GDT: Game #61- Avs host Kraken @7pm MT / 9pm ET/ 4am CET/ 8am ICT

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Tell me the part where I think the Avs are better without him? My criticism with him is this one thing. Where he cant keep his emotions in check and goes out and hurts his team. I have praised Mikko all season long and even posted the other day how I think he should be a candidate for the Hart this season. Where was your ass for that one huh?
You dropped this king 👑

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
While I agree JTC is not a 2C, we did go 5-1 with him at 2C for us in the playoffs last year, and he is playing at a higher production pace this year than last.

So I think it's still possible to make the SCF with him at 2C, but the margin for error is slim to none and we HAVE to stay healthy.
Going 6 games is much different than 24.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Going 6 games is much different than 24.
I like how you dismiss the six games and arbitrarily throw out a 24 game number.

Where did you get that number from? We won in 20 games last year. You just guessing at a number now?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like how you dismiss the six games and arbitrarily throw out a 24 game number.

Where did you get that number from? We won in 20 games last year. You just guessing at a number now?
Most teams win somewhere in the 23-26 game range. Not at all arbitrary.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
While I agree JTC is not a 2C, we did go 5-1 with him at 2C for us in the playoffs last year, and he is playing at a higher production pace this year than last.

So I think it's still possible to make the SCF with him at 2C, but the margin for error is slim to none and we HAVE to stay healthy.
Injuries are part of the playoffs for every team, they will happen no matter what.

There is no comparison between this Avs version and the cup winning team. They were much better and had nearly everyone firing on all cylinders. It's not even close, especially after the deadline nonsense.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Tell me the part where I think the Avs are better without him? My criticism with him is this one thing. Where he cant keep his emotions in check and goes out and hurts his team. I have praised Mikko all season long and even posted the other day how I think he should be a candidate for the Hart this season. Where was your ass for that one huh?
Well. Mate. Who kept the ship aboard while mack was out....

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
All I have to say is that if you think Mikko Rantenen has a short fuse . . . you would have loved Claude Lemieux.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Injuries are part of the playoffs for every team, they will happen no matter what.

There is no comparison between this Avs version and the cup winning team. They were much better and had nearly everyone firing on all cylinders. It's not even close, especially after the deadline nonsense.
Kadri + Bura + Sturm + NAK + Kuemper > ERod + Malgin + Nieto + Eller +Georgiev, there's no doubt.

But I think we forget how bad the Avs looked going into the playoffs (lost 6 of 7). If we can ever figure out a way to fire on all cylinders this season (hasn't really happened yet, part of it is the glut of injuries of course, but could be a sign we're just not as good this year), then I don't think the team is THAT much weaker, at least in context of being able to make it out of the West.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Kadri + Bura + Sturm + NAK + Kuemper > ERod + Malgin + Nieto + Eller +Georgiev, there's no doubt.

But I think we forget how bad the Avs looked going into the playoffs (lost 6 of 7). If we can ever figure out a way to fire on all cylinders this season (hasn't really happened yet, part of it is the glut of injuries of course, but could be a sign we're just not as good this year), then I don't think the team is THAT much weaker, at least in context of being able to make it out of the West.
We could debate on a million reasons why here, but there are signs the team is just that much weaker. 5v5 the Avs only have xGF% higher than Seattle and Winnipeg out of the playoff teams in the West (and that difference is less than a quarter percent). HDCF% Avs are the lowest in the West. The Avs chances are being pushed to the perimeter and out, while defensively, the slot chances are up dramatically. Shot differential... Avs are +1 per game this year, last year +3 (larger difference than it sounds like). Down from +9 the year previous. Avs were a top 5 underlying team just a couple years ago. Slipped to fringe top 10 last year (Avs' finishing rate was incredibly high though). This year the Avs are closer to 20 in most areas.

There might be the argument that hey, goaltending is improved... it isn't. Avs have gotten similar performances out of Kuemper and Grubi the past two seasons. George has been good, but overall the Avs play a very friendly goalie style. Avs have clearly identified this though and found a way to save cap.

There is a strong downward trend in the Avs' underlying. We can debate the why and reasons around it, but there a signs of cracks.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We could debate on a million reasons why here, but there are signs the team is just that much weaker. 5v5 the Avs only have xGF% higher than Seattle and Winnipeg out of the playoff teams in the West (and that difference is less than a quarter percent). HDCF% Avs are the lowest in the West. The Avs chances are being pushed to the perimeter and out, while defensively, the slot chances are up dramatically. Shot differential... Avs are +1 per game this year, last year +3 (larger difference than it sounds like). Down from +9 the year previous. Avs were a top 5 underlying team just a couple years ago. Slipped to fringe top 10 last year (Avs' finishing rate was incredibly high though). This year the Avs are closer to 20 in most areas.

There might be the argument that hey, goaltending is improved... it isn't. Avs have gotten similar performances out of Kuemper and Grubi the past two seasons. George has been good, but overall the Avs play a very friendly goalie style. Avs have clearly identified this though and found a way to save cap.

There is a strong downward trend in the Avs' underlying. We can debate the why and reasons around it, but there a signs of cracks.

Nuke and Landy?

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Might be two of the biggest though. Those two are sort of our identity.

I've seen people pick apart the team enough, just think it's fairly simple.
The results were decreasing with them already, we have zero idea if they’ll be healthy enough to perform at a high level this season, and they are at an age where a cliff could happen.

Along with that, we’ve seen more changes that just them. Again, we could debate a million reasons.

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Lol everyone in HFavs pissy since the TDL

Probably because the people who were optimistic have had any hope crushed and those that like being negative/opposing the other side basically got a guarantee to being right at some point. Compare it to last years deadline. You still had some people picking Tampa/losing there shit vs the Blues. Avs had one of the most dominant runs possible and HFAvs still had some breakdowns lol

Avs basically need to hope for a run where they they get 100% health which is completely unrealistic. Even than if the Avs get bounced in the WCF/lose in the finals ... you'll always know deep down that if they made moves things are likely different. Not getting a 2C and believing in JTC is annoying but the death blow was not even adding a scoring winger to help the offense.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I still think not having our top 4 dmen all healthy together for any significant amount of time is one of the biggest cracks. When the Avs are playing "their" game, everything, I mean everything, starts from the backend. For the team to function well playing their game, they need to have chemistry and get in a groove and they've just never been able to do so. Somebody has always been injured causing somebody else to be overworked to exhaustion. And if I'm being honest, we don't have the depth to cover for our top 4 being injured without sacrifice (or cracks).

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I still think not having our top 4 dmen all healthy together for any significant amount of time is one of the biggest cracks. When the Avs are playing "their" game, everything, I mean everything, starts from the backend. For the team to function well playing their game, they need to have chemistry and get in a groove and they've just never been able to do so. Somebody has always been injured causing somebody else to be overworked to exhaustion. And if I'm being honest, we don't have the depth to cover for our top 4 being injured without sacrifice (or cracks).
Avs have never had the top 4 group fully healthy in the past and had much, much better numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad