GDT: Game 65: Vancouver Canucks vs Montreal Canadiens 2/25/20 7:00pm EST SNP, TSN2, TSN 690

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binary Code

How do I change that
Aug 22, 2013
Delirium
Nah... I want to make some moves to go all in for the short term but not drastically trade futures. It's possible. Using Domi and our 1st (6-10 range maybe) is certainly a package that could return Getzlaf and Lindholm. Honestly, I see good talent from 6-10 but stars or better than what we already have? Doubt that.

If I was GM, I would make moves to improve the team in the short span (Weber window) and then after that, we go with the youth. Trading Domi and our 1st is something I would consider if I felt our team was a contender in the next few years.

Yikes.

Reactions: Gravity

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I know how it sounds. This all fits the cap... is this a cup contender next year? Yes or no? If you say no, then you have a valid point. But I feel this roster can compete and isn't that the point? Why you so desperate to go with youth and a rebuild that can also disappoint you? That's weird to me. I'm a outside the box thinker and not the type to jump on bandwagon parties. I'd certainly engage if that move was available. Making moves for the short term (Weber window) to try to win but not digging too deep in our futures is what I would do as GM. If the moves don't work, we still have lots of assets to sell for more futures. Why not try it?

H6X8ErT.jpg

Last edited:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I know how it sounds. This all fits the cap... is this a cup contender next year? Yes or no? If you say no, then you have a valid point. But I feel this roster can compete and isn't that the point? Why you so desperate to go with youth and a rebuild that can also disappoint you? That's weird to me. I'm a outside the box thinker and not the type to jump on bandwagon parties. I'd certainly engage if that move was available. Making moves for the short term (Weber window) to try to win but not digging too deep in our futures is what I would do as GM. If the moves don't work, we still have lots of assets to sell for more futures. Why not try it?

H6X8ErT.jpg

You don't think outside the box if you follow Bergevin's train of thought. Unless you meant the box that is Habs forum on HFBoards. (My guess)

I prefer we build the team, for real, for the first time in decades, instead of constantly patching with random players from everywhere. I know it's a guess to try to build a team with young players, but at least you try to really build a team from inside. There's some merit.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

H6X8ErT.jpg

This lineup could potentially contend. Have to see it on the ice, regardless of how it looks on paper.

But, my reservations:
1) I'd rather Caufield and Fleury - and maybe Romanov - in Laval, not in the NHL next year. Maybe Evans takes Caufield's spot at RW in the top 9 and we get a cheap 4c to stay under the cap...
2) A real long shot to get Taylor Hall to come here - and he's the main addition that would make this lineup a contender.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

H6X8ErT.jpg
Nice.....maybe I missed a previous post.....how you acquire everyone?

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I don't know why but I have a renewed interest in the outcome of the next few games. Habs are in a strange position, not really out of it yet; only a few favorable results in out of town games and we could be damn close by the end. but lose tonight in embarrassing fashion and I'll come to my senses.

GO:habsGO

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What is it going to change since Bergevin is still at the helm of this sinking ship and doesn't know how to properly draft?
He doesn’t draft, Churla and co. do.....

The worst we do, the better chance we get at drafting one of Lafreniere, Byfield or Stutzle, drafting savvy is not required here.....look, I know jack shit about drafting and I can make that selection :D

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
This lineup could potentially contend. Have to see it on the ice, regardless of how it looks on paper.

But, my reservations:
1) I'd rather Caufield and Fleury - and maybe Romanov - in Laval, not in the NHL next year. Maybe Evans takes Caufield's spot at RW in the top 9 and we get a cheap 4c to stay under the cap...
2) A real long shot to get Taylor Hall to come here - and he's the main addition that would make this lineup a contender.
If Getzlaf wasn't over the hill, he could be a great addition, I fear he's finished.

2019-20Anaheim DucksNHL6012263841-17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice.....maybe I missed a previous post.....how you acquire everyone?

It will be a shit show but here we go... lol. It's a dream big idea for the short span with the Weber window. You might not like it but I'm using Domi and our 1st (6-10 range) if we don't win the top 3 lottery spots. Why? Cause I think there is talent in that range but no star.

Not likely to happen but there are things we can try if the circumstance is right. Another idea is KK and our 1st for Kopitar. I'm not desperate to trade our futures but staying in the middle is dumb. Go up or down is the narrative and this post is options we can explore to go up

Posted this on the main board and Ducks fans didn't flip out. However, they said they are not interested in selling. What does their GM and owner think? :dunno:

Getzlaf has one year left in term and Lindholm has 2. I think the value is there for the Ducks... maybe too much value on our side?

rE2viIV.jpg

I personally would engage in what it takes to get pieces like Getzlaf /Kopitar and Girard / Lindholm. And yes, I would possibly trade KK, our 1st, and Domi as the main pieces.

Reactions: jaffy27

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If Getzlaf wasn't over the hill, he could be a great addition, I fear he's finished.

2019-20Anaheim DucksNHL6012263841-17
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

He's playing on a crappy team. Certainly not the guy he was in his 20's but he still got game and is a beast at center. I feel he still got gas left in the tank. Regardless, here is another idea... KK and our 1st (6-10 range) for Kopitar. And then try to flip Domi and Mete for Girard and Jost

We need the right circumstance and both the Ducks and Kings might have the pieces we need. Avs Deep at LD and with Byram coming, I can see them doing a Domi+ for Girard+ swap.

Fans need to chill... These are just options and talking out loud in terms of what we can do in the short span to make our team a contender.

Hall / Getzlaf or Kopitar / Caufield
Drouin / Suzuki / Kovalchuk
Tatar / Danault / Gallagher
Lehkonen / Evans / Armia

Girard or Lindholm / Weber
Chiarot / Petry
Romanov / Fleury

Price
Crawford

Pieces on the table to get the red assets are our 1st (6-10 range), Domi, KK, Mete, 2nd round picks+, Grade B's like Ylonen, Hillis, Fonstad, etc.

Would you do it? Guessing most will say those moves are not available or they say no cause they want a rebuild?

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
It will be a shit show but here we go... lol. It's a dream big idea for the short span with the Weber window. You might not like it but I'm using Domi and our 1st (6-10 range) if we don't win the top 3 lottery spots. Why? Cause I think there is talent in that range but no star.

Not likely to happen but there are things we can try if the circumstance is right. Another idea is KK and our 1st for Kopitar. I'm not desperate to trade our futures but staying in the middle is dumb. Go up or down is the narrative and this post is options we can explore to go up

Posted this on the main board and Ducks fans didn't flip out. However, they said they are not interested in selling. What does their GM and owner think? :dunno:

Getzlaf has one year left in term and Lindholm has 2. I think the value is there for the Ducks... maybe too much value on our side?

rE2viIV.jpg

I personally would engage in what it takes to get pieces like Getzlaf /Kopitar and Girard / Lindholm. And yes, I would possibly trade KK, our 1st, and Domi as the main pieces.

I'm kind of curious why so many of you love lindholm so much?? guy is an average 25 pts defenseman who isn't the greatest at rushing up with the puck. He is good defensively which reminds me a lot of Jonas Brodin. Truth is we need an offesive puck moving D to play with Weber since he can't skate with the puck to save his life.
With the assets you are willing to give up, trust me, we can get WAY better than a finished Getzlaf and defensive D such as Lindholm.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Looking forward to a long overdue eye test of Petterson and Hughes.

Canucks are really playing well recently. We'll see if we can still be the better team. We need Drouin to get right. Not sure how long that will take though.

Reactions: habergeon

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm kind of curious why so many of you love lindholm so much?? guy is an average 25 pts defenseman who isn't the greatest at rushing up with the puck. He is good defensively which reminds me a lot of Jonas Brodin. Truth is we need an offesive puck moving D to play with Weber since he can't skate with the puck to save his life.
With the assets you are willing to give up, trust me, we can get WAY better than a finished Getzlaf and defensive D such as Lindholm.

Cause he is a good fit with Weber and I look beyond points. Girard is another option. Honestly, I think we have two issues with our current roster... puck moving from the back end and puck moving from puck possession centers.

You know why we can't hold leads? Cause our forwards can sustain pressure down low and when in our own zone, they loose puck battles where it's turned over and the puck stays in our own end where it puts pressure on our D over the long haul.

Reactions: jaffy27

No ReGretzkys

May 8, 2018
Take a look at Hughes tonight... That is what we need on LD

Sad but true story is that we could have had him.... but we drafted for needs (C) BIG mistake...and lots of you kept saying he was too small and couldn't play defense :facepalm:

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
Is Price in again for a 10th game in a row? Will he play the last 18 games too?

That would be 28 games in a row. Next back to back games are the 31th March and 1st of April. Which he might play both of them too if we are still in a race.

Jul 6, 2016
Take a look at Hughes tonight... That is what we need on LD

Sad but true story is that we could have had him.... but we drafted for needs (C) BIG mistake...and lots of you kept saying he was too small and couldn't play defense :facepalm:

They took KK.....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You don't think outside the box if you follow Bergevin's train of thought. Unless you meant the box that is Habs forum on HFBoards. (My guess)

I prefer we build the team, for real, for the first time in decades, instead of constantly patching with random players from everywhere. I know it's a guess to try to build a team with young players, but at least you try to really build a team from inside. There's some merit.

We can do both IMO if the circumstance is there for us to take advantage (Ducks or Kings rebuilding). We can try to win now in the short window (2 or 3 years) by using some assets and if that don't work, you go with futures after that and we would still have a solid foundation of futures even after trading KK, 2020 1st, Domi.

If Kopitar is available and they say yes to KK and our 1st (6-10 range), I engage for sure. I ask for Alzner to be involved and for some retention on Kopitar. I'd be willing to give them a 2nd and a Grade B to sweeten it. But if we are trading valuable futures for a 4 year contract from age 33-36, they need to help us with our cap or we hang up the phone. Pretty sure they would not have a big problem cause they need to get to the cap floor anyways.

A move like that can set a domino of moves to follow... Domi+ for Girard+ and we sign Hall, Kovalchuk, Crawford. This is what fans want to see from Bergevin right? Choose a direction right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad