GDT: Game 69: Red Wings @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Yeesh, gettin edgy. Domi went at whoever hit Schenn, probably deserves a roughing call TBH.

EDIT: So we're down Doan and Schenn, did Nyquist leave?

EDIT: Unsportsmanlike? Eh whatevs. I wasn't sure what Abdelkater did to deserve a penalty but I'm guessing it was something spoken and not physical.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just think about this:

3 of our 4 centers are:
Holland
Jooris
Martinook

when we solve the Center issue, then we can discuss about getting better. We need to bring in a center next year so we don't have to have Strome as our #1, either him or Dvorak.

Martinook isn't a center and Holland is completely useless, in fact, he might be an infiltrator for the other team with all of his turnovers.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I don't think the solution is out there in free agency. The top C's out there this summer are 5 years past their prime. And some teams are going to lose centers in the expansion draft.

Teams are probably going to get stupid with Hanzal's contract...

When you look at next year, I bet it will look alot like this year, minus Jooris and Holland, and plus players from the organization.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I don't think the solution is out there in free agency. The top C's out there this summer are 5 years past their prime. And some teams are going to lose centers in the expansion draft.

Teams are probably going to get stupid with Hanzal's contract...

When you look at next year, I bet it will look alot like this year, minus Jooris and Holland, and plus players from the organization.

Sarah M tweeted out one of her articles titled:
"Filling No. 1 center void could be tough ".

Article has a picture of Hanzal on it.

Yeah the #1 C void goes back a lot longer than the 2017 TDL :biglaugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Just think about this:

3 of our 4 centers are:
Holland
Jooris
Martinook

when we solve the Center issue, then we can discuss about getting better. We need to bring in a center next year so we don't have to have Strome as our #1, either him or Dvorak.

Martinook isn't a center and Holland is completely useless, in fact, he might be an infiltrator for the other team with all of his turnovers.

Well, we get Richardson back, but you have rather eloquently explained why I would like to float Strome for Duchene. If Strome is guaranteed to be producing in three years (after Duchene's contract is up), then it is a close call. If it takes him longer to reach that level of #1 C, then let Duchene come in for two years (possibly more), and let the C that we take this year be the guy that we wait on, and not Strome.

Otherwise, we will be a victim of some of our own circumstance - we always want an elite #1 C, but tend to have the wrong people take that position (Ribeiro, and possibly Strome). I think that we will ultimately never see Strome live up to the exact expectations that fans here assume. Instead of cracking 75 points with regularity, he will top out at 60 (still a good number). If that is the case, then there better be several other intangibles that you have going for you to make up for that. Think poor man's Patrice Bergeron, even though they are different players.

Skating is being worked on, but will never be elite. So, Strome better gain an immense amount of muscle and strength quickly without slowing down his speed to compete, or his cerebral ability on ice has to multiply that much faster. Considering how quickly Dvorak has picked things up - even though he is a year older but also had a severe knee injury that could shorten his NHL career down the line - is nobody a little concerned that the player with perfect health and bloodlines may take a much longer route to the NHL?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I still don't see what Strome has done to tarnish his potential to be a #1C apart from being not McDavid.

I'd start him next season at 2C with Dvorak holding down the 1C and Richardson at 3C. I would use the Richardson line a bit more than most 3rd lines, as a shut down line against some of the top lines out there, until Dvorak gets more experience and Strome gets used to the NHL game.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I still don't see what Strome has done to tarnish his potential to be a #1C apart from being not McDavid.

I'd start him next season at 2C with Dvorak holding down the 1C and Richardson at 3C. I would use the Richardson line a bit more than most 3rd lines, as a shut down line against some of the top lines out there, until Dvorak gets more experience and Strome gets used to the NHL game.

Is it a lock for Strome to make the roster, or could he end up in Tucson?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Agreed with all of this. I still think Strome will be a low to medium end 1C, and FTR I think he'll be a better pro than keller. IIRC I was one of the few who suggested he might need two years in juniors right after we drafted him(page 18 of the draft thread, advanced search actually works pretty well), and it actually wouldn't shock me if he needed a few months in the AHL too. He needs time to work on his physical tools.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

Maybe it is not what he has done to tarnish himself, but what he hasn't done to separate himself from the other players. I know that is a very tough thing to deal with, because yes, he does need some additional time.

There is nothing on my watch that says that his time is going to take fewer than 3 or 4 years before he becomes a true #1. Even as Ultra said, he may be a low to middle tier #1 C in the long run. If we have to wait four years for a player to develop into, at best, a middle tier #1 C, then that is a very difficult pill to swallow if we can gain similar talent that is both ready now and has an inkling to stay in Arizona for the long term.

From a prospect potential standpoint at forward (I still consider some of these players to be prospects), I have Keller, Dvorak, and Perlini all rated ahead of Strome right now.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
West Valley fans are fickle.:naughty:

It was all of those Red Wings fans born and raised in South Detroit Scottsdale who are going to be expected to pay 3x current ticket prices and sell out every game in the hypothetical new arena. Their ghetto is right next door to Little Chicago. :D

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It was all of those Red Wings fans born and raised in South Detroit Scottsdale who are going to be expected to pay 3x current ticket prices and sell out every game in the hypothetical new arena. Their ghetto is right next door to Little Chicago. :D

Yep. I agree with you! Well, maybe only 2x the current prices.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

I know I sensed a disturbance in The Force with the emergence of the dark east side. :darth:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know I sensed a disturbance in The Force with the emergence of the dark east side. :darth:

I wonder if they pretend the haboobs are just dust storms stirred up by lake-effect weather off of Lake Pleasant or Saguaro Lake, just so they can feel like they're still home. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad