Post-Game Talk: Game #6: Rangers vs. San Jose Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Sorry, but a top-6 forward he is not. Not even close.

Two years ago our best line was Hagelin-Stepan-Nash.

As someone else posted, his skills and work ethic make him able to contribute positively regardless of who he's with. No one's saying he's the world's greatest player.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Keep in mind nash has never had a normal start to a season with us. He came to us during the lockout season with no real camp and everyone struggled to find their games

Then last year with the concussion he never got his rhythm

This is the first time as a ranger he had a normal offseason then camp and start to a full season. If he stays healthy he will be a beast which is what he's been his entire career

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
The "not even close" part is what is inaccurate. In terms of statistical production, he was about 45th in scoring among left wings last season (the same for right wings--he's in that range for wingers in general). That would put him in average second line wing territory. Ideally, and on a contender, he's a third line wing; on many teams in the league he's a competent second line player.

You mean 2nd liners don't score 25 goals and 60 points?

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Haha, nice.

The beauty of a player like Hags is that with his skills, he's a true utility player. He can player on any line and be relatively effective. That's what elite skating and a great work ethic can do for you.

It looks more and more likely that the concussion was the main culprit behind his down season. I mean, how else can you explain it? Yes, he's in better shape, better conditioned, etc., but that's something that you can say for half of the team each season. He just looks like a different player.

Where's the guy that said a couple weeks ago that Nasher was just looking to collect a pay check? ;) Right now, he looks more dominant than any single player we've had since Jagr's record-setting season.

Law of averages coming into play as well. His statistically poor post season is being even out by leading the league in goals to start the regular season.

AHB*

Keep in mind nash has never had a normal start to a season with us. He came to us during the lockout season with no real camp and everyone struggled to find their games

Then last year with the concussion he never got his rhythm

This is the first time as a ranger he had a normal offseason then camp and start to a full season. If he stays healthy he will be a beast which is what he's been his entire career

He was awesome in that lockout season and looks very similar to how he does now. People just tend to have short-term memories.

Nash, along with Hank, drove us into the playoffs that year.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
Law of averages coming into play as well. His statistically poor post season is being even out by leading the league in goals to start the regular season.

He looks like a completely different player this year. He looks like he did during the lockout year when he was, just like now, healthy.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I remember Nash saying in one of those cheezy Garden Vision Get To Know You's that his favorite food is steak and potato. Why is this even worth bringing up? Because he was always a thick guy and probably relied on his strength more than anything else.

Guy is 30 now so it's time to change the diet. More quinoa, protein shakes, veggie, and tofu meals. Not Gary Roberts extreme but modifications.

He's obviously changed his diet because he looks leaner and is playing quicker. Whether it lasts the whole season is anyone's guess but it would be cool to see him challenge Jagr's record.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider Stepan MSL
Hags Hayes Nash
Duclair Brassard Zucc
Glass Moore Stempniak

To me would be awesome

AHB*

Kreider Stepan MSL
Hags Hayes Nash
Duclair Brassard Zucc
Glass Moore Stempniak

To me would be awesome

Malone shouldn't be benched and Stempniak shouldn't be on the 4th line. Duke is going to go back to juniors. The infatuation with starting him is becoming slightly absurd. If we were Edmonton or something, he'd certainly make it, but he's not ready to play a top-9 role on a contender.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
And really if u don't want to keep Duclair and U want malone on that fourth line put Stempniak on brassard's left

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Why can't Stempniak be on the 4th line in this system? He gets plenty of ice we have 3 rws ahead of him it's makes us a better team if he is

Malone I don't believe in whatsoever he can't skate

AHB*

Why can't Stempniak be on the 4th line in this system? He gets plenty of ice we have 3 rws ahead of him it's makes us a better team if he is

Malone I don't believe in whatsoever he can't skate

Malone has looked good in the few games hes played. I hated him during the pre-season, but he's looked very effective during the regular season and has helped our power play look much better (they do need to start scoring, though).

Stempniak can play on the LW. He has been one of our best players. Putting him on the 4th line to make room for a rookie who hasn't looked as good as him and isn't as savvy makes no sense at all.

This team is supposed to be contending, we're not the type of team that needs to take unnecessary lumps to prematurely promote a young player.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Malone has played 3 games now I think? One he barely played and was stapled to the bench he was alrigjt yesterday skating against an exhausted sharks team

He hasn't done anything special

We are better with a fourth line of glass Moore Stempniak in this system where av likes to roll 4 lines

We're a better team with Duclair no doubt in my mind

AHB*

Malone has played 3 games now I think? One he barely played and was stapled to the bench he was alrigjt yesterday skating against an exhausted sharks team

He hasn't done anything special

We are better with a fourth line of glass Moore Stempniak in this system where av likes to roll 4 lines

We're a better team with Duclair no doubt in my mind

Major doubt in my mind. And Malone's played

11:40
12:02
11:39

Pretty consistent if you ask me. At no point has he been "stapled" to the bench. I didn't want him anywhere near this team, but he's been good since coming in and given some much needed balance and size to the PP and that 4th line.

Until he plays bad, I'll support him in the lineup. Duke just doesn't look ready to me yet. He is invisible far too often and his points have mostly come in garbage time. I just think he looks slightly overwhelmed with how physical the NHL is. He'll be a good player, I have no doubt, just not quite yet.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Rolling 4 lines doesn't mean that all 4 lines are getting the same ice time. Last year, our 4C got just about 25% less ice time than our 3C. Stempniak has earned the right to play more than 10 ES minutes per game. Duclair really hasn't.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
U didn't see av go to 3 lines against Carolina? I did malone wasnt one of the players playing

If Stempniak plays 10 mins of even strength plus pp and Pk I mean how many more mins do u want him playing? He's not an all star he's a perfect fit on Moores wing

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
U didn't see av go to 3 lines against Carolina? I did malone wasnt one of the players playing

If Stempniak plays 10 mins of even strength plus pp and Pk I mean how many more mins do u want him playing? He's not an all star he's a perfect fit on Moores wing

He went to 3 lines because there were only 3 centers in the lineup. Notice who was benched? Malone, Glass, Duclair. Wingers.

I want Stemp playing 13 or so ES minutes. 3rd line. That's where he's effective and has been in his career. Good teams put players in the roles they're best suited for, not overdo it with their depth simply because it's there.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I thought the 4th line looked good last night. Glass-Mueller-Malone was good on the body and had some decent pressure. Mueller looked comfortable which was a plus.

Malone's size was useful down low and on the PP.

Hayes just continues to get better and more confident. That Kreider-Hayes-Nash line was very good down low and on the rush. (3) big bodies who can control the puck and push the pace.

Hagelin is a core player here. Speed, PKing, scores ~20 goals every year. He is a difference maker and although it's not always pretty, he forces turnovers and is hard on the forecheck. Definite keeper.

Hunwick has quietly been very efficient in his game and he and Moore have been good together. They use their speed to exit the zone quickly. Quietly a very good pairing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He went to 3 lines because there were only 3 centers in the lineup. Notice who was benched? Malone, Glass, Duclair. Wingers.

I want Stemp playing 13 or so ES minutes. 3rd line. That's where he's effective and has been in his career. Good teams put players in the roles they're best suited for, not overdo it with their depth simply because it's there.

Agreed, but he also needs someone who can get him the puck in space. Need a center

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Agreed, but he also needs someone who can get him the puck in space. Need a center

When Stepan comes back, I expect that center to be Hayes. Either that, or it will be Stepan himself if AV doesn't want to mess with the big line. Right now, the 3rd line just needs to contribute positively in terms of defense and possession. It isn't about points. That's what happens when the 1C gets injured.

AHB*

You didn't see Malone get bumped up to the 3rd line in that game? Duclair got bumped down, Malone didn't miss a shift, because he was playing on the 3rd line.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
You didn't see Malone get bumped up to the 3rd line in that game? Duclair got bumped down, Malone didn't miss a shift, because he was playing on the 3rd line.

Yah for 2 shifts before he was stapled to the bench when AV saw be clearly didn't belong there lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad