GDT: Game 62: Columbus vs. Minnesota 3/2 7PM

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
You know while we were waiting for the officials to announce the decision on the OT no-goal and the entire crowd was booing my wife and I were saying to each other "just give it to them...call it a goal...please!!!" Seriously everyone was nice.

The arena is nice. The Metro was quick and efficient for getting to and from the game.

The opening operations were awesome. They have one of those projectors where they can project video on to the ice surface...pretty sweet. After some historic highlights on the ice, they started showing polaroids of fans all over the world showing off their Habs gear (in front of the Eiffel Tower, in front of the Sphinx, etc). They showed them drifting down and dropping off the video boards on to the ice surface. After doing this and having like a hundred virtual polaroids on the ice, they mixed them all up and they formed the Habs logo on the ice. Very nicely done.

Then they did a really nice intro with highlights for all the players (each one gets an individual showcase). Really gets the crowd pumped...hell I was pumped and they were the opponents.

As you can tell I was impressed.

Everyone speaks English, Enjoyed some Poutine (fries with gravy) and some good microbrews in Vieux Port (historic old town) and other than the Metro to the game and back which was easy-peasy we walked everywhere. Went to a rock concert at a local cabaret the next night which was really good. We stayed in Vieux Port.
Damn, sounds like a good time. I've been wanting to make the trip for a few seasons now.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Can we just talk about Wennberg for a second. We were all so frustrated about his faceoff abilities and they mentioned something in the post game about Wennberg's improved faceoff numbers... Well....

Tonight 50%
MTL-65%(with 23 minutes TOI!!)
February
NYR-63%
NYI-25%
NSH-48%
Pitt-64%
Tor-38%
NYR-60%
Det-37%
Van-61%
Det-45%
NJ-44%
Pitt-43%

For an average of 49.4 since the start of February. With his numbers trending in the right direction, I can only assume he's gaining some confidence in the circle.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Bob, Korpi and Defense have only allowed 3 goals in last four games. One of those goals against was an OT 4on3 skills competition goal and one of the others was in the last second of 5-1 blowout. :amazed:

More impressive was all four teams played are currently playoff teams with two being divisional leaders. :handclap:

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Boudreau has always been a whiner. Nothing to see there. Move along.

Good game, overall. New guys played well. Wennberg was fantastic. He played big time last night. That faceoff win at the end shows me how much his game has improved. He made a bad icing play forcing him to stay on the ice in his own zone and comes up with the big faceoff win. He also played the most physical game I've seen in a long time. Kudos to the kid coming of age this year.

Gagner continues to play well. At this point, I'd have a hard time putting Sedlak in at Center with how well Gagner has played there.

vertigo1061

Jan 10, 2016
Can we just talk about Wennberg for a second. We were all so frustrated about his faceoff abilities and they mentioned something in the post game about Wennberg's improved faceoff numbers... Well....

Tonight 50%
MTL-65%(with 23 minutes TOI!!)
February
NYR-63%
NYI-25%
NSH-48%
Pitt-64%
Tor-38%
NYR-60%
Det-37%
Van-61%
Det-45%
NJ-44%
Pitt-43%

For an average of 49.4 since the start of February. With his numbers trending in the right direction, I can only assume he's gaining some confidence in the circle.

I don't know if anybody has noticed, but he's taking a lot more of his draws the same way Duby does on his backhand. I wonder if they've been working together on it.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't know if anybody has noticed, but he's taking a lot more of his draws the same way Duby does on his backhand. I wonder if they've been working together on it.

I have noticed that he has adopted the overhand pull draw & I think for the slighter faster handed guys this gives them the torq to be able to pull the puck back without being overpowered

Loved the game last night.. I like a lot of scoring generally, but it is great to see us get two back to back games and grind it out for the win.

The call was bad.. I never knew the kicking motion rule also applies to own team goals - certainly have seen many goals on deflections of a defenders skate. Bruce Budda will get a lot of bad attention for that tirade.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I'm posting to myself tonight but that's ok, one more amazing stat...

The CBJ have taken 3 points in two games scoring one goal!!!!!!

:laugh: Match that...

I'll be an interloper on the post to yourself :laugh: ...in the last two games, the D has played very well and Bob has stood on his head. All of this has been up too intense playoff standards. As you said, three points on a single goal.... that's getting the most possible out of one goal.

Of course, Not scoring is no way to advance in the playoffs. Too many of the teams are not going to put an egg on the scoreboard. So that we have to fix....and soon. That said I was the one who believed we should make a hasty deadline trade that would compromise what I think are some good years ahead.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The last 2 games were agiainst Price and Dubnyk and although they didnt get a ton of quality chances those goalies came up big and thats what a great goalie can do in the playoffs. Lucky for us we have a goalie that is as good as anyone in the league right now

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I'll be an interloper on the post to yourself :laugh: ...in the last two games, the D has played very well and Bob has stood on his head. All of this has been up too intense playoff standards. As you said, three points on a single goal.... that's getting the most possible out of one goal.

Of course, Not scoring is no way to advance in the playoffs. Too many of the teams are not going to put an egg on the scoreboard. So that we have to fix....and soon. That said I was the one who believed we should make a hasty deadline trade that would compromise what I think are some good years ahead.

The team scored five on a playoff team in the games previous to these two. 7, 3, 2, 5 in the four games prior.

This is not to diminish the significance of these past two games, played in obvious playoff atmospheres against Vezina-caliber goalies (or goalies playing at a Vezina level anyway). Primarily, the Jackets need to figure out how to start scoring on the power play again, but yes, it'd be nice to see more consistent offense. I feel like the inconsistency goes back to a point I've been making for a while, which is the team's struggles to figure out how to accomplish certain things when their plan isn't working. I don't think this is a coaching thing, but a player/head thing.

But I also don't see the lack of scoring these past two games as particularly dire, given the broader context.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Haven't had a chance to catch up on the GDT, but last night had the feel of a playoff game. Very tight checking, but still some great action even with the lone goal - sort of like the game against Montreal.

I thought Quincey looked great last night. He seemed very controlled when handling the puck.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
The way the Wild coach was whining in his press conference, you'd think the CBJ were gifted this game:laugh:. Powerplays were even at 4 each, but he thinks they deserved more and that Hanzal should be allowed free goalie shots like this :shakehead

Hanzal was retaliating for a similar, earlier shot by Hartnell on the Minny goalie.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Hartnell hit Dubnyk too? (In addition to Price).

I wonder what Bob thinks about all of that.

I didn't see him hit Dubnyk. I was surprised he got away with tripping Price, some may say it was a slew foot.

Bob probably thinks it's not cheating if you don't get caught.;)

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
I didn't see him hit Dubnyk. I was surprised he got away with tripping Price, some may say it was a slew foot.

Bob probably thinks it's not cheating if you don't get caught.;)

I really don't care if Bob might have embellished it a bit. The Ref was standing right there and saw it happen. It was still a penalty whether Bob embellished or not.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
He went out of his way to jab his elbow at Bob's head, and the kicked-in goal was as distinct a kicking motion as you'll see. Being as objective as I can I don't see any poor officiating there. If there was poor officiating it was the missed high stickings on Minnesota.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

They better be working on it. With the numbers he was posting you would think faceoff would be worked on every time he was on the ice. If we can keep him and Dubi above 50%(not a problem for Dubi) we'll be in really good shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad