GDT: Game #61- Avs host Kraken @7pm MT / 9pm ET/ 4am CET/ 8am ICT

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This roster had one major hole that didn't get addressed and has not shown the ability to even play 1 game with a healthy roster. I think the best they've done all season is 2 key guys out.

At this point, I think it is fair to say the Avs have at least two major holes. 2C and middle 6 transition winger. There is a solid chance there is a 3rd in reliable backup goalie.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I think in OT it's very hard to win the puck outside of a faceoff or a shot/save. I don't think the starting lines make an ounce of difference in this one when they played keep away the whole OT until our bad line change.

Compher is a better faceoff guy than Mack. So he gave us the best shot at an initial possession. But he lost the draw and that was that.

Last year, Kadri frequently took the face-off then ran to the bench. That could have been the strategy with JTC, but no. Bednar simply has no strategies at all for OT. This can be added to all the things the team clearly does not practice:

Face-offs
Puck clearing
Finishing checks ( thus helping reduce a cycle as well)
Too many men penalties / awful shift changes
Shooting the damn puck when on the PP
Starting games with any sense of urgency

These are all hockey fundamentals. I don't care if Al Arbour is behind the bench; if the coach can't teach fundamentals, the team will underperform.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Is anyone just finding themselves apathetic after MacFarland's big no show at the deadline? They're not winning a cup with JT2C, rooting for playoff seeding seems pointless to me ATM. I don't even see this team coming out of the West.

I might be more excited if they missed the postseason and end up with a higher pick because apparently we're keeping that damn thing.
No. If the team was as shit as this board thinks, then it was the right thing not to buy more. Complaining makes little sense except for the sake of complaining.

Reactions: shadow1

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
My thoughts on this are pretty clear at this point. In the end, the Avs are taking a risk by being conservative and only time will tell if it was the correct decision or not.

With regards to the results, IMO the Avs are clearly in the Cup or bust realm. I wouldn't consider a run to the WCF or even the Cup finals a successful season. It is Cup or failure right now. Mostly because you only get a few finite chances at winning a Cup with a core. If you don't capitalize on them when you can, it ends up a waste. This isn't the 18-19 Avs where there are many years in the future... this is a team with a horde of cap issues, players starting to age and build up injuries, and the asset pool getting thinner and thinner.
Should have been Cup or bust mentality, unfortunately management doesn't seem to have the same thoughts as proven by ignoring a huge need, 2C.

Now the only real hope for any type of run is either 29, 96 and 8 go scorched earth or George goes Nuclear or might even take a combo of both.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
At this point, I think it is fair to say the Avs have at least two major holes. 2C and middle 6 transition winger. There is a solid chance there is a 3rd in reliable backup goalie.
Agreed. But 2C is by far the biggest issue. Transition middle six winger probably wouldn't be as big of an issue of we had a legit 2C.

Frank and his mysterious injury is a problem. Hoping he is back sooner than later so not really a worry on backup as of yet. But very well could be an issue.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
He really hasn’t looked top form all season
Yep he's kind of stagnated in my opinion. Tough to say since he's basically point per game. But I do think the league has adjusted how they play against him, which isn't surprising.

Also think the TOI was/is a problem. He's being asked to eat a ton of hard minutes which limits how much energy he can exert offensively. Really need Byram to become a minute eater to take some pressure off Makar and Toews.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Agreed. But 2C is by far the biggest issue. Transition middle six winger probably wouldn't be as big of an issue of we had a legit 2C.

Frank and his mysterious injury is a problem. Hoping he is back sooner than later so not really a worry on backup as of yet. But very well could be an issue.
Oh totally agree 2C is the biggest issue and depending on the style of 2C, you could patchwork the wing issue... or take a risk on a kid like Foudy who specializes in that skill.

My issue with Frank is he's paid very well for a backup goalie that can't be counted on. With the cap and Frank's injury issues, his $2m cap hit is even more expensive since you have to have another 150-250k to cover for his injuries (and a couple losses as a result). If he was a 1.25m guy, that is less of an issue since that money could be used elsewhere. On a team tight to the cap, every dollar counts and his contract is just inefficient.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I know we all wanted a 2C but i quickly went over all the top teams in the league, and for the most of them their 2C is on par with what JTC is doing for the Avs

Boston and Edmonton are two teams that have a 2C that produces more than JTC, but for the rest of the top teams like the Canes, Rangers, Stars, Vegas, Tampa etc… they all have a 2C who produces equal or less than JTC

Reactions: Alienblood

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know we all wanted a 2C but i quickly went over all the top teams in the league, and for the most of them their 2C is on par with what JTC is doing for the Avs

Boston and Edmonton are two teams that have a 2C that produces more than JTC, but for the rest of the top teams like the Canes, Rangers, Stars, Vegas, Tampa etc… they all have a 2C who produces equal or less than JTC
Production is not the main issue with JTC as a 2C. You need production, but defensive play and controlling the game are far more important. The issues the Avs have 5v5 stem from them not being able to control the play at a consistent rate. If the play is controlled, everything else follows.

Reactions: RampoSanta

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Oh totally agree 2C is the biggest issue and depending on the style of 2C, you could patchwork the wing issue... or take a risk on a kid like Foudy who specializes in that skill.

My issue with Frank is he's paid very well for a backup goalie that can't be counted on. With the cap and Frank's injury issues, his $2m cap hit is even more expensive since you have to have another 150-250k to cover for his injuries (and a couple losses as a result). If he was a 1.25m guy, that is less of an issue since that money could be used elsewhere. On a team tight to the cap, every dollar counts and his contract is just inefficient.
Frank cant be trusted its that simple. The Avs need a reliable back up almost as much as anything else at this point.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

This is weak. Get back to the process and try to remember you are a top 30 dman in the league and this team needs you more then ever now that Devon Toews has fallen off a cliff.

Avs are pretty much stuck with the decision through next season. I do think that Frank, when healthy, is an excellent backup and worth the pay... he just can't stay healthy.
Hes adequate for what he gets paid but the Avs went through this with him already. They need reliability even if it means someone not as good. There is somone better that could play here. Avs should have swapped him for Kahkonen.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
It’s a humble statement from Makar and has no basis in reality. I think he was more joking than anything else.

He was the Avs best player last night.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
sick gaming in this team yet never anymore watching game. coach first thing needing to go away. this team needing new face. this team needing nee plyers built up and everything. fans wanting yo watvh like allstar game all goals coming in allevening. instead they here present solo somewat hockey. will rants never reacjing 150 point seasons?here he like no chanche playing givr go hockey.mackanplaying . .mmskarr playing soloskating games. sell nackannon and make team players from it.rants makin 50 goal by playing with himself. that sort of some effort but impossible making much points in this team ss of today.. macksnnonn in pp propaly playing for not helping mikko for 5.sitting in at heavy rotating train soorry many mistaing lretters0non not passing pucks at C he

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
sick gaming in this team yet never anymore watching game. coach first thing needing to go away. this team needing new face. this team needing nee plyers built up and everything. fans wanting yo watvh like allstar game all goals coming in allevening. instead they here present solo somewat hockey. will rants never reacjing 150 point seasons?here he like no chanche playing givr go hockey.mackanplaying . .mmskarr playing soloskating games. sell nackannon and make team players from it.rants makin 50 goal by playing with himself. that sort of some effort but impossible making much points in this team ss of today.. macksnnonn in pp propaly playing for not helping mikko for 5.sitting in at heavy rotating train soorry many mistaing lretters0non not passing pucks at C he
Even for you that's too much gibberish. But i'm glad you're back, so i had to like your post.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
These are all hockey fundamentals. I don't care if Al Arbour is behind the bench; if the coach can't teach fundamentals, the team will underperform.
Easy there friend. Al Arbour does not belong in the same coaching conversation as Jared. Bednar has a long way to go before he touches the hem of Al Arbour's garment.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Production is not the main issue with JTC as a 2C. You need production, but defensive play and controlling the game are far more important. The issues the Avs have 5v5 stem from them not being able to control the play at a consistent rate. If the play is controlled, everything else follows.
The defensive play will improve on that line when Landeskog returns

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’s a humble statement from Makar and has no basis in reality. I think he was more joking than anything else.

He was the Avs best player last night.
Makar was probably 2nd or 3rd, but George was by far the best player for the Avs. Not even close.

The defensive play will improve on that line when Landeskog returns
Maybe... but the center role is simply different and while Landy can pull heavy defensive duty, expecting him to solve that after missing a season is unlikely at best. JTC simply isn't a 2C, no amount of bandaids change that fact.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Makar was probably 2nd or 3rd, but George was by far the best player for the Avs. Not even close.

Maybe... but the center role is simply different and while Landy can pull heavy defensive duty, expecting him to solve that after missing a season is unlikely at best. JTC simply isn't a 2C, no amount of bandaids change that fact.
Well the only good defensive center that was on a trade block was ROR. The word on Horvat is that he’s not that good defensively.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well the only good defensive center that was on a trade block was ROR. The word on Horvat is that he’s not that good defensively.
Horvat is better than JTC defensively… but controlling the play is about it all. You can’t really believe that JTC is better than Horvat…

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs coaches must be pretty fed up if cool as a cucumber Bednar is bringing up the possibility of a benching for Rantanen's continued undisciplined antics. It's not just the mouthing off, it's also the retaliation minors he keeps picking up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad