GDT: Game 69 | Pittsburgh Penguins @ Toronto Maple Leafs | 7PM | LOL, 69!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
No. It’s not good by any stretch but it’s not... that.

Really speaks to how blind that regime became when 3 years later the 4th line is still not as bad despite injuries to 3 different wingers.

I'm sure as f*** not condoning what DB/Shero did, but I think JR/Pens are absolute trend setters for what fans have wanted for years. A 4th line that is skilled is not something the NHL was all about literally until the Pens won 2 Cups in a row. A VERY few amount of teams tried it. Pens lucked their way into it once with the Buzz Line (technically played 3L).

So putting all that on DB/Shero is silly when the other NHL teams were equally as dumb.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm sure as **** not condoning what DB/Shero did, but I think JR/Pens are absolute trend setters for what fans have wanted for years. A 4th line that is skilled is not something the NHL was all about literally until the Pens won 2 Cups in a row. A VERY few amount of teams tried it. Pens lucked their way into it once with the Buzz Line (technically played 3L).

So putting all that on DB/Shero is silly when the other NHL teams were equally as dumb.

Gladams was bad even by those standards.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Hopefully Jooris has some playmaking ability. At least Rowney is better on the wing and it’s pretty much playoff time for him.

I’m actually excited to see Jooris. Hopefully he’s good enough so Rowney is the first one dropped when ZAR, Rust or Simon come back.

Just think how good the lineup is going to be oncs those last 3 names you listed take over for Kuhn, Rowney, and Jooris.

ZAR or Simon on LW3 ( id try ZAR) and Simon or ZAR - Sheahan - Rust for the 4th line.

By the way, if they are going with Kuhn - Jooris - Rowney then play them at least 12+ minutes. Why wear out the rest of the team or risk more injury before the playoffs because of the 4th line.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Just think how good the lineup is going to be oncs those last 3 names you listed take over for Kuhn, Rowney, and Jooris.

ZAR or Simon on LW3 ( id try ZAR) and Simon or ZAR - Sheahan - Rust for the 4th line.

By the way, if they are going with Kuhn - Jooris - Rowney then play them at least 12+ minutes. Why wear out the rest of the team or risk more injury before the playoffs because of the 4th line.

They don’t need 12+ minutes though. 10 would be max I’d say. Brassard needs more minutes to gel with the team. Below is a pretty good number.

Crosby 19
Malkin 18
Brassard 17
Jooris 10

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'm sure as **** not condoning what DB/Shero did, but I think JR/Pens are absolute trend setters for what fans have wanted for years. A 4th line that is skilled is not something the NHL was all about literally until the Pens won 2 Cups in a row. A VERY few amount of teams tried it. Pens lucked their way into it once with the Buzz Line (technically played 3L).

The Penguins had the worst 4th line in the NHL in 2014. It’s not even about being particularly skilled, it’s about being an NHL player better than your average AHL jobber. 2014’s roster was garbage. 2013 is more on Dan because he had options that year and still iced the worst 4th line.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
They don’t need 12+ minutes though. 10 would be max I’d say. Brassard needs more minutes to gel with the team. Below is a pretty good number.

Crosby 19
Malkin 18
Brassard 17
Jooris 10

Yeah Brassard definitely needs more ice time to gel. Im more responding to those saying the 4th line shouldnt play. Weve already seen 3 injuries lately, last thing we need is another right now. So id play that 4th line as much as i could, while still trying to win the game(thats the tricky part)

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah Brassard definitely needs more ice time to gel. Im more responding to those saying the 4th line shouldnt play. Weve already seen 3 injuries lately, last thing we need is another right now. So id play that 4th line as much as i could, while still trying to win the game(thats the tricky part)

Except if their awful play leads to a defenseman getting hurt blocking a shot because they’re hemmed into their own zone for the millionth time.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Yeah it’s a balancing act. We still want to win but we don’t want to kill ourselves doing it. Sully and the players know this pretty well so not too worth about that.

They’ll never drop the minutes too much. You still want that match fitness so it can’t go too low for too long.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The Penguins had the worst 4th line in the NHL in 2014. It’s not even about being particularly skilled, it’s about being an NHL player better than your average AHL jobber. 2014’s roster was garbage. 2013 is more on Dan because he had options that year and still iced the worst 4th line.

We are starting to see that change each year ...more skilled players are entering the league ( seeing more talent coming out of europe ) which is fading out the " grinder/dan byslma/mike sullivan/ type" players. 4th liners are expected to score now. And will continue to change each season

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Thats the tricky part

Honestly, that’s not tricky. They’re so bad they could manage to get the D or Jarry hurt if it all goes wrong. Potentially one of the centres if they double shift with Rownhack or get caught in a line change. There’s balancing the crap playing vs winning a game and there’s risking players because they suck. With the Pens’ luck Rowney blocks a shot into malkin’s face.

I’d also prefer not rattling a goalie via the shot blocking kingz.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jesus christ, which idiot thought it would be a good idea to roll out the Kuhn-Jooris-Rowney line as a 4th line?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I actually think even late stage Adams was a better player than whatever Rowney is supposed to be. The big frustration with Adams is they'd play him a ton in all situations. Sometimes with the team's best players.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I actually think even late stage Adams was a better player than whatever Rowney is supposed to be. The big frustration with Adams is they'd play him a ton in all situations. Sometimes with the team's best players.

I'll be super shocked if Rowney's even in the NHL in two seasons, let alone plays long enough to be late stage Adams.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Truth. But to be fair, if Ray hadn't kept on, infuriatingly, re-upping his contract season after season... I doubt he would have even reached late stage Adams. At least in an NHL context.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I almost wonder if the plan from here on out is for our 4C to be Crosby/Malkin double-shifting.

With 14 games left thats exactly what i dont want to see happen. Dont wear those guys out . Unless they want to go with Brassard -Sid/Geno - whoever else at times . Still want to see him get playing time with those two since it wont happen on the pp. Helping him get more comfortable with the team

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I almost wonder if the plan from here on out is for our 4C to be Crosby/Malkin double-shifting.

No Jooris is up to see how he is in the line up. It would be Sheahan moving back down if anything and unfortunately probably Kuhnhackl up (unless Jooris can play LW).

Crosby/Malkin with Rowney and Kuhnhackl is not happening. They don’t score enough to warrant that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad