GDT: [Game #61] Dallas Stars @ Washington Capitals - 4:00 PM CT (BSSW)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Seriously scratching Harley. I didn’t watch all of the game yesterday, but thought played good
Harley did make some bad mistakes. No point sugar coating it, but at the same time, players who need NHL experience to learn from their mistakes don't learn by sitting in the press box.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Harley did make some bad mistakes. No point sugar coating it, but at the same time, players who need NHL experience to learn from their mistakes don't learn by sitting in the press box.

Well and let's be honest ... for one thing that's an excellent part of why this is odd. He's consistently getting better and more dangerous, but just like @David Castillo said on Twitter, people won't be as upset or surprised if you're consistent with sitting players who have been playing poorly (Faksa).

When there seems to be no rhyme or reason to decisions, and in other situations he just often contradicts himself ... it's hard to have a ton of faith in the quality of the coach's decision-making.

On top of that, Klingberg is apparently banged up ... per the coach yesterday ... and Harley is a skill set that could be fairly useful if Klinger struggles in the game.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I'm serious with the Peterson/Harley take. How often do rookies get burned out late into the season? He's played more games this year than ever before, in the world's toughest league.

People acted like it was a crime against humanity to scratch a guy on pace for 20 points. Give him a breather. Let him catch up and adjust. Most NHL coaches do this.

People are way too overdramatic with the Harley takes. He was shit vs. the Islanders. Give him a day off and let him work his ass off to get back in the lineup.

Reactions: BrettHullsToe

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Just leaving this here.

jack-han-development.png

Reactions: Johno

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Well and let's be honest ... for one thing that's an excellent part of why this is odd. He's consistently getting better and more dangerous, but just like @David Castillo said on Twitter, people won't be as upset or surprised if you're consistent with sitting players who have been playing poorly (Faksa).

When there seems to be no rhyme or reason to decisions, and in other situations he just often contradicts himself ... it's hard to have a ton of faith in the quality of the coach's decision-making.

On top of that, Klingberg is apparently banged up ... per the coach yesterday ... and Harley is a skill set that could be fairly useful if Klinger struggles in the game.
I bet if one of the media guys asked Bowness about Faksa, Bowness would give Faksa a glowing review with a caveat about how he knows Faksa isn't scoring as much as he should. You see, it's not a contradiction if Bowness thinks Faksa is great.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm serious with the Peterson/Harley take. How often do rookies get burned out late into the season? He's played more games this year than ever before, in the world's toughest league.

People acted like it was a crime against humanity to scratch a guy on pace for 20 points. Give him a breather. Let him catch up and adjust. Most NHL coaches do this.

People are way too overdramatic with the Harley takes. He was shit vs. the Islanders. Give him a day off and let him work his ass off to get back in the lineup.

I agree there have been some bad takes, and I'd even agree that a B2B after a game like that isn't a bad time to take a guy out.

That said, you've also lost 4 of the last 5, and Hanley is a replacement-level player. I believe Sekera is as well. I think it's hard to argue that you have a major need for a win tonight, and Harley gives you a better shot at that than either of those two.

But yea .. I get where you are coming from.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

But you're talking about a guy needing rest to get his legs back. Shit, a guy like Benn would actually benefit from some games off, but hockey culture doesn't allow for the kind of workload management we see in the MLB, NBA, or soccer.

With Harley, Bowness isn't saying Harley is tired but is instead saying Harley needs to make different decisions. Guys don't gain experience watching games. If they did, I wouldn't be a shitty beer leaguer.

Reactions: BG44

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
But you're talking about a guy needing rest to get his legs back. Shit, a guy like Benn would actually benefit from some games off, but hockey culture doesn't allow for the kind of workload management we see in the MLB, NBA, or soccer.

With Harley, Bowness isn't saying Harley is tired but is instead saying Harley needs to make different decisions. Guys don't gain experience watching games. If they did, I wouldn't be a shitty beer leaguer.
They don't gain experience watching games but he's still around the team (something JRob credited as being invaluable during the bubble). They're not sending him to his couch.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
What team is Jack Han coaching these days?

Is this one of those bad rhetorical questions that's meant to be hiding its real point up its own arse? There's like a legion of great hockey minds who never played, and a legion of bad hockey minds that did. And? Han's words ring true regardless of whether or not he knows how to fix things at an NHL level.

• Haha
Reactions: Satan

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I'm excited about the Seguin line. I thought on the first goal that Peterson and Gurianov were out there on a line change. I still think that might have been the case. Hopefully, they can build on yesterday.

Reactions: Magic Mittens

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1