GDT: Game 65: Avs @ Wild | Tuesday, March 1st, 6pm MT |18 and Counting part 2...yes part 2

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
ive been coming to these boards for a long time. I think I've actually finally hit the point where I can't take it anymore. The level of negativity in here is disgusting. News flash guys: this team is exactly what we thought they would be: a bubble team.

This board is an absolute laughing stock. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. i know I'm not a main clique member on here and will not be missed in the slightest amount, but it saddens me how bi-polar you guys are.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Another thing. This core of Duchene, EJ, Varly has been together for what.. Five years now?? We still play garbage hockey, we still struggle to be anything other than a team that just counter attacks and hopes Varly goes hero mode again. When do we admit that this just isn't working?? Is limping into the eighth spot after buying three players success??

If this year doesn't work out, we should consider moving in some of our current core for young assets. I don't necessarily mean picks, there are attractive young players to be had at good prices, such as Drouin or perhaps Ryan Murray.

it makes me wonder if 2014 was a pyhrric victory for Colorado. They won the battle and decided that they had the players and personnel to win the war.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
ive been coming to these boards for a long time. I think I've actually finally hit the point where I can't take it anymore. The level of negativity in here is disgusting. News flash guys: this team is exactly what we thought they would be: a bubble team.

This board is an absolute laughing stock. I mean that from the bottom of my heart. i know I'm not a main clique member on here and will not be missed in the slightest amount, but it saddens me how bi-polar you guys are.
That was probably the biggest game of the year. It shouldn't be surprising that there's some angry people. The thing is they didn't play that bad, just made dumb mistakes and it cost them.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Before you blow up your core you try a new voice to lead them. If I'm Sakic, I'd be taking a serious and lucrative run at a guy like John Stevens if this team doesn't make the postseason.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Probably going to push 1400 posts in a single GDT-combo. That's gotta be a record outside of the playoff right?

A few drinks+ in, I just really hope they show up coming up on Tuesday. If we can't win vs Minny lets make the playoffs either way, and just hope Chicago/whoever beats them. Basicly win out and you have a shot. Time for a real run right :dunno:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It looks like the Avs just decided at the deadline that they had to upgrade the offense because defense was too expensive/not there yet. But for that to work, they have to score like Dallas to win games. Not being able to score more than 3 goals a game for most of the year is very concerning, and failing to do so tonight with added firepower when we needed it is even worse.

As for Varley, I still think he can lead us to a cup someday, but damn is he in a career slump right now. He's one of the best breakaway goaltenders in the league and he let in two soft ones (for him anyway). He does not look sharp lately.

Finally, **** the ****ing Wild, guys. Just **** em.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Trouble is Roy probably thinks Holden is really a top 4 d man

SuperJoe

Feb 24, 2010
Royal City
**** I hate losing to the Wilds, now they have a cupcake schedule for five out of the next six. I feel we will wake up in two weeks and be 6 points behind. Not a bad game by all accounts, but being close is only good with horseshoe and grenades, they just can't come up big in important games. Oh well another two three years, the ten years rebuild is going according to plan

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
For as bad as Gelinas was, nothing that he did wrong cannot be fixed. I remember when Tyler Myers decision making was so bad he looked like a number seven defender. With time it is possible Gelinas can learn to think the game at a higher level. It may even come overnight, look at Adam Larsson's development

Difference is these players have talent that just need time to develop. Gelinas is hot garbage.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

As TMV already said...they just lost one of the if not the most important game they've had all year. And they didn't lose because they just didn't show up. They lost because of stupid mental errors and mistakes that have characterized this team for several years now.

Tell me this team looks any better now than they did three years ago. Tell me Duchene, Landeskog, EJ, etc., look better now than they did three years ago. I don't see how anyone can reasonably say that yes, the individuals (aside from someone such as Barrie) and the team as a whole do look better, and that is a massive cause for concern. I've been saying patience for two more years to see what we fully have, but at the same time, we have to see progression in our core. We have to. If we don't, there is a serious issue. The bottom line is the team today, under Roy, does not look better than the team we had three years ago under Roy, despite the myriad of changes that have occurred. You can blame whoever you want, but whatever the reason is, people have a right to be concerned and angry about that fact.

Let me put this another way: if several members of our core look the same now as they did three years ago, and the team now looks the same as they did three years ago...what reason do we have to believe this team can compete for a cup in a few years? We've seen stagnation in key members of this club for a long enough period of time now that it is something that needs to be discussed. SEPH already made a point similar to that. (and incidentally, if what several top insiders were saying was true about Duchene and Varlamov's names being out there earlier in the year, it appears our management might have noticed that same fact, even if I don't fully / really agree with that). Are we going to rely on Bigras / Zadorov / Rantanen to be the difference between three years ago, now, and the future, and carry this team there?

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I just wanted Matthews so at least they'd have something to upgrade the defense with. They could trade one of Duchene, MacKinnon or Landeskog next year and get a good top 4 d man.

This team is headed to another mediocre season and another middle of the pack draft pick and is gonna remain a mediocre bubble team uness that blue line is completely upgraded

I'm just getting tired of mediocrity, this organization needs some big changes if they ever wanna become a winning team, and the way this roster is constructed and coached they're not going anywhere

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
All this Roy hate is absurd, it's not his fault that this team doesn't have one single clutch player on it. Roy was obviously good enough to get the team to respond after an atrocious 1st period, to the point where we outplayed Minnesota in the 2nd and 3rd period by a good chunk. We just couldn't finish as usual. When it mattered most our star players tucked their tails and their star player made a big play. This is a pretty constant happening around these parts. We've lost so many games, where all we needed was that one last big play, but our stars couldn't come up with it, but the other teams stars could.

Every single time we need one clutch goal, we can't get it. It's as simple as that, it has nothing to do with coaching. You can't coach being clutch. Minnesota needed a clutch play tonight to win and who made that play, Zach Parise. The Wild can count on him and Suter usually to make that kind of play. We don't have anyone who makes that play right.

Right now the issue isn't Roy, it's the players. We just don't have the right mix of players. It's really time after this year to start thinking about rebuilding the core of this team. Players like Varly, EJ, Landeskog, Duchene all need to be evaluated in the offseason. These 4 guys have been "core" players for at least 4-5 seasons, and they are just not getting the results. I'd say right now MacK and Barrie are the 2 least experienced "core" guys so you build around them. The other 4 need to be available.

I hate to say this, as Varly is probably my favorite player on the team, but his seat has to be awfully warm at the moment. Pickard continues to play well, and if Varly can't figure his **** out down the stretch he needs to be shown the door, and traded for some nice pieces. Makes too much money to not get results.

Duchene just can't produce when it matters most. Maybe it's time to move on.

EJ has taken 5 steps back this year, and needs to step up or ship out. We gave him a sweet deal, and basically he has packed it in since then, and that pisses me off.

Landeskog, he wears the C, but his team is not getting the results. This has been one of his worst seasons to date. The only time he shows up is when he is put with MacK. 15 goals in 61 games playing top 6 minutes and tons of PP time is absolutely inexcusable. I expect a heck of a lot more from the captain. Once again he has been captain for four seasons and his team isn't getting the results. Maybe that needs to be evaluated.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
The problem is that even though Holden is serviceable, he just isn't top 4 material on an NHL team. This mess could easily be fixed by bringing up Zads and Rants-(to help the winger depth). That's the frustrating bit I'm having trouble coming to grips with. Holden needs to be stuck on the third pairing without a doubt. I still honestly think Zads would be better and should replace him

Like the addition of boedker but I really don't like what I'm seeing with Gelinas. Gelinas seems like another Redmond, Hunwick, and Gormley addition that will soon be put on waivers.

I don't understand peoples anger with Duchene lol the guy set up a goal tonight. Mack has been far worse than him throughout the season...mack seems to only battle hard in the O-Zone

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Next game I think you've got to try Bigras with EJ and Beauchemin with Barrie. I don't know if Roy is ready to give Bigras that responsibility but Holden is very, very quickly playing his way off of this roster. Thank god for that since he's sucked for at least 2+ months now, I just hope next training camp both Bigras and Zadorov can establish themselves and Holden finds himself in the press box or, better yet, off the roster entirely. Just not playing well at all and it's definitely having an effect on Barrie's game, even if I don't think Barrie has played well himself lately.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So guys. What I miss? I see Bigras got his first thats good right?

I too, missed the game. I didn't read all 1300 posts but apparently Varly was awful, Skille made a costly mistake, Duchene wasn't clutch and Gelinas is the worst dman we've dressed since Greg Zanon.

Last edited:

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Damn. Still so disappointed. Skille god dammit... Such a disaster pass to make. Basically we gave Wild two points. Colorado played well last 40 minutes and losing really stinks.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
What's the excuse for not playing well during the first 20 minutes though? They didn't know it was an important game?

I have no idea. We made 3 huge mistakes and Wild scored all of them. Maybe they had even too much jump to keep scoring and forgot to play defense. It's weird. Wild was clearly the better team in first period. Colorado dominated second period and kinda lost the momentum after referees started taking role in this game. That kinda sucked.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
I have no idea. We made 3 huge mistakes and Wild scored all of them. Maybe they had even too much jump to keep scoring and forgot to play defense. It's weird. Wild was clearly the better team in first period. Colorado dominated second period and kinda lost the momentum after referees started taking role in this game. That kinda sucked.

What frustrates me is that they killed all of those penalties. That actually could and should have boosted them and even given them more momentum. Instead they don't get a single SOG in the first 8(?) minutes of that third.
If that second period, a couple new players to the line-up, a rookie goal doesn't inspire them enough to put in an effort for at least 40 minutes (first period aside) I don't know what could.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I hope it was mostly nerves from Gelinas last night. If he isn't better than this. Yikes.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
is exactly what we thought they would be: a bubble team.

I'm perfectly fine with that but they didn't act like that on Monday, that's the problem.

When they pretty much tell the team playoffs or else well I guess we and they better be ready for the consequences.

What's the excuse for not playing well during the first 20 minutes though? They didn't know it was an important game?

You should probably have watched the game if you want to draw grand conclusions. They played well the whole game. It wasn't the same old with the Wild just completely dominating the puck. Even if we didn't have a shot for some odd minutes in the third it wasn't just from getting run around in our zone, it was mostly from not getting shots through. But someone said it best earlier, it wasn't that they didn't try or didn't want it, it's the same mistakes costing them.

I saw a few of y'all missed me, thanks lol. I watched the game on a delay.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I'm perfectly fine with that but they didn't act like that on Monday, that's the problem.

When they pretty much tell the team playoffs or else well I guess we and they better be ready for the consequences.

How is managment improving the team a problem?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad