Post-Game Talk: Game 64: Capital Gains | Capitals @ Blackhawks | 2/28/2016 | 11:30 AM CDT | NBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Interesting, I have to disagree with this. I think the West is easier. And it is way easier.

LA's D is GARBAGE. Repeat garbage. They are playing Drew Daughty 31 min a night the last 6 games. We are coasting, taking games off in Feb (Minny etc) and they are burning the candle at both ends. They are NOT CLOSE to what they were. Kane has Quick's head mounted on his wall at home. They need some serious SERIOUS D help if they are going to make it to the WCF. they have 3 D that can play. that's it. I must assume they get help today on D. Verstteeg isn't the answer in LA.

I agree with Ana, but they can't score and we already showed we can out-will them.

Dal can't defend as the games tighten up. They need Hamuis to be in the picture. But yeah they took a step to MAKE the playoffs, winning rounds another issue. They have REALLY slowed down. no scared now.

Preds- Rinnie SUCKS. I know he had a good game against us.

STL I don't think will beat us in our lifetimes. I just thing David Backes could not lead them out of a wet paper bag, with power tools.

Really, the only team that would even bother me in the first round is Col. We are getting closer on their goalie but a 1-8 versus them, to me might feel like the hardest round. STL we would own.

If I could pick a team in Rd 1 it would be STL. We win that. easily

Then Dallas if they can win a wildcard round. I wouldn't mind them at all.

I think it will be Ana. They aren't as good as last year, and we are with more D depth, so yeah we can take that many hits again.

Wsh in finals. Can WSH actually do it and muster the leadership there. I think Williams is a monster add for them. And people talk about Wsh doesn't have that extra gear, well Kuznetsov is a PORCHE. That guy is elite and gives them BIG TIME balance. 2-2 in the 3rd and you are shutting down Ovi, well that guy can make a play and you lose. He walked Keith and hit the post. I think Wsh does have another gear this year, and a good coach. I woudn't mind them in the finals at all, I think experience will matter, but I hope it is Wsh. :popcorn:

That sounds too easy. Despite the current standings, I don't think our division has changed much when it comes to strengths and weaknesses. Your analysis is based on the easy part of the schedule. Let's remember that crunch time separates the men from the boys.

On paper, Hawks are just as good if not better than last season but obviously with all the new faces, it will take some gelling to put it all together. With just over a month to go it would be nice if Q established the lines and specialty teams now and went with them for most of the stretch drive. (yeah right)

Yes, Avs are always gonna be tough it seems, but any one of Blues, Preds, Wild, Ducks are not the pushovers that you suggest. None of those teams will go easily. Home ice against our own division would be quite helpful I reckon and Crawford will need to keep up his stellar play.

As for LA: I don't get to see them play much, but yeah, something is afoot when they go out and recruit a Justin Schultz at this juncture in the season. I reckon their destiny will be all about Doughty and Jonathon Quick once again.... what else is new.

In the East, it's difficult not to pick Caps but their PO record over the years isn't exactly frightening.... but then again, they didn't have Trotz behind the bench. I think that Rangers are the only other Eastern team that can compete with Caps.

If Hawks/Caps do meet in the finals, it will a great battle, from coaching on down.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
When you compare last years team to this years there needs to be one other factor considered. It looks to me like the west is even better then last year. LA is back. Anaheim after a slow start looks unbeatable right now. Dallas is a great team, the Blows are better then last year, the Preds have come on strong. Its a good discussion on this years and last years team and which is better but it looks like the road to even get to the finals is much harder.

I really think winning the division is more important this year compared to last. We don't want our road to be at St Louis, at Dallas, LA or Anaheim, then at Washington. These last 18 games and where we finish may be very important.
If we look at the Microcosm of the regular season:

Last year the Central average was 7.43 standing points above the league average. The Pacific was 5.86 under. The Atlantic was 1.25 under. The Metro was .13 under. The West was .79 over and the East was .69 under.

As it stands right now this year:
The Central is 3.05 over. The Pacific is 4.67 under. The Atlantic is .79 under. The Metro is 2.21 over. The west is .81 under. The east is .71 over.

The west is weaker thanks to a weak Pacific and the bottom of the Central dropping out (the Top 3 are the strongest outside of Washington). The Atlantic is right around average. The metro is slightly above average and buoyed by Washington.

The 'hawks are going to have a tough run. In all likelihood they will place 1-3; which means that in all likelihood they're either facing the weakest Central also-ran, or St. Louis (outside chance of Dallas) in the 1st round. In the 2nd round (of course, assuming they get there), they're either going to face Dallas (outside chance of St. Louis), or the weakest Central also-ran. Then the WCF against whomever comes out of the Pacific.

In the Pacific, It's going to be the 3 top Pacific teams vs. the stronger of the Central also-rans (again, in most likelihood). That team as it stands now is going to be much tougher competition than the rest of the Pacific. IMHO they will do some damage in the Pacific--if not winning a series then giving one of Anaheim, LA, or SJ a tough time.

I don't think the 'hawks position matters too much: They're going to have a very tough ride in the playoffs. IMHO no matter who comes out of the Central it will again be a question of what's better: Well-rested or Battle tested.

tdfxman

Jul 5, 2010
That sounds too easy. Despite the current standings, I don't think our division has changed much when it comes to strengths and weaknesses. Your analysis is based on the easy part of the schedule. Let's remember that crunch time separates the men from the boys.

On paper, Hawks are just as good if not better than last season but obviously with all the new faces, it will take some gelling to put it all together. With just over a month to go it would be nice if Q established the lines and specialty teams now and went with them for most of the stretch drive. (yeah right)

Yes, Avs are always gonna be tough it seems, but any one of Blues, Preds, Wild, Ducks are not the pushovers that you suggest. None of those teams will go easily. Home ice against our own division would be quite helpful I reckon and Crawford will need to keep up his stellar play.

As for LA: I don't get to see them play much, but yeah, something is afoot when they go out and recruit a Justin Schultz at this juncture in the season. I reckon their destiny will be all about Doughty and Jonathon Quick once again.... what else is new.

In the East, it's difficult not to pick Caps but their PO record over the years isn't exactly frightening.... but then again, they didn't have Trotz behind the bench. I think that Rangers are the only other Eastern team that can compete with Caps.

If Hawks/Caps do meet in the finals, it will a great battle, from coaching on down.

Never said easier. or pushovers I don't know know what the easy part of the schedule means. also, my point was the west isn't all it is cracked up to be. Thats it, each of those teams is beatable and I don't think the west is as big and bad.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
If we look at the Microcosm of the regular season:

Last year the Central average was 7.43 standing points above the league average. The Pacific was 5.86 under. The Atlantic was 1.25 under. The Metro was .13 under. The West was .79 over and the East was .69 under.

As it stands right now this year:
The Central is 3.05 over. The Pacific is 4.67 under. The Atlantic is .79 under. The Metro is 2.21 over. The west is .81 under. The east is .71 over.

The west is weaker thanks to a weak Pacific and the bottom of the Central dropping out (the Top 3 are the strongest outside of Washington). The Atlantic is right around average. The metro is slightly above average and buoyed by Washington.

The 'hawks are going to have a tough run. In all likelihood they will place 1-3; which means that in all likelihood they're either facing the weakest Central also-ran, or St. Louis (outside chance of Dallas) in the 1st round. In the 2nd round (of course, assuming they get there), they're either going to face Dallas (outside chance of St. Louis), or the weakest Central also-ran. Then the WCF against whomever comes out of the Pacific.

In the Pacific, It's going to be the 3 top Pacific teams vs. the stronger of the Central also-rans (again, in most likelihood). That team as it stands now is going to be much tougher competition than the rest of the Pacific. IMHO they will do some damage in the Pacific--if not winning a series then giving one of Anaheim, LA, or SJ a tough time.

I don't think the 'hawks position matters too much: They're going to have a very tough ride in the playoffs. IMHO no matter who comes out of the Central it will again be a question of what's better: Well-rested or Battle tested.

I agree its going to be tough no matter who we play, that's why I think home ice is more important this year compared to last. Beating all those teams without home ice is more of a mountain this year in my opinion. I am not in the "hey its the Hawks, come playoff time we will step it up and win no matter what" group. That thinking is a bit too cocky for my taste. Last year we had more veterans, this year we have a few more young guys to rely on (though that has changed quite a bit after the trades). The NHL has shown over the years a hot goalie can win any series, every year is different. I am taking nothing for granted and think we need any advantage we can get this season.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I agree its going to be tough no matter who we play, that's why I think home ice is more important this year compared to last. Beating all those teams without home ice is more of a mountain this year in my opinion. I am not in the "hey its the Hawks, come playoff time we will step it up and win no matter what" group. That thinking is a bit too cocky for my taste. Last year we had more veterans, this year we have a few more young guys to rely on (though that has changed quite a bit after the trades). The NHL has shown over the years a hot goalie can win any series, every year is different. I am taking nothing for granted and think we need any advantage we can get this season.

Currently we sit tops in the west with Dallas, St. Louis, LA and Anaheim next in line.
We're in a pretty good position .. the cavalry has almost all arrived .. the boys know how to play down the stretch and into the playoffs. There are no givens but again I like our chances against any team in the west and if we can just hold ground we may have home ice all the way through unless Washington is the final destination.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
Wow, one weekend away from the internet and a lot of things happened :laugh: I'm really happy with the Danault trade, I liked him, but Weise and Fleischmann give us some much needed depth scoring, especially since TT will be centering them. Sounds like Fleischmann had a good game, that's great and I really like Weise, think he'll be great for us. And while I do think we paid a little much for Ladd, I'm really happy with the acquisition, him and Eriksson are a cut above all other forwards on the market and who really cares about the future right now, the Hawks' window is wide open and we need to take advantage of that. Really hoping we get Vesey now though. And on a personal note it's great to see a german guy play for the Hawks :) If he ever plays that is :laugh:

Thrilled with the result against the Caps too, sounds like it was an even game with a slight edge to the Caps maybe and that makes me really hopeful, they've been head and shoulders above anyone else so far and they rarely slip up. To win against them even though we were without Hossa, Kruger and Weise and Ladd and Fleischmann had just gotten off the plane is quite the statement I'd say.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
Wow, one weekend away from the internet and a lot of things happened :laugh: I'm really happy with the Danault trade, I liked him, but Weise and Fleischmann give us some much needed depth scoring, especially since TT will be centering them. Sounds like Fleischmann had a good game, that's great and I really like Weise, think he'll be great for us. And while I do think we paid a little much for Ladd, I'm really happy with the acquisition, him and Eriksson are a cut above all other forwards on the market and who really cares about the future right now, the Hawks' window is wide open and we need to take advantage of that. Really hoping we get Vesey now though. And on a personal note it's great to see a german guy play for the Hawks :) If he ever plays that is :laugh:

Thrilled with the result against the Caps too, sounds like it was an even game with a slight edge to the Caps maybe and that makes me really hopeful, they've been head and shoulders above anyone else so far and they rarely slip up. To win against them even though we were without Hossa, Kruger and Weise and Ladd and Fleischmann had just gotten off the plane is quite the statement I'd say.

I was really pleased with Fleischmann and look forward to Weise joining us.

The only edge I give the Capitals was the first period, and they still did not win that period thanks to the Kane goal. All Hawks in the second, and I still give the Hawks the edge in the 3rd, as they protected a slim lead late. Great game from our Hawks! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad