GDT: Game 60: Jets @ Avalanche - 6:30PM - WE WANT TWO!

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Ae6wmj5.png

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Oh and one more thing - I don't know how any reasonable person can watch that hockey game last night and think - yeah, it's probably a good idea to trade #16 let alone Joe Sakic thinking that. Those big Jets guys aren't going anywhere and we're going to have to face them in the playoffs sooner or later.

I don't care even if Z demanded a trade - I wouldn't give him one!!

I've said it before - I think the whole Zadorov is available thing is a bait and switch. Get GMs to give you a call to talk about acquiring a d-man and get some dialogue going.

Exactly! What happens in the playoffs if guys take a run at MacKinnon? Are his linemates Kerfoot and Ghetto going to start tossing people around? No. No they will not. And can't.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Although that said, it looks like we just may have our first actual NHL level talent to come out of the first round for us in almost 10 years with Greer. Not ready to plan a celebration yet but he's looking more and more competent as a 4th liner if nothing else.

That is not something I'd personally attribute to the scouting staff that is here... good or bad.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If I'm Bednar I would leave the Landy-Jost-Calvert line together for the rest of the season to really get Jost going. Don't split them and risk Jost losing confidence again. Next year is anther story depending on who we have for the 2nd line.

The Jets have a big decision to make on Laine's contract but Laine does as well. His best bet would be to take a bridge contract to prove this year was an anomaly and then cash in big on his next contract. However what if this is not an anomaly? Is he better off going for a few less millions per year and a long contract to protect himself? Tough decision. One thing is sure is that if he is not scoring goals he is completely useless. In fact I think Maurice would take being useless right now over being a liability which he is most night. It sucks that this Laine is showing up this season as they are going for it but in a way it is a very good thing because that next contract would have looked very very ugly if he had a normal year this season and this kind of play next season.

Reactions: MacBradley

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah.... Laine over Matthews and Patrick at #1 overall are two very concerning leaks to come out, especially combined with our very suspect drafting that has gone on for almost a decade now...

Something definitely seems fundamentally wrong with the way they're evaluating players.

Although that said, it looks like we just may have our first actual NHL level talent to come out of the first round for us in almost 10 years with Greer. Not ready to plan a celebration yet but he's looking more and more competent as a 4th liner if nothing else.

Not exactly a home run pick but given our history the last 10 years it would be a small victory for Greer to become a solid 4th line guy.
A high 2nd round pick becoming just a 4th liner is not that great but better than we have done in the past I guess. However that pick was Roy's much more than the scouting staff. Who knows they would have picked instead of him if Roy was here at the time.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
You're thinking its our development system that produced Greer? Or I guess lack of since he is still only looking like maybe a 4th liner and not much more?

I mean, the way that he played always suggested that his development would end up as a bottom line grinder if it didn't go particularly well. He was always a high floor guy.

Reactions: Waingro

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
The Avs list was leaked. They had Laine ahead of Matthews.
You sure it was leaked? I swear I thought it was an article where someone directly asked Hepple?

Is that proven or true? Just never heard this before.
Yes.

The quality of the scouting group really should be questioned... too many of these potentially bad evaluations coming up. They have hit on some (Rants for sure), but is that a case of a blind squirrel or actual eye for talent?
Still too early to say, these last two drafts will be the most important ones. So far there have been both hits and misses in there with Morrison, Weiss, Anderson, Kovalenko, Timmins, Beaudin, Meloche, and Shvyryov. A big question mark right now is the double Finns with Ranta and Annunen and if they ever become anything. Ranta has had a decent freshman year, even if I wasn't the biggest fan of the selection and that he's been demoted to the bottom 6 since mid-January. Annunen is an 18 year old goaler playing in a men's league so hard to say how much he has improved.

I get raked over this opinion but I still take NP over Hischier. Hischier’s production away from Hall is around 60% of what it is with him.
Yeah you mention this all the time, it's still wrong, but we're also starting to see that neither will be the best of that draft.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean...there are some players picked after Greer in the 2nd round of that 2015 draft who look like they'll be better players or already are better players (Dunn, Blackwood, Sprong, Andersson) but there isn't really that fantastic player they missed out on with the Greer pick. Aho, Dermott, and Carlo were already gone by the time the Avs were up. They definitely whiffed with the Beaudin pick right afterwards though.

Reactions: Waingro

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean...there are some players picked after Greer in the 2nd round of that 2015 draft who look like they'll be better players or already are better players (Dunn, Blackwood, Sprong, Andersson) but there isn't really that fantastic player they missed out on with the Greer pick. Aho, Dermott, and Carlo were already gone by the time the Avs were up. They definitely whiffed with the Beaudin pick right afterwards though.
I wouldn't call Beaudin a bad pick though, he had the IQ, the talent, and the numbers to show progression. He actually had solid growth since his draft year too, he's one of those players who just showed that he was afraid to get hit or make a play in the pros. That's a weakness that you just wouldn't be able to scout since he was a dominant junior player and looked like a dear in the headlights when he came to the NHL/AHL. It's sad because that isn't one you can really can't blame the scouting department and more the player because Beaudin had(s) all the makings of a really solid 3rd liner.

Reactions: McMetal

lowol

Nov 27, 2006
I am a bit surprised at the assessment of Greer in this page. I've been impressed with his puckhandling and vision in this latest call-up. He's obviously too slow to be consistently effective but I think there's middle-sixer potential if he can improve the skating to "below average" rather than "incapacitated snail".

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I am a bit surprised at the assessment of Greer in this page. I've been impressed with his puckhandling and vision in this latest call-up. He's obviously too slow but I think there's middle-sixer potential if he can improve the skating to "below average" rather than "incapacitated snail".

He hasn’t shown much for puck skills in this call up. But he definitely plays the heavy forchecking/energy role very well.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You're thinking its our development system that produced Greer? Or I guess lack of since he is still only looking like maybe a 4th liner and not much more?
Greer was picked so early because of a family relationship with Roy plain and simple.

At least that’s what I learned from trusted members on here back when it happened. It certainly hasn’t helped with my dislike for him. Especially when I wanted Aho but they traded down to take Greer and Meloche instead.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I wouldn't call Beaudin a bad pick though, he had the IQ, the talent, and the numbers to show progression. He actually had solid growth since his draft year too, he's one of those players who just showed that he was afraid to get hit or make a play in the pros. That's a weakness that you just wouldn't be able to scout since he was a dominant junior player and looked like a dear in the headlights when he came to the NHL/AHL. It's sad because that isn't one you can really can't blame the scouting department and more the player because Beaudin had(s) all the makings of a really solid 3rd liner.

I think we can say it was a bad pick. Somehow other teams who draft and develop talent better than the Avalanche don't make those picks nearly as often. There are a lot of players who have come and gone who a lot of us thought were "good" picks. I get even the best of organizations will miss more often than not, but the Avs make a whole lot more of those than a lot of teams.

At some point, something's either broken at the scouting level or the developmental level, or both.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Anyway, I forgot to even talk about the game. Both Bednar and a certain young forward I don't want to mention for fear of jinxing him are making me eat a ton of crow right now, and I'm okay with that, certainly hope it continues.

Not much else to say apart from the fact that the Jets have looked shockingly bad the last two times the Avs have faced them. Hellebuyck was actually quite good despite giving up seven. If it had been someone else I've no idea what the score would have been. I'm just not sure what's going on in Winnipeg, but in the end, not my problem. A win is a win.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Anyway, I forgot to even talk about the game. Both Bednar and a certain young forward I don't want to mention for fear of jinxing him are making me eat a ton of crow right now, and I'm okay with that, certainly hope it continues.

Not much else to say apart from the fact that the Jets have looked shockingly bad the last two times the Avs have faced them. Hellebuyck was actually quite good despite giving up seven. If it had been someone else I've no idea what the score would have been. I'm just not sure what's going on in Winnipeg, but in the end, not my problem. A win is a win.
We scored a lot of hard-working goals, and the lines looked great. Ghetto and Kerfoot struggled to give Mack decent passes, but they were usually a threat.

If the lines keep rolling, and we get the PP scoring, we could make the playoffs. We have 3 games against Chicago, and those games have a huge impact on our chances. Chicago is allowing goals by the truck load right now.

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

They miss Ehlers for sure and last night they for sure missed Buff. I think Maurice should look to play Wheeler and Scheifele apart. Lol there was a play in the 1st yesterday when Laine dumped the puck into EJs corner and made a half ass attempt to get it back but did everything he could not to body EJ. Not even a stick check. That kinda stuff is infuriating. Guy is not engaged at all.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, Laine looked disinterested for sure. I had a feeling Maurice would not surivive this season barring a very deep playoff run, and it sure looks like the team is trying to get him fired now.

Fun fact: The only Jets player who was not on the ice for a goal against was Mathieu Perreault. If the Jets move on from him the Avs better at least make a good honest bid for his services.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah, Laine looked disinterested for sure. I had a feeling Maurice would not surivive this season barring a very deep playoff run, and it sure looks like the team is trying to get him fired now.

Fun fact: The only Jets player who was not on the ice for a goal against was Mathieu Perreault. If the Jets move on from him the Avs better at least make a good honest bid for his services.
I'd love him in our bottom 6. Guy bleeds hipster, but I can look past that.

Reactions: MarkT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad