GDT: Game 63: Sharks @ Flames 6:00pm NBCSCA

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Sure but Reimer's saves wouldn't have happened/mattered if not for the go ahead goal.

Boughner's system isn't pretty to watch but last night's game is the latest example that it helps bridge the talent gap this roster faces against top teams in the league.
plus all the blocked shots from the Sharks skaters. Sharks lead the NHL in blocks. So ita a TEAM concept. I know it's hard for some people to understand this. Plus Reimer was outstanding, but it was a TEAM win!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sure but Reimer's saves wouldn't have happened/mattered if not for the go ahead goal.

Boughner's system isn't pretty to watch but last night's game is the latest example that it helps bridge the talent gap this roster faces against top teams in the league.
Having one game like this and numerous others that don't work out like that doesn't signal to me good coaching. Players had a good night. Not much more to it.

Reactions: WSS11 and Bizz

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Having one game like this and numerous others that don't work out like that doesn't signal to me good coaching. Players had a good night. Not much more to it.
They're 3-0 against Calgary and have gotten points against Carolina (2x), Florida (2x) and Tampa. I'm not saying it's all Bob, Reimer deserves most of the credit, but there's no doubt this is a more effective system for this roster than he was running last year.

Reactions: 37 others

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Players are sometimes capable of tuning out a mediocre coach and playing the game their own way. They did it in games 5-7 in the 2019 playoffs against Vegas, especially in Game 7.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Players are sometimes capable of tuning out a mediocre coach and playing the game their own way. They did it in games 5-7 in the 2019 playoffs against Vegas, especially in Game 7.
FlakyFlusteredKudu-max-1mb.gif

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
They're 3-0 against Calgary and have gotten points against Carolina (2x), Florida (2x) and Tampa. I'm not saying it's all Bob, Reimer deserves most of the credit, but there's no doubt this is a more effective system for this roster than he was running last year.
Picking out spots here and there when all the other evidence points the other way is not a strong argument. Reimer is the biggest reason they've gotten the points they have. Coaching has helped in killing penalties but it isn't a coaching strategy to shell up for most games most of the time. Also, if we want to talk coaching as if it keeps them in games against better teams, you have to own it when they get their tails kicked too. You can't continue to say they succeed because of coaching but they fail because of talent. It doesn't work that way. In reality, it's talent when they win and talent when they lose. Boughner has made just as many coaching decisions that cost the team points as those that he's done that has salvaged some. He's not a net positive.

Reactions: Bizz

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Picking out spots here and there when all the other evidence points the other way is not a strong argument. Reimer is the biggest reason they've gotten the points they have. Coaching has helped in killing penalties but it isn't a coaching strategy to shell up for most games most of the time. Also, if we want to talk coaching as if it keeps them in games against better teams, you have to own it when they get their tails kicked too. You can't continue to say they succeed because of coaching but they fail because of talent. It doesn't work that way. In reality, it's talent when they win and talent when they lose. Boughner has made just as many coaching decisions that cost the team points as those that he's done that has salvaged some. He's not a net positive.
I don't disagree with your overall point here. Boughner isn't a net positive but he also isn't a net negative. That alone places him above most NHL coaches which is why I'm baffled by the constant criticism. Hockey is not a sport where coaching makes a significant impact but when it does make a significant impact it's usually a significant negative impact. Boughner is getting the results you should expect out of this roster which is more than I can say for previous Sharks coaches like TMac and PDB with the rosters they had. If the Sharks get better players and someone like Darryl Sutter or Jon Cooper somehow becomes available and is willing to coach in San Jose I'm all for replacing Bob. But if the plan is to fire Bob and take a random spin on the carousel of unemployed coaches I think you're far more likely to end up with somebody worse.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I don't disagree with your overall point here. Boughner isn't a net positive but he also isn't a net negative. That alone places him above most NHL coaches which is why I'm baffled by the constant criticism. Hockey is not a sport where coaching makes a significant impact but when it does make a significant impact it's usually a significant negative impact. Boughner is getting the results you should expect out of this roster which is more than I can say for previous Sharks coaches like TMac and PDB with the rosters they had. If the Sharks get better players and someone like Darryl Sutter or Jon Cooper somehow becomes available and is willing to coach in San Jose I'm all for replacing Bob. But if the plan is to fire Bob and take a random spin on the carousel of unemployed coaches I think you're far more likely to end up with somebody worse.
This is a completely reasonable take and I actually agree with it. But it’s hilarious when you come into a thread just to say something like the post that started this conversation in this thread.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

x1. 31 Jan loss was in regulation.

And I actually agree. Having Reimer instead of Jones is definitely a more effective "system".

Wait... So his system is more effective, but coaching doesn't make a significant impact. What are you actually trying to say?

Reactions: Alwalys

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Sharks outshot them 38-31.
Which is the reason they won the game, but it is flattering as they lost the possession battle handily as well as the scoring chance battle. If Markstrom didn't let in as many stinkers as he did they would have lost.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Which is the reason they won the game, but it is flattering as they lost the possession battle handily as well as the scoring chance battle. If Markstrom didn't let in as many stinkers as he did they would have lost.

The Flames seemed to win the individual battles and didn't get pushed around, but were inefficient at clearing the zone, which put a lot of quality (not just simple pad shots) chances on net.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
lol Markstrom didn't even get a fine for the spear and slash? wild, but unsurprising

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Boughner is getting the results you should expect out of this roster which is more than I can say for previous Sharks coaches like TMac and PDB with the rosters they had.
I guess my main question here would be, Do you think Boughner would get what you'd expect out of a better roster? Maybe he'd coach them differently than he's coaching this current roster, but then again, I don't think his current approach would look even adequate if it weren't for Reimer. And to me that's not a sustainable system, nor one that you want to integrate youngsters into. Not now, not in the NHL of 2022.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I guess my main question here would be, Do you think Boughner would get what you'd expect out of a better roster? Maybe he'd coach them differently than he's coaching this current roster, but then again, I don't think his current approach would look even adequate if it weren't for Reimer. And to me that's not a sustainable system, nor one that you want to integrate youngsters into. Not now, not in the NHL of 2022.
I don't think Boughner is ideologically committed to playing dump and chase hockey because that's not the system he was running last season or in Florida. Ultimately though it's impossible to answer the question until he's actually given a more talented roster which is years away. Also Reimer has been great but every other goalie the Sharks have used this season has been terrible so overall their goaltending has been about league average. It just hasn't actively torpedoed their chance to win the way Jones had been doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad