Post-Game Talk: Game #60: Canucks lose 3-1 to the Leafs - No games until Feb. 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Incorrect.

Luongo was stellar his first year in 2006-2007.

Luongo was pitiful in 2007-2008 when they went on a massive losing streak, choked hard down the stretch and missed the playoffs. People saw this as a result of his daughter being born and the complications so he was given a pass.

Luongo was amazing in round 1 against St Louis, all 4 games he was superb. However, Luongo was perhaps the main reason Van bowed out to Chicago 2008-2009. The team gave him every chance, especially in that Elimination game where they scored 5 and gave him multiple leads...but he was terrible and the birth of 7uongo was this playoff year.

2009-2010 as you mentioned he was bad against LA, and again got blown to pieces by Chicago. At this point people I think realized what we actually had in net, and that 2007 may have been an aberration. Personally I still feel he hasn't been the same since that Pitt injury as his movement doesn't allow him to be dominant as he once was.

2010-2011 he was okay, great at times but also choked up hard against Chicago ultimately being pulled before showing up in game 7. Up and down playoffs but the team was injured and he was just one of many players that couldn't pick up the slack. He gets a pass for this run, good at times but equally bad at others.

2011-2012 he was bad again against LA...people can pretend he wasn't, but behind the same team Schneider looked much better and matched Quick giving the team a chance.

2012-2013 he was average, not good enough but not horrible. Injured Schneider had to come back and he was terrible in his 2 games...Like Luongo he'd make big saves but let in back breaking goals.

Luongo has had a rough playoffs in his time in Vancouver, would have wished he could have been like his 2006/2007 self in the following years but we got what we got. Perhaps pre cap he could have won a cup somewhere behind a stacked team but he's shown he isn't a guy that can help carry his team.
Totally disagree with your the 2012 and 2013 playoff assessment. Luongo played very well and was only replaced because the team in front of him needed a shake up. Nobody could score goals. It's been this team's main problem in the playoffs since their cup run year.

He was not "bad" against LA in 2010 either. The first two games in Chicago he was also very good. Game 5 in Chicago he was stellar. 2009 he played one bad game, and it got the Canucks eliminated.

The only times Luongo has ever truly screwed his team over from a potential win are Game 6 in Chicago (2009) and Game 6 in Boston (2011).

Last edited:

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Disagree with the 2012 and 2013 Playoffs. Luongo played very well and was only replaced because the team in front of him needed a shake up. Nobody could score goals. It's been this team's main problem in the playoffs since their cup run year.

He was not particularly bad against LA in 2010 either. 2009 he played one bad game, and it got the Canucks eliminated.

Luongo played in front of two very unprepared teams in the 2012 and 2013 playoffs. He was really our best player in 3 out of the 4 games he got.

He was pretty awful in the whole 2010 playoffs with very good games sprinkled in between. In 2009 he was just okay in the Chicago series, but the last game he wasn't good - the first time he really looked human as a Canuck, IMO.

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
Lack was getting shaky at the end of his time as starter when Luongo was out... I really like Lack and think he'll be a solid #1 goalie one day but right now over 82 games I'd take Luongo over Lack, At this point.

Lack was getting shaky?............and what about the rest of the team?

Bertie

Jan 20, 2013
we need a coach who's not a distractionary drama queen

We have a WINNER!............

I totally agree. Another case of bad Gillis judgement. He doesn't seem to understand the intricacies of character, skill, speed and grit that goes into creating a great hockey team.
He lucked into a team 2 players short of greatness in 2011...........scratched his head, consulted his money-puck oracle............... and blew it up at every opportunity since then.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
We have a WINNER!............

I totally agree. Another case of bad Gillis judgement. He doesn't seem to understand the intricacies of character, skill, speed and grit that goes into creating a great hockey team.
He lucked into a team 2 players short of greatness in 2011...........scratched his head, consulted his money-puck oracle............... and blew it up at every opportunity since then.

Irony of contradiction aside, who were these 2 great players?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I wouldn't call Schroedz an AHLer.

He's just a very abysmal NHLer is all.

I don't see it. He hasn't lit it up but who has on this team? Possession-wise he's doing well (behind only Burrows, H. Sedin and D. Sedin), even though he's admittedly playing soft minutes (although hard to compare to the rest of the team given the sample size).

He has shown excellent vision to create chances for his teammates. I think if he can keep growing then he could be a good NHLer. It might not be here but he should hold some value in a trade if this keeps up.

Last edited:

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
You guys also have to remember that Schroeder is coming off an ankle injury that made him miss pretty much the whole year. Was it Malhotra who talked about how hard it is to come back from an injury, since you always feel behind everyone else, and you almost need a whole off-season to catch up?

Considering everything he's looked better than Burrows, and his ankle injury was more serious in terms of conditioning and being able to skate, so I'm not too concerned.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Not that I've noticed. Everyone was pretty cool about it at the game. I think they feel sorry for us.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
Yeah, the team was so great that they missed the playoffs twice in 3 years.

Gillis has made it farther than Nonis one time in 6 years compared to 3. IMO that's what matters, playoff success. I don't view either of the last two years as better than missing the playoffs, if your team is so weak it gets bounced in 4-5 games without even putting up a fight you might as well not even be there.

Gillis has had plenty of chances to put the right supporting cast around the core he inherited and he failed, now he's in no mans land because he clearly can't keep riding the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, even Hansen the way he has these past 5 years.

The regular season success fades, all people will remember is one cup run, failing to get out of the second round in every other year, and a big missed opportunity, oh and no cup which is the true sign of greatness not regular season awards. We were a very fun team to watch, i liked those years a lot but we failed plain and simple. All we've accomplished is equal to the 04 Flames, 06 oilers, 07 Sens, 2010 Flyers.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Gillis has made it farther than Nonis one time in 6 years compared to 3. IMO that's what matters, playoff success. I don't view either of the last two years as better than missing the playoffs, if your team is so weak it gets bounced in 4-5 games without even putting up a fight you might as well not even be there.

Gillis has had plenty of chances to put the right supporting cast around the core he inherited and he failed, now he's in no mans land because he clearly can't keep riding the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows, Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, even Hansen the way he has these past 5 years.

The regular season success fades, all people will remember is one cup run, failing to get out of the second round in every other year, and a big missed opportunity, oh and no cup which is the true sign of greatness not regular season awards. We were a very fun team to watch, i liked those years a lot but we failed plain and simple. All we've accomplished is equal to the 04 Flames, 06 oilers, 07 Sens, 2010 Flyers.

The Canucks have managed to win 16 playoff rounds in their 43 seasons in the league. In 5 seasons under Gillis (soon to be 6) they have won 5. That leaves 11 playoff rounds for the other 38 years. To put it another way, there have been 75 playoff round wins over those 5 years to spread amongst 27 teams that have made the post-season in that timespan for an average of 2.8 playoff round wins.

The simple fact is that there's a lot more room for this team to get worse than there is for them to get better.

Last edited:

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
**** in PG interview Daniel said "We're all pretty happy with our game right now." No wonder we are losing all the games.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
The Canucks have managed to win 16 playoff rounds in their 43 seasons in the league. In 5 seasons under Gillis (soon to be 6) they have won 5. That leaves 11 playoff rounds for the other 38 years.

The simple fact is that there's a lot more room for this team to get worse than there is for them to get better.

It bugs me that the Sedins say stuff like that, but I don't actually think they mean any of it. They just say positive things so the journalists can't go and make big stories about it. If he really does think that though, then we are in big trouble. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad