Pre-Game Talk: GAME 66 3/29 7:08 PM - After 889 days Carlton The Bear visits Boston - NESN, ESPN+, SNO, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
Top line vs top line tonight will be unstoppable force vs immovable object. The current incarnation of the Bergeron line is the best line in hockey by xG% for lines that have played 100+ minutes at 71.3%. Bunting-Matthews-Marner isn't far behind, though, at 66.4%. I think Matthews is hockey's best player right now so I'm excited to see if Boston's top line can shut him down. Very excited for this game. Staple Bergeron and 27/73 to Matthews and let the rest of the leafs forward group try their luck.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Are we gonna go round and round on this? I don't think that statement holds up to any quantitative scrutiny. I'd love to hear if it does. If it's just an opinion, ok cool. I just disagree. My guess is the argument is "hedman has more points." Everything quantitative has Charlie top 5 including Dom's model, EH's model and top down's percentile model. His microstats are ELITE and his 5v5 impact is legitimately the best in the league. Same for his PK impact. Given that Hedman and Josi are both having resurgent years, I don't think calling Charlie elite with Makar and Fox was such a crazy thing to say in October. All he's done is actually be better this year.

I already addressed this in post #96.

Yes, it is an opinion. Yes, we disagree.

No, it's not about points. It's about what I have seen.

Nor do I think it was a crazy thing to say in October. Just that up to this point of the season he has not been one of the 10 best defensemen in the league.

He has not been better this year.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I already addressed this in post #96.

Yes, it is an opinion. Yes, we disagree.

No, it's not about points. It's about what I have seen.

Nor do I think it was a crazy thing to say in October. Just that up to this point of the season he has not been one of the 10 best defensemen in the league.

He has not been better this year.

Cool. Well the literally millions of data points tracked in the NHL disagree with your opinion, but you're welcome to it.

Reactions: jahbrations

CAW1313

Mar 27, 2021
Macomb, MI
I envy all of you that are going to the game tonight, I see all the talk on here and it get's me jealous they I can't go to the game. That being said, let me ask... Who's going to the game next Tuesday here in Detroit? I am!! LOL!! Let's go Bruins beat the Leafs tonight and let's go for another 5-1 win in Detroit like we did on Jan 2nd. My father in law is still mad that his beloved Wings were bitched slapped by the Bruins! Sorry, I'm talking about next Tuesday, I'm pumped to see the Bruins. Let's win tonight first.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Burn The Leafs

GoodRichAlaskanhusky-size_restricted.gif

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
So you'd put him top 3 over the others?

I still think Slavin is elite...but not top 3
I watched Carolina a few times on purpose just to watch Slavin.Slavin has problems with speed so If you are committed to skate you will cause him issues.Play slow he will cause you issues.No comparison with Chuckie in my eyes.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Slavin - takeaways/giveaways 63/34
Career 468/292

McAvoy - takeaways/giveaways 21/60
Career 130/270
Not really surprised. Has a longer reach than #73 and he surgically closes on forwards in the Canes zone and is good at stripping players of the puck. He is 4 years older and more experienced than #73 so
that is something #73 has no control of. Its pretty much a push right now between them. Lots of fans of USA Hockey were proposing
Slavin\McAvoy as the top US Olympic Team pairing.

Be interesting to see how physically Giordano plays tonight. Hopefully we get a hair on fire Rielly for the Leafs. Watching Tavares he has seemed to slow a little bit but still has the hands and IQ.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I watched Carolina a few times on purpose just to watch Slavin.Slavin has problems with speed so If you are committed to skate you will cause him issues.Play slow he will cause you issues.No comparison with Chuckie in my eyes.
I watch the Canes all the time and I have not seen him have problems with speed anymore than #73. In fact Slavin is well known to defend as well as any D man on McDavid, granted its small sample size but its been noticed and talked about.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
So you'd put him top 3 over the others?

I still think Slavin is elite...but not top 3
My point is there are a group of about 9 DMen, not including Makar or Hedman that if you subbed them out in #73 spot you would get the
about the same level if play.

You just saw the difference in takeaways\giveaways with #73 and Slavin. That's a huge advantage to Slavin and he takes fewer penalties than #73. Now like I said Slavin is at his peak the next 5-6
years and #73 has 9-10 so I am not in any way advocating a trade just pointing out there us little difference between the top 11 dmen.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
I watch the Canes all the time and I have not seen him have problems with speed anymore than #73. In fact Slavin is well known to defend as well as any D man on McDavid, granted its small sample size but its been noticed and talked about.
Well I saw it a few times .Leafs exposed him .Anyways I take McAvoy over him anyday but that's just me your allowed your take.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad