GDT: Game 69 • 3/14/2015 • Wild @ St. Louis • 7:00 PM Central • Emergency GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
There's a difference between being proud of an accomplishment and being egocentric.

In my original post I said we should be proud of these accomplishments but that pushing them in the face of hockey fans from other areas and declaring ourselves the center of hockey in the USA may come off as egotistical to others.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Apparently celebrating a large part of your state's culture is now an "egotistical" thing to do? Not sure I follow that logic either.
It's the same logic behind those who try to shame people for being excited when an athelete from their country does well in the olympics, and people of that country celebrate about it... the shamers call them jingoists...

We're not allowed to fall for the Wild's embracement of the local hockey culture here now supposedly... yet it's ok for Detroit to tout themselves as hockey town usa when that's really Warroad.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
In my original post I said we should be proud of these accomplishments but that pushing them in the face of hockey fans from other areas and declaring ourselves the center of hockey in the USA may come off as egotistical to others.

Fair enough, we can probably all just agree to disagree here and leave it at that...

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
I lived in Slovakia for a while,Trencin and Bratislava.Hockey is huge and if any of the national teams were playing there would be a massive amount of national support.There would be similiar support for the football teams as well,to be fair.

Hey if Finland qualified for the FIFA World Cup don't you think there would be nationwide Football madness in Finland?

Ha, like that would ever happen. We dont qualify even to the Euro Championship tourney.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
Ha, like that would ever happen. We dont qualify even to the Euro Championship tourney.

But if it did it would be Finnish Football pandemonium,heck I would probably jump on that train (as long as they were in a different group than the USA or Ireland).

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Wow!!!

What a huge, GIGANTIC WIN! Who would guessed that Deputy Dubnyk was a dirty thief!? He stole this one and he led the pack. But in the end the whole team was able to give all they got. I mean, You play back to back games against very skilled and physical teams, one of the bests in the NHL. First, a devastating loss despite a good game. Then you're out of gas and going to face another monster. And you're still able to walk out with the 2-goal win, the most dangerous victory in hockey! :sarcasm:

This victory was a huge thing. Did you see Koivu's reaction after the Nino's goal? He almost crushed his linemates to death when hugging them!! That was priceless.

Very happy now!

:yo::handclap:

Last edited:

Sharppi

4 more years of Dub.
Jul 15, 2011
Finland
But if it did it would be Finnish Football pandemonium,heck I would probably jump on that train (as long as they were in a different group than the USA or Ireland).

I agree, it would be huge. But it won't happen. It just won't. We just simply don't have the talent and the whole football association of Finland is rotten. From the head coach to the top, the organization is rotten. Attitudes suck ass so badly. There is no actual will to win or develop anything.

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
The bottom line is that it is boorish and makes us look like egomaniacs.

I think you're making a bigger deal out of this than it is meant to be.

It is only meant to show the degree of state pride and enthusiasm and love that Minnesotans have for hockey.

I've been all over this country and, IMO, there is no other state that compares, especially when you factor in just how much of a lifestyle it is for so many in Minnesota, of both sexes and all ages.

Massachusetts and Michigan and Illinois are not on the same level, especially considering the population difference between those states and the percentage of people who participate in hockey in one form or another.

And it's a marketing slogan. Is Budweiser really the freakin king of beers? Come on man.

And that game was brutal! Dubs with the serious crime there, damn.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
watched it on DVR...woah. That third period was a completely different game than the first two. Don't know if the Blues suddenly got tired breaking themselves on Dubnyk's forcefield and the Wild just looked faster or the Wild somehow found their legs. but dayuuuuummmm! Vanek was just frustrating to watch, but the results are always there somehow. That line is the misfit line, but it somehow seems to work. Nino looks a lot more assertive now playing top six, which is great heading into the playoffs. Dubnyk. jesus. that guy.

5 D again, too. Dumba is the thrill ride i expected. Big mistakes, big plays. That hit on Tarasenko was friggin great. loved how he was irritating them all night, particularly Backes (who should have got a penalty) and Oshie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad