GDT: Game #69 (Nice) Devils in Panthers Tropic Thunder country @ 6pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Chico is a GOAT but the TSN Broadcast has the greatest single shot in NHL Playoff history.

23EF43BC-72E4-4A7E-A1D3-156F905BE9FA.jpeg

F81B8F61-D14F-494A-B743-8D9D9DD311D0.jpeg

9DE6C421-A3A2-44FA-9696-E486C67A10A3.jpeg

0651D9AD-B1E7-466F-BC53-8240872D5F28.jpeg

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I mean, honestly? They are a young team. They will have to learn how to play playoff hockey.

I don't want to give the doom crowd any credence, but the concern is we just played three legit 'playoff' games and all of the original concerns about our smaller guys disappearing are being proved to at least a small degree.

You need to be at least a little concerned when we get an exceptional goaltending performance, our defense plays well, and our forwards completely shit the bed by throwing the puck away as fast as they can. We had a nice ten minutes to start the second period but yuck, we just got straight up beat.

Sharangovich, Bratt and Tatar were only noticable for throwing the puck away,

Severson seversoned on queue, and we took an ugly loss.

Just need a good bounceback against Tampa.

TF1970

May 9, 2021
I mean, honestly? They are a young team. They will have to learn how to play playoff hockey.

I don't want to give the doom crowd any credence, but the concern is we just played three legit 'playoff' games and all of the original concerns about our smaller guys disappearing are being proved to at least a small degree.

You need to be at least a little concerned when we get an exceptional goaltending performance, our defense plays well, and our forwards completely shit the bed by throwing three puck away as fast as they can.

Ya idk I’m just suddenly super down on them after how tonight went. By far the most I have been since probably the December skid. Just gives me a very negative vibe how badly they melted. Tomorrow night is probably a big time sway back if they win, but if they lose I’ll plummet even more.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

You need to be at least a little concerned when we get an exceptional goaltending performance, our defense plays well, and our forwards completely shit the bed by throwing three puck away as fast as they can.

We’ve played zero playoffs games though.

I don’t know how we’ll do in the playoffs but winning this doesn’t prove Florida is more Playoff-y or whatever.

It’s been established that we’re all worried about Bratt and Severson does dumb shit.

Sharangovich played on the 4th line and sat out 6 games before Thursday, but hey, people love blaming 4th liners on this board so have at it I guess.

Not sure how Tatar has been a problem and he scored on Thursday.

But the team is a work in progress, it’s been that all year. Not sure why that’s a bad thing.

Reactions: Louskoolaid89

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
There
We’ve played zero playoffs games though.

I don’t know how we’ll do in the playoffs but winning this doesn’t prove Florida is more Playoff-y or whatever.

It’s been established that we’re all worried about Bratt and Severson does dumb shit.

Sharangovich played on the 4th line and sat out 6 games before Thursday, but hey, people love blaming 4th liners on this board so have at it I guess.

Not sure how Tatar has been a problem and he scored on Thursday.

But the team is a work in progress, it’s been that all year. Not sure why that’s a bad thing.

I'm not really sure the point of your post? Playing games 'that matter' against good opponents fighting for playoff position is no barometer against which to judge out team?

Ok??

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010

You need to be at least a little concerned when we get an exceptional goaltending performance, our defense plays well, and our forwards completely shit the bed by throwing the puck away as fast as they can. We had a nice ten minutes to start the second period but yuck, we just got straight up beat.

To be fair though, our "smaller guys" i.e Hughes and Bratt have been struggling for quite some time now, especially Bratt. It didn't start in the last 3 games.

We also beat a very good playoff team before that in the Canes.

Don't be, though. Young kids.

I'm not saying we're going to win it all this year but there's lots of learning to do.
100% agreed. Because of the year we're having, I feel people forget this is literally the first year of the "post-rebuild". Our core is very young (Nico, Jack, Bratt, Meier, Mercer, etc.) and will need to gain experience.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
There

I'm not really sure the point of your post? Playing games 'that matter' against good opponents fighting for playoff position is no barometer against which to judge out team?

Ok??

Did it matter to us as much as it matters to the Panthers playing at home? Like playoff game matter to us? No.

So no, it’s not a playoff game.

I don’t think the Panthers mattered as much as Tampa does, just psychologically.

I think they’ll be more up for the Tampa re-match. The final games against the Rags and Bruins will likely be barnburners.

I didn’t see playoff intensity in this game particularly. We blew a lead and didn’t make a comeback. In a regular season game.

I wasn’t thrilled with any skaters performance, I’m hoping for more vs Tampa, which to me is a more important game.

Just psychologically, maybe only for the fans lol, but it would be nice to win that one. Losing three games to them in six days would feel bad. This Panthers game is just another regular season game.

Doesn’t mean I don’t care about winning or playing well.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Did it matter to us as much as it matters to the Panthers playing at home? Like playoff game matter to us? No.

So no, it’s not a playoff game.

I don’t think the Panthers mattered as much as Tampa does, just psychologically.

I think they’ll be more up for the Tampa re-match. The final games against the Rags and Bruins will likely be barnburners.

I didn’t see playoff intensity in this game particularly. We blew a lead and didn’t make a comeback. In a regular season game.

I wasn’t thrilled with any skaters performance, I’m hoping for more vs Tampa, which to me is a more important game.

Just psychologically, maybe only for the fans lol, but it would be nice to win that one. Losing three games to them in six days would feel bad. This Panthers game is just another regular season game.

Doesn’t mean I don’t care about winning or playing well.
This is just nonsensical babble really.

If you didn't see playoff intensity from the Cats, your just high. I'd we passed the canes and got in first, we would see them first round.

I'd you don't think possible playoff matchups are meaningful games where we'd like to test our team's mettle, Idk what to say, really.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think it's fair to be concerned after a bad game against a team you should beat, but at the same time I don't think it's indicative of huge issues or how the playoffs will go. They're a young team and looking at the schedule were probably more focused on the games against Tampa and overlooked Florida, who is literally playing for their playoff lives. It happens. Learn from it and move on.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Them treating this as a trap game would be of if they hadn't already lost to Tampa twice this week.

Plus these aren't meaningless games, we are knee deep in a division race that we lost ground (when we had golden chances to keep pace or even gain some ground).

If playoff seeding doesn't matter and we are just playing the string out then Jack should be shutdown until the playoffs as he is clearly not healthy.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
This is just nonsensical babble really.

If you didn't see playoff intensity from the Cats, your just high. I'd we passed the canes and got in first, we would see them first round.

I'd you don't think possible playoff matchups are meaningful games where we'd like to test our team's mettle, Idk what to say, really.

You think NHL players are looking at possible playoff match-ups and playing to set them up?

I’m actually pretty skeptical that happens.

They want to win. I’m also skeptical they scoreboard watched Carolina vs Philly like we did. (And probably assumed Carolina would win.)

I doubt players are doing math to figure out “what if”. Either they’re in 1st or aren’t.

The only way this game was extra-special is that it came after two frustrating losses and you don’t want another losing streak. And they knew the Panthers are a bubble team fighting for their lives.

They aren’t going to treat every game like it’s a playoff game for the next month because they want to get into first.

They should want to win and play better. Doesn’t make this a significant regular season game though.

We might just have to accept that we disagree on this because I’m not going to give a March away game vs the Panthers any particular special meaning. That’s just me.

The Tampa game is unique in that it feels like more. We personally don’t know how the players view anything obviously.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
We didn't get goalied man. Not at all. Not once. Not even with Vas. It's been pretty straight up giving the better quality chances against teams that are playing good hockey.

The second Tampa Bay game? Yes we f***ing did, after the first period we were better for the next 40 and especially in the 3rd.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
You think NHL players are looking at possible playoff match-ups and playing to set them up?

They want to win. I’m also skeptical they scoreboard watched Carolina vs Philly like we did. (And probably assumed Carolina would win.)

I doubt players are doing math to figure out “what if”. Either they’re in 1st or aren’t.

The only way this game was extra-special is that it came after two frustrating losses and you don’t want another losing streak. And they knew the Panthers are a bubble team fighting for their lives.

They aren’t going to treat every game like it’s a playoff game for the next month because they want to get into first.

They should want to win and play better. Doesn’t make this a significant regular season game though.

We might just have to accept that we disagree on this because I’m not going to give a March away game vs the Panthers any particular special meaning. That’s just me.

The Tampa game is unique in that it feels like more. We personally don’t know how the players view anything obviously.

Part of this disagreement might stem from the fact the team was pretty vocal on wanting to treat this week like a playoff series.

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
I think the announcers said our first loss of the season when leading in the 3rd period? If so not being able to hold a late lead is concerning.
this come back kids theme ain’t gonna work too well in a playoff series

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I think the announcers said our first loss of the season when leading in the 3rd period? If so not being able to hold a late lead is concerning.
If it was a trend, I'd agree. Why is it concerning if it's the first time it's happened all year?

Reactions: Clam Jensen

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

about our call team....

chico called matt 'matthew' at one point in the game..that was a new one

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Get home safe. And if your friend really has alcohol issues don’t buy him beer. Does TB have the designated driver program where they will give you free soft drinks at the game?
I’m not sure if they have free soft drinks for designated drivers at the game, but I can tell you a lot of the bars do. Ask me how I know that? From going with him, though we haven’t went in quite a few years now.

He’s a very functioning alcoholic. Or I would say he’s likely an alcoholic. I don’t think he drinks as much at home, except for when his wife isn’t home. So going to the game is an excuse for him to drink a bunch of beer. And he’s got the driver in me. On weeknight games in Tampa @Cage Helmet will come pick me up on his bike and my friend is already in downtown because that’s where he works. And I’ll wind up driving his truck home and either he calls me an Uber or his wife has to bring me home.

Back in 2018 he was getting a little out of control, much like I was in late 2002-early 2003. I’m happy to say I haven’t had a drop of the stuff since and it was a very short stint of drinking for me, but it was enough to keep me away forever.

He used to drink a lot when we were kids, but not anything too out of control. We have another friend who had lots of problems, but got sober in like 1998, when we were barely into our 20’s. That caused my buddy by me to lose his drinking buddy and he didn’t drink so much after that.

I think the stress of a family caused him to start drinking a whole lot in his 40’s. He also had a rough family life as a kid. I’ve had my problems with family, but I don’t envy him and the way he grew up.

He’s never drank and drove and he’s not a mean spirited person when he drinks. Just really chatty. And it’s caused him to gain some weight, but I can’t be sure that it’s just that. No one would have ever guessed 30 years ago that I would be skinnier than him in our middle age lol.

Reactions: My3Sons

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

I think given the fact that we are in a stretch playing against good teams, and we have a sandwich should-win game against a team that has underperformed all year but has clawed it's way back into a playoff spot... And a team that put up seven goals in the first period of their last game...

Yeah, I think there was significant motivation to bring your best game and see if you are a team capable of winning games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad