Post-Game Talk: Game #60: Canucks lose 3-1 to the Leafs - No games until Feb. 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Yeah, I mean lots of these players signed those ntc's because they thought this was an awesome team that would compete for at least a few more years, but now that the team is looking very poor, I'm sure a few players won't hesitate to leave to a decent team.

And Gillis would be a dumbass to wait that long, when a players agent gets involved its never a good thing, when it get to that point when a player asks for a trade it becomes a **** show and a hit to the return of that player.... Oh wait this is how Gillis makes big trades.

Betamax*

Yes. The NTC is just to give the player some leverage in terms of controlling where he can go. It's not going to be a roadblock.

Well, NTC do makes deals harder to complete and can be a roadblock. We all just need to look back at the attempted Bobby Lu trade debacle when he didn't want to waive to go to the Leafs (while Burke was their GM.)

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
About three years ago, I would have agreed not 100% but a limited time special bonus 10% to make it 110% ... But I checked the calender and it read 2014 not 2011 ..... :(

Not sure why people are even discussing goaltending. Our goalie isn't the problem.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Have at least a limited NTC/NMC

Hansen
Higgins
Burrows
Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Bieksa
Garrison
Hamhuis
Edler
Luongo

so

Kassian
Santorelli
Richardson
Dalpe
Sestito
Tanev
Lack
Alberts
Weber
Stanton

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Lel. Our defense collapses in front of Luongo in clutch situations. Luongo only had one bad playoffs. The 09-10 one.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lel. Our defense collapses in front of Luongo in clutch situations. Luongo only had one bad playoffs. The 09-10 one.

Disagree on that. Luongo has the best ES SVP of any goalie to make it past round 1 in those playoffs. Our inept PK is what cost us.

The playoffs that I pin on Luongo is the 08-09 playoffs. That year is when he gave up 7 goals in a game where we scored 5. He also struggled a bit prior to that game and IMO cost us that series.

Anytime you score 5 goals in a game you should win.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Not sure if I'm adding any earth shattering insight here, but the Canucks need to win a few games first before making any sort of major trade. The market value of their players is obviously low right now given the seven-game losing streak. If they play half decently following the break and up until the deadline, there may be some eager teams willing to add for a run and then that would be the time to execute a deal. That said, if this team does come out of this tail spin I think the worst thing Gillis could do is suddenly think they're a playoff contender and be a buyer or stand pat. They're not a contender anymore. Plain and simple. End of story.

As for the No Trade Clause fiasco, I understand Gillis' loyalty, but this is a business and sometimes things change. If this ship is sinking most veteran players probably want off regardless of whether they have a NTC or not. Gillis shouldn't have to worry about offending players by asking them to waive their NTCs. If things stay the way they are, sooner or later, they will come to him anyways.

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.
Leaf fan coming in peace. At the start of the third period,I thought the final score would be 1-0 Nucks or 1-1tie and a shoot out. I thought the Nucks played very well for all their injuries. The Leafs went into a tail spin when our top two centres were injured. Without Bozak, Kessel and JVR looked ineffective at best. Once he came back, Leafs went on a win streak that vaulted them back into the playoff picture. When Henrick Sedin comes back it should vastly improve Daniel's play and Burrows is really struggling with that shield,which he should lose by the time the Olympics are over. I think that things will look a lot better when you guys get healthy and get Bieksa back(when is he coming back?). A losing streak because you have lost your first line is a very common occurrence in the NHL.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
The NTC's are a non issue imo. Trades don't happen in this league… especially not the ones that see you trade an under-performing player for an upgrade. We keep bringing in as many good players as we can and if guys with NTC's don't start performing better, they'll have a lesser role on the team. That's how it sorts itself out.

SnapIt

Feb 19, 2013
Not sure if I'm adding any earth shattering insight here, but the Canucks need to win a few games first before making any sort of major trade. The market value of their players is obviously low right now given the seven-game losing streak. If they play half decently following the break and up until the deadline, there may be some eager teams willing to add for a run and then that would be the time to execute a deal. That said, if this team does come out of this tail spin I think the worst thing Gillis could do is suddenly think they're a playoff contender and be a buyer or stand pat. They're not a contender anymore. Plain and simple. End of story.

As for the No Trade Clause fiasco, I understand Gillis' loyalty, but this is a business and sometimes things change. If this ship is sinking most veteran players probably want off regardless of whether they have a NTC or not. Gillis shouldn't have to worry about offending players by asking them to waive their NTCs. If things stay the way they are, sooner or later, they will come to him anyways.

Only on HFBoards does a player's trade value diminish over a 7 game span. It's the NHL, not the Stock Market.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
Only on HFBoards does a player's trade value diminish over a 7 game span. It's the NHL, not the Stock Market.

I know. I'm just saying given the shape this team is in now the Canucks wouldn't exactly be dealing from a position of strength would they? This isn't exactly a seven game span. The players on this team have played like garbage since late December.

Lundface*

Incorrect.

Luongo was stellar his first year in 2006-2007.

Luongo was pitiful in 2007-2008 when they went on a massive losing streak, choked hard down the stretch and missed the playoffs. People saw this as a result of his daughter being born and the complications so he was given a pass.

Luongo was amazing in round 1 against St Louis, all 4 games he was superb. However, Luongo was perhaps the main reason Van bowed out to Chicago 2008-2009. The team gave him every chance, especially in that Elimination game where they scored 5 and gave him multiple leads...but he was terrible and the birth of 7uongo was this playoff year.

2009-2010 as you mentioned he was bad against LA, and again got blown to pieces by Chicago. At this point people I think realized what we actually had in net, and that 2007 may have been an aberration. Personally I still feel he hasn't been the same since that Pitt injury as his movement doesn't allow him to be dominant as he once was.

2010-2011 he was okay, great at times but also choked up hard against Chicago ultimately being pulled before showing up in game 7. Up and down playoffs but the team was injured and he was just one of many players that couldn't pick up the slack. He gets a pass for this run, good at times but equally bad at others.

2011-2012 he was bad again against LA...people can pretend he wasn't, but behind the same team Schneider looked much better and matched Quick giving the team a chance.

2012-2013 he was average, not good enough but not horrible. Injured Schneider had to come back and he was terrible in his 2 games...Like Luongo he'd make big saves but let in back breaking goals.

Luongo has had a rough playoffs in his time in Vancouver, would have wished he could have been like his 2006/2007 self in the following years but we got what we got. Perhaps pre cap he could have won a cup somewhere behind a stacked team but he's shown he isn't a guy that can help carry his team.

serge2k

Sep 16, 2006
Have at least a limited NTC/NMC

Hansen
Higgins
Burrows
Sedin
Sedin
Kesler
Bieksa
Garrison
Hamhuis
Edler
Luongo

so

Kassian
Santorelli
Richardson
Dalpe
Sestito
Tanev
Lack
Alberts
Weber
Stanton
who is going to exercise their NTC/NMC to prevent leaving a losing team? That's what we are going to have until the rebuild ends, a losing team.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
First time I have to agree with you, indeed Lack aint the problem :)..Luongo is a different story. You will see what I mean with that after the Olympics :nod:

Lack was getting shaky at the end of his time as starter when Luongo was out... I really like Lack and think he'll be a solid #1 goalie one day but right now over 82 games I'd take Luongo over Lack, At this point.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Lack was getting shaky at the end of his time as starter when Luongo was out... I really like Lack and think he'll be a solid #1 goalie one day but right now over 82 games I'd take Luongo over Lack, At this point.

I'd take luongo too, easily. Lack need atleast another full year as backup before I'd even think of him as a starter. He's great in games here and there but when Lu was hurt he wasn't even close to better than Lu.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Incorrect. In the last two years of his tenure we were a lazy and unmotivated team. AV lost a locker room which he never had in the first place and the players needed to be held accountable. Maybe Torts isn't the coach we thought we had at the beginning of the season but a new voice was needed behind the bench.

simply untrue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad