GDT: Game 63: Kings @ Avalanche - Dethroned - 7PM

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You're not going to win many games when guys like Makar, Toews, and Georgiev are each almost single-handedly responsible for a goal against. PP sucked and they had the usual breakdowns as well.

Long-term and playoffs are a different concern due to roster make up but for this single game? It's tough to overcome your best players making those type of mistakes, even if you don't play a bad game overall.

Reactions: shadow1

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Worst broadcast of the season for me by far. I can deal with some homerism but I had to mute that game last night. You'd think that the kings were the greatest team ever assembled by listening to those frikkin' jagoffs - win a playoff round, then get back to me.

Didn't these morons at bally sports go belly-up? I wonder why -> our broadcasts suck SO MUCH that we have to have a permanent score tracker at the bottom of the screen to try and keep people interested in other sports at the same time.

I also can't wait to see how the cherry-picking component of their game is going to hold-up over a 7-game playoff series. It worked last night and it might work against the loilers but they're going to get burned with that strat for sure at some point.

Bottom line - the officating was horrible but the Avs are not going to win when we are down a Top Line two-way forward like Landeskog if MacKinnon and Rantanen decide that they are just going to pack it in defensively like they have been for the past 7 to 10 days. I mean, I get it - both those guys have kept us in it at various times during this injury %&$^# season but they are going to have to make a better effort in their own zone more consistently. Last night was appauling.

That was not Byram's best game - defensively - he was pretty bad especially in the first half of the game.

I'm fine with giving Lars Eller another week or so to 'remove his head that appears to be firmly lodged into his ass' but he's going to have to get with the f***in' program, focus and make better decisions with the puck. He CANNOT lose a defensive zone faceoff to a WINGER like Arvidsson. That lead directly to the deflating goal that made it 4-2 right after we scored to make it a 1 goal game. Manson looked like shit too last year when we got him and it took him awhile to get going but Lars is going to have to focus on NOT MAKING STUPID mistakes moreso rather than trying to impress anyone offensively.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
How is Tampa maximizing their cup window by losing 2 key players and overpaying for less impact player? They got someone name Perbix on their top D pair. Tampa is going no where. Look at their d core
Pretty sure they are going to Toronto. Whether or not they move on from there is still a coin toss in my mind only because Toronto is in their own head. If I could remove psychology from the game, I'd say Toronto is the clear favorite, but we can't and I'm semi expecting another first round choke job allowing Tampa to get to the 2nd round before exiting this year.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You’re not getting top 6 (maybe even 9) players (Avs need a few) for under 2m without giving up many 1sts. Just not the reality of the situation.

Avs have 13m to build out the roster and resign Byram. Even if the Avs found 3 ERods, they likely couldn’t fill the roster.

This is why Tampa trades look weird. Cmac needs to grab his nuts and get over the Price shock, as do many here. You want a youngish effective player that is cost controlled and a known commodity on the ice? Even a #4d or a 3rd liner, get ready to pay for other teams to do your work for you.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is why Tampa trades look weird. Cmac needs to grab his nuts and get over the Price shock, as do many here. You want a youngish effective player that is cost controlled and a known commodity on the ice? Even a #4d or a 3rd liner, get ready to pay for other teams to do your work for you.
Yup... they've bought their excess contract value for years now. It clearly works, but there is sticker shock for sure. If they lock up Jeannot for the rumored 6 years in the low to mid 2s, they'll have done it again. They are running out of capital and the core is aging out, so they likely won't net another Cup... but they are doing what they can to hold on to whatever window they can.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yup... they've bought their excess contract value for years now. It clearly works, but there is sticker shock for sure. If they lock up Jeannot for the rumored 6 years in the low to mid 2s, they'll have done it again. They are running out of capital and the core is aging out, so they likely won't net another Cup... but they are doing what they can to hold on to whatever window they can.

Yeah, it's the only way we're going to afford quality depth and build a complete team. We don't have anymore cheap scoring depth, and the ones we do have coming are limited.

If we had both Compher and Hayes right now the entire roster would be better slotted. Fatigue would be less of an issue too.

Fk, even JVR would help right now. That was weird no one even offered a late pick.

I guess maybe Kovy is a serious need now lol. If the dude can be a 3rd liner on an ELC Cmac needs to roll out the red carpet immediately.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Man, I had the best seats in the house for this one, too. I literally sat two rows behind the TV cameras on club level, it was a little bit surreal to see the game live and have the jumbotron show the same angle that I was seeing. Shame they couldn't have put in a better effort.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Man, I had the best seats in the house for this one, too. I literally sat two rows behind the TV cameras on club level, it was a little bit surreal to see the game live and have the jumbotron show the same angle that I was seeing. Shame they couldn't have put in a better effort.

You just don't know what you're going to get right now unfortunately. I never write off other times, but I'm writing off the Avs a lot more often..

It's really killing it, I was kinda hoping their confidence and experience would be more apparent this year, and I wouldn't be looking at the schedule penciling in losses.

This was an unexpected one.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad