GDT: Game 6 - Stars @ Flames, 8:30 MT

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Couldn't watch the game so uh wtf happened? Like I expected this but uh yeah wtf

who was good? who was bad?

The only guys I want to keep: Bennett, Dube, Brodie, Tkachuk, Andersson, Mangiepane.
Maybe: Backlund, Lindholm, Johnny, Ryan, Reider

Rest can leave.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
If I had to pin this game on anyone I'm looking at Ward and Lucic. Two dumb penalties that let them back in it, and putting in a cold goalie after four months of not playing in a tie game. Just... terrible decision making all around

Reactions: Boomstick

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Couldn't watch the game so uh wtf happened? Like I expected this but uh yeah wtf

who was good? who was bad?

Who was good?

Most of the skaters.

Bennett.
Gaudreau.
Brodie. Oh so much. Best Flame tonight.
Mangiapane.
Backlund.
Dube.
Andersson.
Rieder.
Jankowski.
Ryan.
Robinson.

These guys really brought it tonight. I noticed them for all the right reasons for the most part.

Who wasn't?

Only a few of the skaters. Lindholm and Monahan were disappointing. Lucic took two penalties he could have avoided and they both ended up in the back of the net unfortunately, although the goalie needed to kill those for him.

Cam Talbot. Let in three goals he should have had and got himself pulled.

David Rittich. Came in cold, and struggled with rebound control. Got himself pulled.

Cam Talbot. Let in yet another bad goal in his second chance.

Yeah.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Who was good?

Most of the skaters.

Bennett.
Gaudreau.
Brodie. Oh so much. Best Flame tonight.
Mangiapane.
Backlund.
Dube.
Andersson.
Rieder.
Jankowski.
Ryan.
Robinson.

These guys really brought it tonight. I noticed them for all the right reasons for the most part.

Who wasn't?

Only a few of the skaters. Lindholm and Monahan were disappointing. Lucic took two penalties he could have avoided and they both ended up in the back of the net unfortunately, although the goalie needed to kill those for him.

Cam Talbot. Let in three goals he should have had and got himself pulled.

David Rittich. Came in cold, and struggled with rebound control. Got himself pulled.

Cam Talbot. Let in yet another bad goal in his second chance.

Yeah.
Jesus we went back to Talbot again? Never good when a coach double yanks. I think Rittich is done in Calgary tbh

Man oh man, I'm going to miss Brodie. He deserves to know just how much of a positive difference he's been for this team. Only Giordano ever talks about him which is sad. The way our media and our fans threw him under the bus for the team's troubles for 3 full years just really sucked to see.

I hope Treliving wakes up and sees Bennett should be the centerpiece now.

We have good pieces who bring it. Gut-check time for Treliving this off-season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Ward just said putting Rittich in wasn't a mistake and that Talbot was pulled due to an equipment issue (CP is saying this).

Get this lousy lying shit outta here. It's one thing to make a mistake, but half-heartedly covering ur ass?! 0/10

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Ward just said putting Rittich in wasn't a mistake and that Talbot was pulled due to an equipment issue (CP is saying this).

Get this lousy lying shit outta here. It's one thing to make a mistake, but half-heartedly covering ur ass?! 0/10

No. Ward said he pulled Talbot to calm him down and expected to our him back sooner. But Talbot went to the room for an equipment issue and Rittich had to play longer.

Talbot didn't mention an equipment issue and said he went to the room to calm down.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No. Ward said he pulled Talbot to calm him down and expected to our him back sooner. But Talbot went to the room for an equipment issue and Rittich had to play longer.

Talbot didn't mention an equipment issue and said he went to the room to calm down.

Then perhaps I'm wrong. Idk idc to listen to it rn... it's just blehhhhh.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Then perhaps I'm wrong. Idk idc to listen to it rn... it's just blehhhhh.

Yeah, SN was commenting that Talbot didn't mention an equipment issue, but that the two comments might not be contradictory.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would say Colorado, Vancouver, Pitt over Calgary

Vancouver and Pittsburgh have their own cap problems to worry about. The Canucks especially. They have Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli as big UFAs to sign.

Colorado could swing it but it's not like they're having trouble scoring. They'll have to pay Makar pretty soon too. I could see the California teams taking a swing though.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Vancouver and Pittsburgh have their own cap problems to worry about. The Canucks especially. They have Markstrom, Tanev, and Toffoli as big UFAs to sign.

Colorado could swing it but it's not like they're having trouble scoring. They'll have to pay Makar pretty soon too. I could see the California teams taking a swing though.

Don't know why you included Toffoli as he was a rental. If the Canucks want to resign Markstrom they have more than enough room.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't know why you included Toffoli as he was a rental. If the Canucks want to resign Markstrom they have more than enough room.

They have Pettersson AND Hughes to sign after next year. But ya, throw 65 million at Taylor Hall. Sounds like a great idea.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016

First shot talbot is a classy enough guy not to try n blame the gear even if he had some issue . Dude has the worst case of the yips but hes solid if he can survive the first 3 minutes. calgary got good talbot in this round.

Lucic is still my favorite flame. until they sign hall.

Reactions: Fig

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
apparently there was tide-changing Lucic penalty that rattled the team?
No, not really. That's just the story created by the result. Lucic did take a silly penalty and they scored on the PP. Then we went right back to carrying play for the rest of the period. Start of the second period featured two goals off nothing plays where Cam was napping, but it wasn't really a case of the Flames getting outplayed.

A detailed analysis of the goals against (this is painful):

1) Hard one-timer by Heiskanen, but without any real traffic he failed to close his blocker arm against his side and it blew through him.
2) Talbot stopped following the play or else just lost track of what was happening, but Gurianov took a hopeful wrist shot from the half-wall and Talbot was giving him about 2 feet short-side.
3) A point shot going 6 feet wide hits Gurianov's skate and heads along the ice towards the net. Talbot leaves a hole between his pads and the puck finds it. It was a deflection, but a slow-enough one to allow for reaction time.
4) Rittich stops a PP one-timer, but kicks the rebound into the d-man standing at the top of the crease instead of directing it to the corner. It bounces behind him and Faksa just barely beats our d-man to the puck to push it in.
5) A nothing point shot at Rittich's glove gets bobbled behind him. Gus's attempt to clear the puck out of the goal-mouth goes directly into Pavelski's skate and in.
6) Gurianov goes one-on-one on Gio. Takes a wrister through Gio's legs from the top of the circles and beats Rittich clean up high.
7) Talbot back in. Kicks a rebound on a weak shot so far into the slot that it goes beyond the players crashing to the crease for the rebound. Gurianov skates in and snaps a nice shot blocker side, but that rebound was horrendous.

Reactions: Mobiandi

TheButcher90

Sep 19, 2019
I like the way the series ended, the management group will have no choice to do some significative move or just see that this core will not go far away in the playoffs

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I like the way the series ended, the management group will have no choice to do some significative move or just see that this core will not go far away in the playoffs
I've seen a couple of people saying this, but if anything this game would prove the opposite. Season on the line and the core came to play with probably their best game of the season. They completely dominated the Stars and outchanced them all game long.

What it might do is stop the Flames from giving Talbot a big contract, but if they do make a big change with the core it will not be due to this game.

TheButcher90

Sep 19, 2019
I've seen a couple of people saying this, but if anything this game would prove the opposite. Season on the line and the core came to play with probably their best game of the season. They completely dominated the Stars and outchanced them all game long.

What it might do is stop the Flames from giving Talbot a big contract, but if they do make a big change with the core it will not be due to this game.
Agreed 100% for talbot contract/signing. But, for me, that next opponent (Vegas/STL/Col) will destroy us anyway so this core has to be changed because we can't pass that first round to measure us against contenders

Last edited:

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Didn't see it, I was at work, but listened to it.
Was super excited in the first period and then all hell broke loose.
Wills and Lou at the end of the game said everyone played well except for the two goalies.
Tough to blame Talbot for me since he's had 9 pretty awesome starts for us. Unfortunately the 10th game was his bad game.
Sucks that we're eliminated, I'm not prepared to be out since hockey just came back.
As much as it sucks I don't think we were going very far in the 2nd round, but who the heck knows.
Trying to be positive, but i'm really upset. I hate when Flames hockey ends.
Off season will be extremely interesting.
I hope we get a full time head coach. I don't know what to expect.
Anyone know our drafting position?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't see it, I was at work, but listened to it.
Was super excited in the first period and then all hell broke loose.
Wills and Lou at the end of the game said everyone played well except for the two goalies.
Tough to blame Talbot for me since he's had 9 pretty awesome starts for us. Unfortunately the 10th game was his bad game.
Sucks that we're eliminated, I'm not prepared to be out since hockey just came back.
As much as it sucks I don't think we were going very far in the 2nd round, but who the heck knows.
Trying to be positive, but i'm really upset. I hate when Flames hockey ends.
Off season will be extremely interesting.
I hope we get a full time head coach. I don't know what to expect.
Anyone know our drafting position?

This much is true even if no big moves are made. With Brodie and Hamonic's contracts (among others) ending and Valimaki primed to make the jump, along with the current coach still carrying an interim label, Treliving has probably the most flexibility we've ever seen going into an off-season.

The team needs to sign some free agents in several positions, and there happen to be quite a few available for each. The team probably should hire a real coach, and there happen to be a few available. There are a lot of different ways that Tre could prioritize and decide where to spend money, so I'm very interested to see what unfolds.

Reactions: Boomstick

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
No, not really. That's just the story created by the result. Lucic did take a silly penalty and they scored on the PP. Then we went right back to carrying play for the rest of the period. Start of the second period featured two goals off nothing plays where Cam was napping, but it wasn't really a case of the Flames getting outplayed.

A detailed analysis of the goals against (this is painful):

1) Hard one-timer by Heiskanen, but without any real traffic he failed to close his blocker arm against his side and it blew through him.
2) Talbot stopped following the play or else just lost track of what was happening, but Gurianov took a hopeful wrist shot from the half-wall and Talbot was giving him about 2 feet short-side.
3) A point shot going 6 feet wide hits Gurianov's skate and heads along the ice towards the net. Talbot leaves a hole between his pads and the puck finds it. It was a deflection, but a slow-enough one to allow for reaction time.
4) Rittich stops a PP one-timer, but kicks the rebound into the d-man standing at the top of the crease instead of directing it to the corner. It bounces behind him and Faksa just barely beats our d-man to the puck to push it in.
5) A nothing point shot at Rittich's glove gets bobbled behind him. Gus's attempt to clear the puck out of the goal-mouth goes directly into Pavelski's skate and in.
6) Gurianov goes one-on-one on Gio. Takes a wrister through Gio's legs from the top of the circles and beats Rittich clean up high.
7) Talbot back in. Kicks a rebound on a weak shot so far into the slot that it goes beyond the players crashing to the crease for the rebound. Gurianov skates in and snaps a nice shot blocker side, but that rebound was horrendous.
Thanks for the summary!

Had a gut feeling the goalie(s) would have a stinker. Just a shame we couldn't put game 4 away to give us the opportunity to put this one behind us

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

Stolen from main thread.

New GIFS!

I think we've all been there watching the Flames and the fact Tkachuk feels the same given a birds-eye view of the past few games gives me hope. I hope he tears the paint off Treliving's walls if we stand pat this off-season

Reactions: Fig

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
Jesus we went back to Talbot again? Never good when a coach double yanks. I think Rittich is done in Calgary tbh

Man oh man, I'm going to miss Brodie. He deserves to know just how much of a positive difference he's been for this team. Only Giordano ever talks about him which is sad. The way our media and our fans threw him under the bus for the team's troubles for 3 full years just really sucked to see.

I hope Treliving wakes up and sees Bennett should be the centerpiece now.

We have good pieces who bring it. Gut-check time for Treliving this off-season.

I came here to see what you guys thought about Rittich, because I was wondering if he's done in Calgary too? He's a competitor, a fiery guy but his final stretch of games and then what happened tonight does management go a different direction?

I see he's signed for 1 more season, so maybe they're happy to role with him in a 1A 1B system... But then do they resign Talbot or go after a bigger fish to be the 1A guy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->