GDT: Game 60: Anaheim Ducks vs New Jersey Devils, 7pm PT, BSW (Henrique’s last game?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca

2pliq2.jpg

Posting the same thing I posted and getting more likes, the disrespect!

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
That's true. It is funny to see people try to desperately spin a narrative that the team is lost without Fowler when that isn't the case though.
Is that what you think I'm trying to do?
pk is a work in progress for the young dmen… it’s not like it’s great with fowler either.
The whole team is a work in progress. Attributing success or failure to one player or lack if player is silly imo. It's just a jab at Fowler to take a jab at Fowler...

slippingsloth

Jul 18, 2022
Is that what you think I'm trying to do?

The whole team is a work in progress. Attributing success or failure to one player or lack if player is silly imo. It's just a jab at Fowler to take a jab at Fowler...
The puck took the jab at fowler :p
Hope he didnt break his maxilla

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Meh they were missing a large portion of our offense, which means it was going to be a struggle to control the play much.

Was also the first game with that group.

We’re actually 100% win percentage when fowler doesn’t play
That wasn’t the discussion though. The discussion was that a defensive corps that gave up 55 shots to a team that averages 32.3 “played great”.

Not that there were reasons for playing poorly, not that they cannot improve, not that they were lost without Fowler, but that they “played great”. That’s objectively not true, unless it’s the sort of “rah rah, you played great, my little timbits, now let’s play even greater next time!” type of “played great”.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
-
In what way? Dostal has had a few stinkers himself.
I took that in that he never gets affected by nonsense on the ice, and that he fought through being ill to turn in a performance like that.

The man is also always impeccably dressed, Gibson looks sloppy. That’s more a “wow” about Dostal than a knock on Gibson though, the man has incredible style.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
That wasn’t the discussion though. The discussion was that a defensive corps that gave up 55 shots to a team that averages 32.3 “played great”.

Not that there were reasons for playing poorly, not that they cannot improve, not that they were lost without Fowler, but that they “played great”. That’s objectively not true, unless it’s the sort of “rah rah, you played great, my little timbits, now let’s play even greater next time!” type of “played great”.
i think they pulled out the w against all odds…. That’s always a good thing in my opinion. Our pk is trash and has been for awhile. It’s good to get these kids these reps and hopefully when forwards are in the line up that can control the game a bit, we’ll be able to bring those shot #s down.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
i think they pulled out the w against all odds…. That’s always a good thing in my opinion. Our pk is trash and has been for awhile. It’s good to get these kids these reps and hopefully when forwards are in the line up that can control the game a bit, we’ll be able to bring those shot #s down.
I’m thrilled with the win, don’t get me wrong, but I wasn’t focused mainly on the PK, but rather the misplays by the defense that led to the PK’s. Also the complete inability to collect the puck and clear it for the PK’s and most of the last 4 minutes of the game. I’m also concerned by just how badly Gudas’ game fell off with big minutes vs San Jose and then rolling into yesterday.

I don’t think McTavish has been the type of defensive stalwart that makes a difference to the opposing shot totals in any meaningful fashion. He’s been scoring in the offensive zone, but it’s been on transition plays, not so much cycling, and he’s been the worst of the three at being in position, getting back, and taking stupid penalties because of it. Carlsson yes, but we’ve had both out before and not been shelled like this.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

"They" didn't pull of a win. Dostal pulled off a win, which included a Vatrano induced penalty shot with 2.3 seconds left on the clock. Jones came up big when Mac fell to injury, including playing physical defense instead of being a spectator.

With the PK, Minty is the only new defensive PK personnel. LaCombe and Vaak have been playing on the PK all season. Pair 1: Minty-Gudas. Pair 2: Vaak-LaCombe. Minty-Gudas were on the ice for both PK goals against, but the last one was a 6v4 PK.

As for bringing our shots down, we gave up 50 SOGs and 13 blocked shots three games ago against the Kings with Carlsson, Mac, and Terry all game. We had only 24 SOGs against the Kings.

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I’m thrilled with the win, don’t get me wrong, but I wasn’t focused mainly on the PK, but rather the misplays by the defense that led to the PK’s. Also the complete inability to collect the puck and clear it for the PK’s and most of the last 4 minutes of the game. I’m also concerned by just how badly Gudas’ game fell off with big minutes vs San Jose and then rolling into yesterday.

I don’t think McTavish has been the type of defensive stalwart that makes a difference to the opposing shot totals in any meaningful fashion. He’s been scoring in the offensive zone, but it’s been on transition plays, not so much cycling, and he’s been the worst of the three at being in position, getting back, and taking stupid penalties because of it. Carlsson yes, but we’ve had both out before and not been shelled like this.

Gudas was stagnant in the last game in the third period. In this game, Gudas looked slow as the game progressed. On the first PK goal against in the 2nd period, Gudas couldn't quite get to the spot to block a shot. He looked like he wasn't moving much. heh The video should begin at the start of the Devils' PP. There was no real energy in Gudas.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
Gudas was stagnant in the last game in the third period. In this game, Gudas looked slow as the game progressed. On the first PK goal against in the 2nd period, Gudas couldn't quite get to the spot to block a shot. He looked like he wasn't moving much. heh The video should begin at the start of the Devils' PP. There was no real energy in Gudas.

Dude played TWENTY-EIGHT MINUTES, about 50% above his career average the game before, followed by another 22 last night. The kind of shit that's going to happen when your top minute-getter is out, and will keep happening (and piling up).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Dude played TWENTY-EIGHT MINUTES, about 50% above his career average the game before, followed by another 22 last night. The kind of shit that's going to happen when your top minute-getter is out, and will keep happening (and piling up).

Which many on this board didn't comprehend about Gudas by simply saying Gudas can play top pairing minutes. On that point, it should also give more respect to Fowler's ability to play 25 minutes a game without looking fatigued like Gudas.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Which many on this board didn't comprehend about Gudas by simply saying Gudas can play top pairing minutes. On that point, it should also give more respect to Fowler's ability to play 25 minutes a game without looking fatigued like Gudas.
Fowler can play a lot of minutes, but that doesn’t mean he should. Gudas isn’t a top pairing guy. At some point the org needs to test the young D to see if they can handle more challenging usage.

Reactions: DuckRogers10

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Fowler can play a lot of minutes, but that doesn’t mean he should. Gudas isn’t a top pairing guy. At some point the org needs to test the young D to see if they can handle more challenging usage.
Our defense is a 2nd pairing veteran, what might fairly be called two journeymen, and three rookies. Next year, would seem to be the sensible time, as opposed to 60 games in.

Ideally Mintyukov, LaCombe, and Zellweger would all have spent all or most of the year in the AHL IMO. It worked for Weber and Keith.

Reactions: Mortal Wombat

Mortal Wombat

Dec 7, 2014
Our defense is a 2nd pairing veteran, what might fairly be called two journeymen, and three rookies. Next year, would seem to be the sensible time, as opposed to 60 games in.

Ideally Mintyukov, LaCombe, and Zellweger would all have spent all or most of the year in the AHL IMO. It worked for Weber and Keith.
Exactly. For a guy who says he likes to overripen prospects, Verbeek doesn't seem to be doing much overripening.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Zellweger did, LaCombe is an older college guy, and Mintyukov looked liked he belonged from the jump. Cherry-picking Weber and Keith while ignoring all the successful D that skipped the AHL isn’t convincing.

Reactions: JAHV

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I actually think it’s not a bad time to at least get them reps of that lvl…. Let me see/feel the difference in preparation for next year

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Zellweger did, LaCombe is an older college guy, and Mintyukov looked liked he belonged from the jump. Cherry-picking Weber and Keith while ignoring all the successful D that skipped the AHL isn’t convincing.
Most of the D that skipped the AHL were either top 3 draft picks and/or spent the entire first 1-2 years nowhere near top 3-4 ice time.

Mintyukov has been on the bottom pairing the entire year. LaCombe has struggled higher than the 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad