GDT: Game 67: Columbus at Buffalo | 3/11 7PM

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Missed most of the game, but let me guess what happened... Played a strong first, then quit skating (poor compete level against lesser teams) + Korpi was shaky? When I started watching midway through the 3rd it looked like they were putting all sorts of pressure on the Sabres goalie but couldn't get one in. Cam shoulda had that one with about 30 seconds left.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Jackets played short 2 forwards all night. Tynan has no business playing in the NHL right now and Korpikoski is worthless.

How many weeks is Sedlak's day to day injury going to take to heal?

Tynan is terrible and not ready.

Another no-show is this Korpikoski. Didn't hear his name called once. Karlson gets a lot of love, seemingly for his defense I guess, but I don't think he's anything special.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I wasn't in the GDT but I'm not sure why you guys are complaining about the officiating. Every call seemed legit, from both teams, and aside from the blatantly missed high stick on JJ I don't think the refs did a bad job.

Like jack Johnson high sticked in face , cut , official watching , and no call , to Dubinsky jumped by 2 players and somehow getting called , to hartnell being jumped and gets the major , to phantom hold on foligno . Absolutely garbage

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Like jack Johnson high sticked in face , cut , official watching , and no call , to Dubinsky jumped by 2 players and somehow getting called , to hartnell being jumped and gets the major , to phantom hold on foligno . Absolutely garbage

I mentioned the Johnson call. Dubinsky call is one thats usually made. Hartnell and Foligno calls were right, IMO.

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
Can't blame the refs for that. The team got up 3-0 and thought they had it won. The Sabres had other ideas. This is the NHL, you have to fight for every point.
I hate it when they get up big too early. It's always motivation for the other team.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Bad reffing or not, this is 100% true.

I mentioned the Johnson call. Dubinsky call is one thats usually made. Hartnell and Foligno calls were right, IMO.
Dubi made a clean hit and Buffalo took exception. 2 guys jumped him including Gorges who was punching him as another Buffalo player pinned him down. Gorges got no penalty and should have been ejected for being a 2nd guy in.

Hartnell had words for a guy and next thing you know half the Buffalo team is surrounding him grabbing him by the face and throwing punches. How does he get 3 minor penalties and 10 guys only combine for 2?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Loss is a loss and we can't change that , but foligno seemed disgusted with officiating and referenced it , post game show pointed out multiple sketchy calls . Combine that with multiple injuries , and our back up goalie being shaky and we lose . I'm not one to usually ***** about officials , but when they let late hits go all night by buffalo and call touch calls on us , that complete Bs

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Some of the officiating takes in here are...amusing

I never understand why people visit other peoples GDT to lurk and come back to their own GDT's to say what they're saying, let alone comment in the GDT to stir the pot.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Fact is that Korpi simply didn't play up to par. Sure there was the ****** 2nd period and the reffing, but it's the sort of game Bob gives the team a much better chance to win.

I get it. Your pissed off that we gave up a 3 goal lead and you have to have your scapegoat so you feel better. Some picked the refs you and another picked Korp to throw under the bus. It's human nature.

Not remotely useful however and also not fair.

Last edited:

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Garbage game! And to me the third goal stands out where Eichel is able to stand in front of Korpi with Foligno between them doing nothing to Eichel but adding another screen for Corpi. That's just awful defending by Foligno. Buffalo deserved to win this one! Learn and move on.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
I get it. Your pissed off that we gave up a 3 goal lead and you have to have your scapegoat so you feel better. Some picked the refs you and another picked Korp to throw under the bus. It's human nature.

Not remotely useful however and also not fair.

The fact the team stopped skating for a period doesn't take away from the fact Korpisalo didn't play well. What is truly useless is pretending a key component of the team wasn't a problem because "well the skaters didn't play good either". They're not mutually exclusive concepts.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
These games happen.

When we sucked we beat some good teams like this. Roles are just reversed now with some of these teams. I remember leaving the arena after wins against good teams and their fans would be saying, "hey we are in the play-offs and you aren't", and they were right, so think of it that way. Sabres are playing for pride, and jobs.

Learn from this, then forget it and move on.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
It's been a long season.. very disappointed to see Ryan Murray break his hand.. that really sucks.. as for giving up 5 straight goals, schit happens ya know. We were on a really hot run, got up by 3 in the first.. and let the momentum swing the other way on the road. Not happy about that, but I'm sure Torts will deal with it

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Just saw the 4-3 goal, I think Bob would've made that save. Seemed like it was a technical problem with Korpi not getting over to the post properly. He definitely got there in time, but didn't cover the post like he should have.

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Joonas mentioned goals 1 and 3 in a the post game so I'll assume he knows he has to do better and likely will. Torts seemed more upset over goal 3 but both 1 and 3 came at the beginning and end of the period. Yeah Bob makes a couple of those saves and Korpisalo can too.

I think what is getting folks angry about the officials is the non-called high stick on JJ. It happened right in front of an referee and everyone else on the ice had a view. It drew blood. That is a double minor, 4 minutes of momentum swing that went uncalled. Other things, yeah stuff happens you just play through inconsistencies but c'mon.

Is there some rule or regulation that negates a high stick in certain situations?

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Wow............

Home and home against the Devils - two shutouts.

Home and home against the Sabers - Eight goals allowed

The Devils must feel like crap.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Joonas mentioned goals 1 and 3 in a the post game so I'll assume he knows he has to do better and likely will. Torts seemed more upset over goal 3 but both 1 and 3 came at the beginning and end of the period. Yeah Bob makes a couple of those saves and Korpisalo can too.

I think what is getting folks angry about the officials is the non-called high stick on JJ. It happened right in front of an referee and everyone else on the ice had a view. It drew blood. That is a double minor, 4 minutes of momentum swing that went uncalled. Other things, yeah stuff happens you just play through inconsistencies but c'mon.

Is there some rule or regulation that negates a high stick in certain situations
?
I think if you're shooting the puck it's not high sticking. Obviously he wasn't shooting but Johnson knocked him down. When he lost his balance he swung his stick. I think that's why there was no penalty. I also don't think he meant to swing his stick at his face.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I'm going to avoid reading the Game Day Thread for this one.. That type of game.. But, I'm actually bothered and still slightly upset at this loss

Thoughts..
1. Korpisalo isn't like Bobrovsky. Bob makes those stops, Korpi doesn't. I'm willing to bet Korpisalo doesn't get many playoff games.

2. Karlsson has been invisible in the stat sheet for quite a while now.. I'm actually not greatly concerned if the Las Vegas Knights want to pick him up in the Expansion Draft. He's played with more hustle/energy the last couple games, but little offense. Korpikoski is invisible again.

3. You just knew that Ryan Murray had broken his hand in blocking that shot.. Unfortunate for Ryan Murray, but I think this is where we need to be slightly thankful that we traded for Kyle Quincey these next 4 weeks or so.

4. I could have swore we became slightly snake bitten when Buffalo put Lehner in at goal.. There were a couple that left me thinking "how did that not go in"- Including Cam's shot the last minute.

5. Unfortunately, we are now 3rd in the Metro. Could Pittsburgh please lose a game?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad