GDT: Game 6 - Stars @ Flames, 8:30 MT

hockeyisforkids

Dec 3, 2009
I'm a Jets fan and I was hoping you guys could pull toff because I hate Dallas. It wasn't all goaltending that screwed it all up, It was LUCIC LUCIC. He took that stupid penalty that gave them life.. Then he takes another one. Gotta get rid of him. Good luck next year.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
apparently there was tide-changing Lucic penalty that rattled the team?
The puck over the glass?

The so-called "goaltender interference" was textbook embellishment and the officials should be embarrassed for making that call.

I've seen a couple of people saying this, but if anything this game would prove the opposite. Season on the line and the core came to play with probably their best game of the season. They completely dominated the Stars and outchanced them all game long.
What's unfortunate is that, despite all of this, they still got curb stomped. That speaks volumes.

Sure, you can point a finger at goaltending but is the system they were playing and allowing them to dominate create holes that would not have otherwise been there? Is this team so mentally fragile that one goal against destroys all confidence? Why did they stop skating about 18 minutes into the first period? Why did it take Gaudreau five games to show up for this series? What was Lindholm doing? What offense did Monahan bring? Why pull Talbot (instead of the timeout) after the third goal? Easily Gio's best game of the playoffs but he was still a step and a half behind and outplayed by Forbort. Were they being asked to do things that they're not capable of, or (god forbid) not willing to do?

These are all pointing to coaching decisions. Bad coaching decisions. And perhaps we continue to see evidence of bad (or non-existent) goalie coaching. The "interim" tag will be removed from Ward all right - and it will be replaced by "former".

I'm happy to have been given the opportunity to see 10 (well 11) games this summer after being sure the season was done. Sure it was a sister-kisser to beat a depleted Jets team, but this result after this series, and the one against Colorado, has exposed the weakness of this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlamerForLife

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I came here to see what you guys thought about Rittich, because I was wondering if he's done in Calgary too? He's a competitor, a fiery guy but his final stretch of games and then what happened tonight does management go a different direction?

I see he's signed for 1 more season, so maybe they're happy to role with him in a 1A 1B system... But then do they resign Talbot or go after a bigger fish to be the 1A guy?

He isn’t done here. He’s got another year on his deal. I don’t see us trading him either. The question is if Talbot is back.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
@Dube Dube Doo if the holes in the system take away quality chances and allow lower-percentage shots, I think it's a good thing regardless of whether they get stopped or not.

I agree with you, though, the series was lost because of how they played prior to this game, not because of this game itself.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I stopped watching the game when it was 3-3. I could see where it was going. A while later I flipped the game back on to check if, by some miracle, the Flames got their shit together. The score was 6-3. Changed the channel and never went back.

I slept well last night. Its amazing how NOT watching a train wreck, helps a person get a good nights sleep.

I hope the Flames, this off season, make meaningful roster changes because it must be obvious to even the most obtuse, that the current roster just can't get the job done.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think we've all been there watching the Flames and the fact Tkachuk feels the same given a birds-eye view of the past few games gives me hope. I hope he tears the paint off Treliving's walls if we stand pat this off-season

Treliving didn't stand pat though. He just had bad luck in having a ton of his trades fall through (ie: Kadri trade). Treliving is also not the type of guy to make a trade for the sake of a trade, but I'm guessing the Neal situation was so toxic he had to do the Lucic trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad