GDT: Game 69 • 3/14/2015 • Wild @ St. Louis • 7:00 PM Central • Emergency GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Some people think the whole "State of Hockey" thing is a bit egotistical.I actually kind of agree with this;Do we produce the most NHL players out of the US state?Yes.Do we have a strong high school and college hockey program?Yes.Were a large number of US olympic gold medalists from Minnesota?Yes.Should we be proud of that?Yes.Should we denigrate these achievements with a conceited marketing slogan like "The State of Hockey"?No I think it does come off as somewhat egocentric.

It'd be egocentric if we advertised ourselves as the State of Hockey, while having none of those achievements.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm really trying to not get ahead of things, but I think I'm in the same frame of mind as you are. Really think this team is just too talented to not be in the playoffs.

I really believe they can win any series.

Nice feeling to have after a couple years ago, when I think we all knew we weren't going to beat Chicago.

My biggest concern is Dubnyk; the forwards and defense I believe have enough depth there to get us past anything. The last time Backstrom played was in January. Kuemper as well. At this point, when do you give Dubnyk a rest because he's been playing non-stop since we traded for him. And that's my biggest issue is getting into the playoffs and Dubnyk is fatigued because we've been basically playing him every game of the season. He might be cramming an entire season into half a season and that can be exhausting.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
1) Remind me some time to introduce you to my friend Space Bar. He's a cool guy. ;)

2) I love the State of Hockey mantra. Because it's true. I always chuckle when people think that State of Hockey is just referring to the NHL, trying to jab at Minnesota with comments like: "State of hockey? They don't even have a cup!" :laugh:

Plenty of other states produce a lot of quality players,New York,Mass.,Michigan.

Well we don't have a cup so they kind of have a point.

Just because it's true doesn't mean you should be conceited about it,I think it lacks class.I really dislike it when Habs fans go on about all the cups for exactly this reason.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
It'd be egocentric if we advertised ourselves as the State of Hockey, while having none of those achievements.

A person who is egocentric believes they are the center of attention, like a narcissist, but does not receive gratification by one's own admiration.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
.500 hockey gets the Wild to 96pts.

We need LA to go at most 8-5-1 to clinch over them (LA could easily do better than that!)
We need Winnipeg to go at most 8-5-0 to clinch over them (They have the ability to do better than that).
If Calgary comes into it, we would need them to at most 8-4-1 (again, they've shown they can do better than that)

The Wild still need to play above .500 hockey to keep things secure.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Plenty of other states produce a lot of quality players,New York,Mass.,Michigan.

Just because it's true doesn't mean you should be conceited about it,I think it lacks class.I really dislike it when Habs fans go on about all the cups for exactly this reason.

Is Texas not known for their football? Indiana for basketball? No state in the USa has a high school hockey tournament/program like we do. Nobody has as many D1 hockey programs as we do. We produce nearly 20% of all American born NHLers in the NHL. We don't have a Cup? Well our franchise is only 14 years old. The North Stars were hear less than 30. I just had a friend move here from North Carolina. You know what he said to me? "Wow, everyone here really plays hockey."

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
My biggest concern is Dubnyk; the forwards and defense I believe have enough depth there to get us past anything. The last time Backstrom played was in January. Kuemper as well. At this point, when do you give Dubnyk a rest because he's been playing non-stop since we traded for him. And that's my biggest issue is getting into the playoffs and Dubnyk is fatigued because we've been basically playing him every game of the season. He might be cramming an entire season into half a season and that can be exhausting.

It seems they're just going to ride him for as long as they can. If Dubs says he feels good, he's in.

Then if he flames out, he flames out....

I don't really know what to make of it. Standard Operating Procedure says he probably should have sat one of these games. But when I think about it, are 3 or 4 days off over a span of 2 months really going to break him?

The Enemy Within

Holl at .6 seconds
Feb 25, 2014
West of the SOH

I think it's kind of odd to say a Minnesota sports fan is conceited about anything really. Kind of the opposite in almost every case. Hockey is practically the one thing that a Minnesotan sports fan has to say that this is OUR state sport. I don't think that Minnesota fans usually go out of their way to prove it to other fan bases.

If you really want to see what it means to be the State of Hockey then please try to make it to the State high school hockey tournament sometime. I kind of knew what I was getting into but to actually see it first hand last weekend, was enough to take my breath away.Truly an amazing sports spectacle like no other. Then you will more readily see why the Wild franchise adopting the "State of Hockey" mantra does fit.

What a game tonight! So glad I was able to record and watch this one. Could be a huge emotional boost as well as in the standings. Go Wild!

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Is Texas not known for their football? Indiana for basketball? No state in the USa has a high school hockey tournament/program like we do. Nobody has as many D1 hockey programs as we do. We produce nearly 20% of all American born NHLers in the NHL. We don't have a Cup? Well our franchise is only 14 years old. The North Stars were hear less than 30. I just had a friend move here from North Carolina. You know what he said to me? "Wow, everyone here really plays hockey."

Slight clarification: Minnesota has 5 D1 hockey schools, Michigan has 7, Massachusetts has 10

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

I am not saying there isn't any truth to it,just that people get tired of hearing it.Perhaps it is just me but I don't like it when people feel the need to tell me how great they are.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
I am not saying there isn't any truth to it,just that people get tired of hearing it.Perhaps it is just me but I don't like it when people feel the need to tell me how great they are.

Then don't listen to them.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Then don't listen to them.

If I am talking to someone and they start going on about how awesome they are,or how much $$$ they make,I think; "Hey this guy is a bit of an egomaniac".
I make a judgement about people based on my interactions with them.
The whole point of my statements are in response to why do some fanbases seem to hate the Minnesota fan base,I think this is one of the bigger reasons why and I can understand the sentiment.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
My point is; love me, hate me, I don't give a flying **** because I don't know any of them.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
It's not the quality of hockey, it's the quantity of hockey and the lack of quality and quantity of other sports. Same thing here in Finland, the only country in the world who can draw even near to Canadian levels of country-wide hockey madness.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Stay classy.
The bottom line, he isn't changing his life just to satisfy how others want to look at him.

Props... be yourself! Again, the State of Hockey slogan is a slogan to embrace the local hockey market, and not treat hockey other than the NHL as competition, but as an asset to the area. It's a GREAT strategy for the franchise, one that the North Stars Failed miserably on.... looking at all other forms of hockey as a reason to fail instead.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
It's not the quality of hockey, it's the quantity of hockey and the lack of quality and quantity of other sports. Same thing here in Finland, the only country in the world who can draw even near to Canadian levels of country-wide hockey madness.

Slovakia,Russia and Latvia can as well.

Minnewildsota

Jun 7, 2010
The bottom line, he isn't changing his life just to satisfy how others want to look at him.

Props... be yourself! Again, the State of Hockey slogan is a slogan to embrace the local hockey market, and not treat hockey other than the NHL as competition, but as an asset to the area. It's a GREAT strategy for the franchise, one that the North Stars Failed miserably on.... looking at all other forms of hockey as a reason to fail instead.

This why would I care what other people think? Especially people that I don't know and will most likely never meet in real life. If they have a problem with the State of Hockey slogan, they can write a letter to the Minnesota Wild to discuss their disdain for the slogan.

I like the slogan.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

The bottom line is that it is boorish and makes us look like egomaniacs.

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
Slovakia,Russia and Latvia can as well.

No. In Russia, basketball & football are waaaay above hockey. Volleyball arguably too.

In Slovakia, football is the #1, with hockey coming as a nice #2. They have had more international success in hockey than in football.

In Latvia, hockey is really popular though, there you are right.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
No. In Russia, basketball & football are waaaay above hockey. Volleyball arguably too.

In Slovakia, football is the #1, with hockey coming as a nice #2. They have had more international success in hockey than in football.

In Latvia, hockey is really popular though, there you are right.

I lived in Slovakia for a while,Trencin and Bratislava.Hockey is huge and if any of the national teams were playing there would be a massive amount of national support.There would be similiar support for the football teams as well,to be fair.

Hey if Finland qualified for the FIFA World Cup don't you think there would be nationwide Football madness in Finland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad