GDT: Game 68: Columbus at Philadelphia | 3/13 7PM

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I had an opportunity to listen to a fair amount of the NHL network on Sirius radio this morning. Rob Stellick and Gord Simpson are the hosts. After listening to them and several of their guests, I believe that the Blue Jackets are exactly right back to the place they began this year in everybody's conscientiousness.

What I mean by that is the Blue Jackets got very little respect. All of the discussion was about Washington and Pittsburgh. As they looked ahead to playoff matchups, it was about the Capitals recent slump and how that was a good thing to make them work to win the Presidents trophy. It was about how red-hot the Penguins are as they prepare to defend their Stanley Cup. Zero mention of the Blue Jackets.

One guest specifically mentioned who teams would want to match up against. They mentioned about how nobody would want to match up against the Bruins since they have been playing so well since the coaching change. Same for Montreal - they are so tough since the coaching change. Toronto is sooooo hot. Watch out for the Inlanders - they are playing well too. Then he came to Columbus. The following quote went something like; "I know I'm going to make those couple Blue Jacket fans mad, but if I was any team that qualified for the playoffs, I would want to draw Columbus. I just don't think they are that good. Okay, maybe their goaltender is okay, but I can't see Cam Atkinson carrying them in the playoffs. I'm just not that impressed".

I didn't make me mad - because I don't care at all. This is going to get decided on the ice, not on the airwaves or in cyberspace, or some electronic forum.

Nobody has really taken a look at the defense this team has put together. Nobody realizes that this team has the ability to get into a 7 game series and only give up 1 or 2 a game, with the occasional shutout thrown in. Nobody realizes that a combination of Scott Hartnell, Boone Jenner, Josh Anderson and Brandon Dubinsky will take a toll over the course of a series. Nobody realizes that Bandon Saad, Cam Atkinson, Sam Gagner, and Oliver Bjorkstrand have some skill that make every line a threat to score.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter where the Blue Jackets finish. If they win the Metro, the comparisons to the Colorado fluke 2 years ago will be brought up. If they finish 3rd, it will be "okay Pittsburgh in 5". Nobody is giving this team any respect, in spite of 16 straight wins and everything else.

.......and this is all just fine with me. Could the CBJ get swept in 4? Sure. But based on everything I have seen, get ready for a lot of people to ask themselves the same questions they were asking themselves in early January. "How are these guys doing this?"

I hope we cream all those punks.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I had an opportunity to listen to a fair amount of the NHL network on Sirius radio this morning. Rob Stellick and Gord Simpson are the hosts. After listening to them and several of their guests, I believe that the Blue Jackets are exactly right back to the place they began this year in everybody's conscientiousness.

What I mean by that is the Blue Jackets got very little respect. All of the discussion was about Washington and Pittsburgh. As they looked ahead to playoff matchups, it was about the Capitals recent slump and how that was a good thing to make them work to win the Presidents trophy. It was about how red-hot the Penguins are as they prepare to defend their Stanley Cup. Zero mention of the Blue Jackets.

One guest specifically mentioned who teams would want to match up against. They mentioned about how nobody would want to match up against the Bruins since they have been playing so well since the coaching change. Same for Montreal - they are so tough since the coaching change. Toronto is sooooo hot. Watch out for the Inlanders - they are playing well too. Then he came to Columbus. The following quote went something like; "I know I'm going to make those couple Blue Jacket fans mad, but if I was any team that qualified for the playoffs, I would want to draw Columbus. I just don't think they are that good. Okay, maybe their goaltender is okay, but I can't see Cam Atkinson carrying them in the playoffs. I'm just not that impressed".

I didn't make me mad - because I don't care at all. This is going to get decided on the ice, not on the airwaves or in cyberspace, or some electronic forum.

Nobody has really taken a look at the defense this team has put together. Nobody realizes that this team has the ability to get into a 7 game series and only give up 1 or 2 a game, with the occasional shutout thrown in. Nobody realizes that a combination of Scott Hartnell, Boone Jenner, Josh Anderson and Brandon Dubinsky will take a toll over the course of a series. Nobody realizes that Bandon Saad, Cam Atkinson, Sam Gagner, and Oliver Bjorkstrand have some skill that make every line a threat to score.

As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter where the Blue Jackets finish. If they win the Metro, the comparisons to the Colorado fluke 2 years ago will be brought up. If they finish 3rd, it will be "okay Pittsburgh in 5". Nobody is giving this team any respect, in spite of 16 straight wins and everything else.

.......and this is all just fine with me. Could the CBJ get swept in 4? Sure. But based on everything I have seen, get ready for a lot of people to ask themselves the same questions they were asking themselves in early January. "How are these guys doing this?"

Well said, couldn't agree more. The play reveals everything.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Old Guy, I would rather the team get no respect. Not that pros should need more motivation, but in this case it can help.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Glad we got the W last night.

Is it me, or has Wennberg been nearly invisible at 5v5 lately? Going to need him at the top of his game down the home stretch and into the playoffs.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio

Hope Torts can get a transcript of that broadcast, or maybe an audio recording, and play it on a loop during practices.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh

Good post. I think it's just a matter of our guys came from so out of nowhere that they don't get how it's happening. We haven't been around long enough at this level for them to know what to make of us so we're dismissed for the regulars. The quote that singles out Atkinson shows how little they know about this team. Like he's the only guy we have? Not even close. They've won 44 games out of 68. They're the only team that hasn't lost 3 straight games. That's an accident? That's unimpressive? We'll be a tough out and I'm basing that off of their record games in playoff-like games.

Also, I like going into the playoffs with an Ohio Against the WorldTM mentality. That suits this team so much better than being the favorites. It insures they'll be focused and intense.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Not everyone is totally oblivious. Last night, the guys on the NHL network, Weeks and Danyko, were very high on the Jackets, Cam, Bob, and the rest. Specifically, they thought the CBJ were set up for a very competitive playoff run, with good young players and solid vets. They stressed that the ice gets smaller in the playoffs and the game gets more physical. The Jackets were described as big, fast, skilled, and able to play whatever kind of game was called for. Nice post game interview with Cam, to boot!

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Glad we got the W last night.

Is it me, or has Wennberg been nearly invisible at 5v5 lately? Going to need him at the top of his game down the home stretch and into the playoffs.

I was at last nights game in Philly and I feel Wennberg was our worst player, he gets a little hesitant when there is some pressure and the game is super scrappy.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

I heard that interview. The guest was some Toronto guy named Michael Traikos. He also said "If I was Washington or Pittsburgh, I'd be licking my lips to play Columbus." He also said that he didn't see the Wild going anywhere either.

The host was kind of stunned.:laugh:

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I heard that interview. The guest was some Toronto guy named Michael Traikos. He also said "If I was Washington or Pittsburgh, I'd be licking my lips to play Columbus." He also said that he didn't see the Wild going anywhere either.

The host was kind of stunned.:laugh:

Well I was stunned also, but I wasn't mad or angry. It just pointed up that the Blue Jackets have a very unique opportunity in front of them. I really don't care where they finish in the Metro. I hope they finish 1st, but I really don't care.

I'm not saying they will, but this team is perfectly poised to run to the ECF, and everybody will be shocked if it happens. (almost everybody - at least if you are outside the 614)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad