Post-Game Talk: GAME 61 - Backes wins it in SO - The Bear dances in the Vegas snow - BRUINS 3 VGK 2 F/SO

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
It's atrocious that the Islanders or Habs (current standings) get to move on at 4 and 7 and one of the Bruins Leafs are out at 2 and 3 in round 1.

How does that make sence, anyone have a valid reason?

Unbalanced regular season. If the difference in points between boston/toronto and the islanders is 2 or 3 after an 82 game schedule, dont lose sleep over it

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Vegas is missing something, can`t put my finger on what it is but they just don`t seem like the same team they were last year

The "no team wants us" mentality is not what is was last year. It seemed to drive them a lot more. The underdog motivation only lasts so long ....

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
Interesting to hear Cassidy explain his thinking for some of his choices in the shoot-out. Went with some shooters (mentioned Backes and Krug specifically) because they figured Fleury was good at handling dekes.

When Backes was starting his attempt, I actually said that aloud to myself: "He's gonna shoot."

So Vegas players get the 1st and 2nd stars of the game, in a losing effort? Don't see that very often. I would have at least given Halak the 2nd star.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Interesting to hear Cassidy explain his thinking for some of his choices in the shoot-out. Went with some shooters (mentioned Backes and Krug specifically) because they figured Fleury was good at handling dekes.

When Backes was starting his attempt, I actually said that aloud to myself: "He's gonna shoot."

So Vegas players get the 1st and 2nd stars of the game, in a losing effort? Don't see that very often. I would have at least given Halak the 2nd star.
The Three Stars are chosen by the home team, so you'll often get some head scratchers that favor the Home club.

Reactions: EvilDead

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The "no team wants us" mentality is not what is was last year. It seemed to drive them a lot more. The underdog motivation only lasts so long ....

Vegas also lacks what could be considered as a star player(s). Now one could argue that William Karlsson, Jonathan Marchessault, Alex Tuch, Max Pacioretty, Erik Haula and Shea Theodore could all possibly fit the bill for that recognition. The thing is that star players don't fall off like most of the names I mentioned (Haula being an exception since he got hurt). My fear is that most of those players that McPhee has invested in are just decent to good players and not good to great. That possible poor evaluation of the roster could leave the Knights in a bind if they are in a need to improve the team because McPhee was giving his players sweetheart deals to stay and may be hard to move if he wants to do a massive retool. Now, there is one positive for Vegas right now that could help the team albeit in the years to come and not immediately. Cody Glass. Based on how he has been playing for the Portland Winterhawks, that kid has the potential to be the face of the franchise.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
VGK had a special bond last year not unlike the 2013 Red Sox or the 2013 Bruins.

That said for a second-year expansion club they are doing fine.

True, they were a unique team who really seemed to also come together after that tragedy in Vegas

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Vegas also lacks what could be considered as a star player(s). Now one could argue that William Karlsson, Jonathan Marchessault, Alex Tuch, Max Pacioretty, Erik Haula and Shea Theodore could all possibly fit the bill for that recognition. The thing is that star players don't fall off like most of the names I mentioned (Haula being an exception since he got hurt). My fear is that most of those players that McPhee has invested in are just decent to good players and not good to great. That possible poor evaluation of the roster could leave the Knights in a bind if they are in a need to improve the team because McPhee was giving his players sweetheart deals to stay and may be hard to move if he wants to do a massive retool. Now, there is one positive for Vegas right now that could help the team albeit in the years to come and not immediately. Cody Glass. Based on how he has been playing for the Portland Winterhawks, that kid has the potential to be the face of the franchise.

Why move? No state tax. City always has something going on.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
My co-worker here in Vegas played youth hockey with Backes. I'm never going to hear the end of it now.

Great game. Too bad both teams couldn't win, because we could use the 2 points.

Reactions: DrJustice

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
Because Vegas is that kind of town, I'd kill for a mashup video of this roadtrip set to Grateful Dead's Shakedown Street. Backes scoring in the SO to the refrain of "Well, well, well, you can never tell..."

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I am an hour earlier that you all in Boston and I was barely hanging on last night at the end. It went to OT and I was like "noooooooooo" :laugh:

I've been a little a little under the weather and was half asleep for the third thanks to some nyquil... vaguely remember hearing marchand scoring while my eyes were closed and then waking up just in time to see Backes scoring in the shootout.

Reactions: Dr Hook

duffy

Feb 12, 2006

In the 70s I saw the Scabs get all 3 in a losing effort! You have to realize the stars are picked by the media from the market the game is played in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad