GDT: Game 66: Dallas Stars(35-17-13) @ Seattle Kraken(37-22-6) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
I think this game showed that we are pretenders and not contenders at this point. We can (and should) still make the playoffs but you can expect an early exit.
Jones wasn't great but I don't blame him. The PK was horrible.
Still, to the above, I wouldn't re-sign Jones either but we do need to find another back up. Not sure I want to bet on Dreidger.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Got to be a little concerned. We are losing so many goals right after we score. Going to be a nervy finish to the season unless Burakovsky comes back and we just outscore everyone.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Got to be a little concerned. We are losing so many goals right after we score. Going to be a nervy finish to the season unless Burakovsky comes back and we just outscore everyone.
I wasn't confident that we would sail into the playoffs anyway. They have been too bipolar this season. Winning streaks followed by losing streaks. Don't have room for that in a tight West race.

What is the cause of this? Is it coaching? Players not playing the system and focused too much on scoring than team defense? Something needs to be done to fix some of this in the off-season because our roster next season is likely to be very similar to this season and we are not going to 'surprise' teams anymore.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
I wasn't confident that we would sail into the playoffs anyway. They have been too bipolar this season. Winning streaks followed by losing streaks. Don't have room for that in a tight West race.

What is the cause of this? Is it coaching? Players not playing the system and focused too much on scoring than team defense? Something needs to be done to fix some of this in the off-season because our roster next season is likely to be very similar to this season and we are not going to 'surprise' teams anymore.
It wouldn't be a Seattle team without some sort of heart attack/nervy situation but the decline in defence is worrying.

• Haha
Reactions: Kat Predator

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
It wouldn't be a Seattle team without some sort of heart attack/nervy situation but the decline in defence is worrying.
The PK taking a step back is also a concern, though I guess that would fall within the defensive decline parameters.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, I am curious what Francis does this off-season. At this point, I don't know if adding a UFA D-man makes that much of a difference since the main issue is consistency.

It keeps going back to coaching in mind.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
The PK taking a step back is also a concern, though I guess that would fall within the defensive decline parameters.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, I am curious what Francis does this off-season. At this point, I don't know if adding a UFA D-man makes that much of a difference since the main issue is consistency.

Sucks as well that as soon as Grubauer turned a corner form wise, Jones form fell off a cliff. Would have been nice to have goal tenders playing well if only to paper over the cracks.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

An interesting thing against Dallays was brought up by EmeraldCityHockey's Podcast.

The Stars actually brought in a forward to help them deal with our dump ins and we couldn't really cope with it that much.
We also lost the adjustment battle last night against the Stars and DeBoer again.

Overall I think we've got to be a bit realistic here.
It's still a team that everyone pointed and laughed at until the start of the season and everyone doubted to be in this position for at least the first half of the season.

We still have quite a few holes in this team and just played a team with a guy like Heiskanen at the backend.
As much as I like Dunn's progression or Larsson's solid play, there's just nothing like that on this team.
etc.

I think the biggest decision on defense will be what kind of a deal Francis is comfortable with handing to Dunn.
Is it a longterm high cap hit deal and he's going all in?
Or is it more of a bridge deal cause he's only had this one great season.

After that I doubt much happens on defense besides Megna becoming the 6th/7th defenseman and Ryker Evans deciding if we need to sign another guy or not.

Looking at free agency there just isn't much worth bringing in this summer, IMO.

BTW: Coaching certainly plays a role(and I don't mean just Hakstol) but I also think young guys coming in and improving the quality is at least as important.

Also, Beniers playing his second full year should help cause I think you can clearly see a rooking slump since about after the All-Star Game/Myers hit.

Reactions: Kat Predator

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
Dallas is a very good team that is playing well. We're just not that good. But we're much closer than we were 12 months ago.

Just getting in the playoffs will be an accomplishment for the team. We still have a good chance and some games against teams that are in tank mode.

As for next year, I really think we need to upgrade our goaltending. The offense, with its lights out shooting percentage, has compensated for some pretty suspect defense this year. Just not sure what GMRF will do there. :dunno:

Kevinsane

Kraken up.
Apr 11, 2022
Dawson Creek, BC
Dallas is a very good team that is playing well. We're just not that good. But we're much closer than we were 12 months ago.

Just getting in the playoffs will be an accomplishment for the team. We still have a good chance and some games against teams that are in tank mode.

As for next year, I really think we need to upgrade our goaltending. The offense, with its lights out shooting percentage, has compensated for some pretty suspect defense this year. Just not sure what GMRF will do there. :dunno:
Agreed. Martin Jones had a Hamburglar-esque run, but his numbers have been pretty bad for several seasons.
Grubauer could be an anchor contract the team may not be able to move.
Driedger is a wild card. If he can come back from injury and regain his form it at least gives the Kraken options.
They need change. Grubauer/Jones as a tandem is too unreliable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad