually that's a disaster. But it worked out nicely that I caught yesterdays game, but missed this one. Let's hope they play better the next several games, and have a really great draft in 2024.

sbet1998

Feb 12, 2012
No, not even close.

We’ve seen what Binnington can do at his best so there’s no reason not to trust him.

But for argument’s sake, let’s just go along with it and assume he’s untrustworthy.

Have the Blues looked any different when any of Hofer, Greiss and Husso have been in the net? If you can answer yes to that question then you would have a point. However, nobody can say yes to that question, because that hasn’t happened. The team looks the same no matter what. You cannot blame the goalie for everyone else’s shitty performance.
I think its a little early to bring up Hofer -- but the team played their best game in front of him. Greiss was awful and I think maybe you dont remember who saved the 2021-22 season when 50 was one of the worst goaltenders in the league -- Husso, the rookie.

Same team but a much different result. Some of you are living in the past/nostalgia when it comes to 50.

Last edited:

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
From what I've seen here, I'm glad I forgot there was a game tonight (or more accurately, i forgot today was Friday). Usually that's a disaster. But it worked out nicely that I caught yesterdays game, but missed this one. Let's hope they play better the next several games, and have a really great draft in 2024.
you know its bad when even robb is looking forward to the draft in 2024 and its only october

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Or the team played the way it did because you didn’t watch the game…. Maybe you need to quit being so selfish.😎

No more missing games Rob.

I missed it too.

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I’m going to forget it’s October and skip a few more.

Reactions: Itsnotatrap

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Woof. I turned it off last night and only just finished. Don't know why I finished Normally, when a team dominates so much early, they ease off, and the stats look a little more even in the end. That happened here as well, and we still didn't win a period on any statistical measure (shots, Corsi, Xgf goals, etc). That was one of the ugliest games from the Blues ever.

So here's the good the bad and the ugly....

The Good....

The Bad.....

The Ugly:
EVERYTHING!!!!

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
A tough game to watch for sure. Poor Binner was left out to dry. Vancouver messed with his head on those breakaways too - first one was five hole, so on the next one he goes down early and Miller makes a sweet deke around him, so then on the third he stays upright and they go five hole again. Second goal goes in off a skate. Just a rough night for him after playing lights out in the first.

I had zero expectations for Kevin Hayes and yet I'm still disappointed. Neighbors needs to sit, he got blown by multiple times on point coverage by Vancouver's D man (Once that led directly to the second goal).

I thought Kapanen played a solid game. I think Parayko has been quietly having a solid season.

Krug needs to get shot into the sun. Just sit his ass for Peru, at least on the PP. Makes it all the worse that Sandheim is having a really solid start to his season.

Let's not give AP a NMC but give Krug a full NTC. Even if Army was drunk off all the hooch in the world you can't defend that decision.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
A tough game to watch for sure. Poor Binner was left out to dry. Vancouver messed with his head on those breakaways too - first one was five hole, so on the next one he goes down early and Miller makes a sweet deke around him, so then on the third he stays upright and they go five hole again. Second goal goes in off a skate. Just a rough night for him after playing lights out in the first.

I had zero expectations for Kevin Hayes and yet I'm still disappointed. Neighbors needs to sit, he got blown by multiple times on point coverage by Vancouver's D man (Once that led directly to the second goal).

I thought Kapanen played a solid game. I think Parayko has been quietly having a solid season.

Krug needs to get shot into the sun. Just sit his ass for Peru, at least on the PP. Makes it all the worse that Sandheim is having a really solid start to his season.

Let's not give AP a NMC but give Krug a full NTC. Even if Army was drunk off all the hooch in the world you can't defend that decision.

I gave you a like for everything else being spot on, but couldn't like a post advocating playing Perunovich without commenting (snarking?). Perunovich played 9+ minutes of 5v5 hockey and we had 0 shots on goal. 0 attempts. Not a Corsi or Fenwick to be found when he was on ice. Only 2 shots in the almost 2 minutes he was on the PP time, Why do we want him out there? Everyone said he's help transition us to offense and create offense. He hasn't.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I gave you a like for everything else being spot on, but couldn't like a post advocating playing Perunovich without commenting (snarking?). Perunovich played 9+ minutes of 5v5 hockey and we had 0 shots on goal. 0 attempts. Not a Corsi or Fenwick to be found when he was on ice. Only 2 shots in the almost 2 minutes he was on the PP time, Why do we want him out there? Everyone said he's help transition us to offense and create offense. He hasn't.
I 100% agree with that, the only defense I have for my argument is that he DOESN'T pass it straight to an opposing player and give up a breakaway. Also, I was talking more about the PP then anything else, right now something needs to change, we're almost 10% into the season and we have 1 PP goal all year. If we're going to rock an 11-7 group, might as well let Peru eat on the PP since he's kinda useless everywhere else.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Woof. I turned it off last night and only just finished. Don't know why I finished Normally, when a team dominates so much early, they ease off, and the stats look a little more even in the end. That happened here as well, and we still didn't win a period on any statistical measure (shots, Corsi, Xgf goals, etc). That was one of the ugliest games from the Blues ever.

So here's the good the bad and the ugly....

The Good....

The Bad.....

The Ugly:
EVERYTHING!!!!
4/4 on the PK is a positive, but everything else was abysmal

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I mean I understand your point and I think there would be merit if this trend continued, but the dude hasn't played an NHL game in 2 years. He's never going to be a defensive stalwart but we ought to wait for more information to become available before making a hard stance on him as a player.

Perunovich had 20 points in 22 games in the AHL last year (not indicative but that's pretty good for a defenseman) and he had 8 points in 10 games at the WC. The guy can obviously score and if we're not going to be good at defense then f*** it let him play. Krug didn't look bad through a few games defensively, but he didn't keep that up just based on the eye test and was pretty awful last night (everyone was). Personally, I'll make comments about how some players are playing or what I saw from the game on that night, but I'm not going to make broad claims about a player until they've played something like ~15 games in that respective season.

I think the reason why people argue with you about this is because there's nothing at stake. There's absolutely nothing to lose by playing Perunovich this year. Plenty of players have played 100+ games in this league and not been replacement level players and at this point in the Blues construction, I think it's fine to attempt to develop the player. Each time you make a case about his numbers, none of us will disagree they are bad, but the same question will be asked: What is really at stake? The answer is going to be ubiquitously "Nothing."

Reactions: Ezpez and Blueston

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

That's some ridiculous mental gymnastics you're pulling there. Have you even watched Binny play this year and play when the pressure is on? He's one of the most clutch goalies in the league right now.
I think its a little early to bring up Hofer -- but the team played their best game in front of him. Greiss was awful and I think maybe you dont remember who saved the 2021-22 season when 50 was one of the worst goaltenders in the league -- Husso, the rookie.

Same team but a much different result. Some of you are living in the past/nostalgia when it comes to 50.

Ya, last year. I guess you don't recall that they were running Binny into the ground as per the usual Husso got almost no starts until Binny got Covid. He never looked right after Covid. He always looked tired and slow in the crease. People like you are quick to scream you suck but never look at reasons why that could be.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Maybe you don’t remember who saved the team in the 2022 playoffs since Husso couldn’t do it. It was Binnington.

It’s ridiculous to use a one game sample size for Hofer, when the team was playing a bad team on the first night of a back to back, where Binnington got the 2nd night. That’s not a fair comparison.

Plus, that was not Hofer’s first game of the season. Why did you not bring up his first game where he gave up 6 goals? Or the games he played for us in previous seasons? You’re creating a narrative here that is easily broken.

Binnington is a Cup winning goalie, he’s accomplished more than most guys on this roster have. If they don’t have confidence in him, that’s their problem. And Binnington himself sure as shit shouldn’t have any confidence in the team that’s in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad