Game 6: Nashville Predators @ Phoenix Coyotes |1-28-13| 7PM

wpgyotes

Bye Bryz
Jul 6, 2006
How has Korpikoski been early on this season? Has he been on PP? Any chance he will be getting top6-minutes this season or next?

He's an asset to this team, but I wouldn't go running to your fantasy league to add him based on a one-goal performance. He lines up with Boyd Gordon currently, who isn't exactly known for his playmaking ability (his assist tonight hit him in the chest and bounced onto Korpi's stick). We are a better team with Lauri for sure, but if he gets 10 goals in this shortened season I think we'll all be happy.

Disclaimer - game synopsis you've all heard already but bears repeating so I can get my two cents worth in appears below:

Yandle looked like the Norris candidate from two seasons ago. Beast.

Chad Johnson was obviously nervous in there to start, but they gave the Preds absolutely nothing in the first and he settled in from there. Sound positionally, which is a stark contrast to Barbs. He might just be the stop-gap we need until Smith gets back and into top form again.

This lineup, with Torres in for Biz / Hanzal in for Bolduc and Klesla in for Rundblad, is as good as any we've iced. Whether that translates into a playoff spot remains to be seen, but if they battle like they did tonight in all areas of the ice - on a consistent basis - we'll be right in the thick of things come April.

krepitch

Coyote Fan
Jul 15, 2009
Phoenix
I think Johnson should be the center with Bods & Vrbata, I can't stand that Tipp has got Bolduc there, he ruined a lot of good things Bods was doing tonight.

I'm thinking that the coaching staff just had to make a guess on that personnel decision because they didn't get to see the borderline guys play with the NHLers in camp and preseason.

Seems like things are starting to settle out a little bit and Johnson will get more minutes.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I just noticed the coyotes are 3rd in shots on goal and 7th in scoring. Who would have thought? The production is a pleasant surprise and I hope it continues. I think it will come down some league wide as defenses and systems tighten a little but I hope the coyotes keep those rankings production wise. I don't think the production is a result of taking more chances, I actually think less turnovers will help the production.

Naych_PHX

Hey now!
Jun 14, 2004
phoenix
Interesting that Nick Johnson did so well, yet he had the least amount of ice time just ahead of Bissonette.

Easy to say this now but from early in the 1st, it was evident this was the best the coyotes have played this so far this season. I guess like Yandle was saying, they just had their legs under them tonight. I don't know what it is about Rinne, he's a damn good goalie but we just have his number for some reason. I'm really liking this '13 version of Dmo, he's playing like it's his UFA year. And kudos to Schlemko, blocking shots with his back, then a kick save.

I hope they go back to C.Johnson next game. Send Babar down when Smith gets back! Probably won't happen. Only 1 more game till Raffi-time!

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
@bretthansen5
#Coyotes on @FOXSPORTSAZ last night did a 1.3 rating = their best reg season rtg since 1.3 on 10/16/10 (DET) & 1.4 on 4/3/10 EDM
Nearly tripled their viewing audience
last night. Viewers slowly become ticket buyers.

Wow that is impressive, their best regular season ratings in almost 3 years. I think maybe more people might be checking out the Coyotes because football is over, the Suns suck, no baseball yet, and they assumed the ownership thing has been solved.

krepitch

Coyote Fan
Jul 15, 2009
Phoenix
Wow that is impressive, their best regular season ratings in almost 3 years. I think maybe more people might be checking out the Coyotes because football is over, the Suns suck, no baseball yet, and they assumed the ownership thing has been solved.

I agree with all of your reasons.

Granted, it is just one game, but I think it also means that people do care about the Coyotes - it's just too difficult for most people to get home, get dressed, get dinner, get the kids, and get out to Glendale by 7:00.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona

Granted, it is just one game, but I think it also means that people do care about the Coyotes - it's just too difficult for most people to get home, get dressed, get dinner, get the kids, and get out to Glendale by 7:00.

It is. By the time I get off work and get home, it's 7:15. I missed Vermette's goal! :cry:

TickleMeYandle

Not so fast,
Dec 19, 2011
I would have loved to see a 4-0 game, but I had my own game to play. I sent the husband and the boy in my place. We didn't do quite so well, ended up on the wrong end of a 0-3 game. :-(

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
I would have loved to see a 4-0 game, but I had my own game to play. I sent the husband and the boy in my place. We didn't do quite so well, ended up on the wrong end of a 0-3 game. :-(

Tough. Better luck next time!

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
N. Johnson draws his fourth minor penalty in two games, and roofs a goal up top. Really liking this guy as the 4th RW. No need for Bissonnette on this team. I'd much rather keep Chipchura and Bolduc up than Biz.

XX, I still don't hate your Steckel idea. With Torres, Moss, Chipchura, and Johnson already in the bottom six, Steckel gives us a ton of beef in the lower lines.

I like Vermette a lot better than that 2nd we gave up. He's been so good.

Speaking of good, Morris and Schlemko have been great.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Watched the condensed game on GCL. Nick Johnson features in easily 60% of the highlights. Such an interesting lineup for Tippett to work with. Now with Torres returning we finally have third and fourth line energy players like May-Letowski-Wilson used to be.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

Same situation, caught the first period on TV then went over to Gilbert and lost 3-2... funny coincidence, today I'm in SkiPro getting fitted for rental skis for this weekend, kid fitting me out was the opposing goalie from last night. And, turns out I used to be teammates on a different team with his older brother.

Deputy Dawg

Jan 19, 2013

Sure it was only one game...but it was the Preds (not exactly a major draw).

Edit: No disrepect to Preds fans. We're in the same boat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad